• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
So here's an interesting one. I was playing with my son the other night. He's 15 and full of energy, and hits a pretty good ball, off an 8 index. On our 2nd he hit a poor drive into the rough on the right. He has 200+ yards uphill and into the breeze. The ball is lying not great and he has a 15ft bank 20 yards ahead of him to clear. There is danger everywhere near the green. He pulls out the 3 wood and goes to set up.

My initial reaction was to say nothing. But then I intervened, well I had to, I'm his dad. I asked him to consider his options. I told him he had about 10% chance of hitting the green. And that if he hit 8 iron and then wedge he would still have a putt for par.

He goes ahead and hits the three wood and pulls it left into heavy rough, short and left of the green. So I asked him to throw down another ball and try my suggested route. He duly puts his 8i/PW onto the green and when we go to find his first it is lost.

We discussed it on the next tee. He still thinks he had the right strategy with the three wood and that I had put him off. Ah, the ignorance of youth!

So, should I keep my trap shut in future?
As parents its is our job to help educate the next generation.

My son just finished his 1st year on the high school golf team, he's in 8th grade so he played up, the other kids hit the ball a LOT further than he does. He was discouraged and I noticed him swinging harder and with less control as the season continued. I asked him if he was trying to keep up distance-wise with the other kids and he said yes. I asked him why and he didn't have a good answer. I told him to play his game and he'd have to out think them around the course. He finished the year as the #5 and goes into the offseason with a lot of experience and can't wait for next year.

Sometimes there is a lot to learn from people who have been there before and I think you steered your son in the right direction.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
As parents its is our job to help educate the next generation.

My son just finished his 1st year on the high school golf team, he's in 8th grade so he played up, the other kids hit the ball a LOT further than he does. He was discouraged and I noticed him swinging harder and with less control as the season continued. I asked him if he was trying to keep up distance-wise with the other kids and he said yes. I asked him why and he didn't have a good answer. I told him to play his game and he'd have to out think them around the course. He finished the year as the #5 and goes into the offseason with a lot of experience and can't wait for next year.

Sometimes there is a lot to learn from people who have been there before and I think you steered your son in the right direction.
It's hard enough in adulthood to not get sucked up into your opponent's game/ability, let alone as an 8th grader. If he can grasp that lesson, he'll have a HUGE head start on his peers. I was in a group today with 2 guys who outdrive me by 20 to 40 yards. I beat one of them and only lost to the other by 2 strokes, playing to my own ability.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
It's hard enough in adulthood to not get sucked up into your opponent's game/ability, let alone as an 8th grader. If he can grasp that lesson, he'll have a HUGE head start on his peers. I was in a group today with 2 guys who outdrive me by 20 to 40 yards. I beat one of them and only lost to the other by 2 strokes, playing to my own ability.

Look at all of you gettin philosophical. papaD think about tittie5 when he plays.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Look at all of you gettin philosophical. papaD think about tittie5 when he plays.

Ooooh! Nothing like a good pair of tittie5.

titties.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.