• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I'm just not cut out for competitive golf!!! Have a blast playing for quarters with our "geezer group". But, that's mainly for the social aspect. Seems every time I've attempted to play competitively, my mind and body seem to morph into a person totally unfamiliar with the Game of golf.

Shot 81 from the back tees yesterday. Had a match this morning at 8 a.m. I asked to play the geezer tees, in that we were both of similar age. He wanted to play the back tees so we flipped a coin. I lost. Also used to playing fairly quickly. At 8 on a Sunday, the course was already moving slow. We had my match and another two match going as a foursome. Everyone seemed to be in a focused, quiet, serious, don't breathe while I hit mood. Complete and total change from my usual game. And, I folded!!!

Could not get off the tee. Doubt I had one second shot on a par 4 that was under 200 yards simply because I could not hit driver, Mini, or 3-wood off the tee. Left... right... HARD right... Anywhere but fairway. Putter was balky. I was down 4 at the turn. Won the first 3 holes on the back and got it to 1 down. Then, the bottom fell out. Lost 4 & 3. No excuse. No reason. Nothing but a mind that turned to complete mush... mine!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I'm just not cut out for competitive golf!!! Have a blast playing for quarters with our "geezer group". But, that's mainly for the social aspect. Seems every time I've attempted to play competitively, my mind and body seem to morph into a person totally unfamiliar with the Game of golf.

Shot 81 from the back tees yesterday. Had a match this morning at 8 a.m. I asked to play the geezer tees, in that we were both of similar age. He wanted to play the back tees so we flipped a coin. I lost. Also used to playing fairly quickly. At 8 on a Sunday, the course was already moving slow. We had my match and another two match going as a foursome. Everyone seemed to be in a focused, quiet, serious, don't breathe while I hit mood. Complete and total change from my usual game. And, I folded!!!

Could not get off the tee. Doubt I had one second shot on a par 4 that was under 200 yards simply because I could not hit driver, Mini, or 3-wood off the tee. Left... right... HARD right... Anywhere but fairway. Putter was balky. I was down 4 at the turn. Won the first 3 holes on the back and got it to 1 down. Then, the bottom fell out. Lost 4 & 3. No excuse. No reason. Nothing but a mind that turned to complete mush... mine!!!

The most difficult 6" on a golf course is the distance between your ears. Turn that brain of yours off and play like you know how to old man!!!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

I used to get psyched out. Once we moved to FL and I started playing USGA rules in 3 league matches per week, competitive golf becomes "normal". Just relax and let it happen - play like you don't care - play like it's your buddie's quarters match.

Remember the paradoxes of golf:
The harder you swing, the worse you hit it
The harder you try, the worse you play
The more you focus on score, the higher it goes
The more you care/worry, the fears come true.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Played with Joe from Chicago today, a mid-30's nice guy. Thought he would kill me. Had a nice swing etc etc. I actually beat him but really didn't matter. I played like shit. 46/46=92. Couldn't chip or putt. Hit the driver good and irons not bad but short game totally sucked. So I know where my scoring lies.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yesterday, 77. Today? Same course. Same person swinging the club. Same clubs. 84!! 7 strokes difference. Where? Easy par 4... Triple!! Two doubles. 3+2+2=7!!
Yesterday, low round of the six guys who were playing. Won 75 cents. Today, high round of the four players... won $1.25???
Evidently got into some poison ivy yesterday. Kept me awake from about 2 a.m. on. May be why I folded on the back nine today.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Started 44 on front nine. Not playing good. Found some things on the back nine. 39. Was coming into the last 3 holes 1 over par. Of course I bogeyed 2 of the 3. Played with a new member who just retired. We're gonna try to play together again. Got along good and about equal golfers. Nice day!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Dark skies to the west. Headed off #1. Finished #2 and the rain, thunder, lightening blew up. Wet by the time I was able to pull the cart under the porch at the clubhouse. Dumped an inch of rain in about 40 minutes. Looked like more behind it so put the cart away and headed home. No more than walked in the house and the sun popped out. Everything behind the rain that hit us broke up and disappeared. Too lazy and too involved in a library book to go back out. It's not like I'm crawling the walls with "golf withdrawal".

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.