• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Yep. They are really nothing more than a G20 with new clothes. You know you can play well with them.
I really believe they have a little more bounce than the G20's I had. I know the bottom flange is wider. I was able to "pick" the G20's where I can't the G-Max. The G20's were a solid club. Played quite a few rounds with them. I assumed moving to the G-Max would present no change whatsoever. It did and I wasn't prepared for it.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I really believe they have a little more bounce than the G20's I had. I know the bottom flange is wider. I was able to "pick" the G20's where I can't the G-Max. The G20's were a solid club. Played quite a few rounds with them. I assumed moving to the G-Max would present no change whatsoever. It did and I wasn't prepared for it.
Here ya go Limp! G-Max specs are the lower pic. They do have more bounce and the GMAX are .25" to .5" longer in length and jacked lofts in the longer irons with LIGHT swingweights. Not surprised they would take some adjustment. Personally, I don't like the modern, hot-faced, jacked loft clubs. I tried a set of G irons and could not stick with them. G10s for me.

g20ironspec.png
Ping_GMax_irons_specs.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Well, PaPaD... ya ain't gettin' the G-Max irons!!! Not after today. Four... FOUR birdies today! Of course, I had to make some putts. But, was dropping shots near the pin most of the day. Too many bogeys to go with them, but I'll take a 73 in mid-December any day. Two strokes over my age.

Days like today are not "what brings you back" but "what drives you away". I've been struggling to break 80 the past couple of weeks. Have know I could play better. Just could not get anything working good at the same time. When you have a day that everything seems to be working fairly well... and you get a few bounces... it's maddening that you can't do it every time out.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Well, PaPaD... ya ain't gettin' the G-Max irons!!! Not after today. Four... FOUR birdies today! Of course, I had to make some putts. But, was dropping shots near the pin most of the day. Too many bogeys to go with them, but I'll take a 73 in mid-December any day. Two strokes over my age.

Days like today are not "what brings you back" but "what drives you away". I've been struggling to break 80 the past couple of weeks. Have know I could play better. Just could not get anything working good at the same time. When you have a day that everything seems to be working fairly well... and you get a few bounces... it's maddening that you can't do it every time out.
Nice round!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

I ain't playing you for money! Nice round!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A little mist/drizzle in the air. Temps in the upper 40's so wasn't that bad on the course. Just two of us and we played in 2 hours. Barely light when we started and I was using the day doing some "experimenting". 40 on the front and I was okay with that. Then, went +1 on the back with a 37 to finish at 77!! Tried chipping with my 4 hybrid. Seemed so much easier than using a 7 or 8 iron. Only missed two fairways and neither by much. Putter was working. Just an all around fun day.
My cart partner... we've played golf together for almost 20 years... can really struggle. Today was one of those "struggle" days for him. 97. Twenty more swings than I had. To keep my focus an score when he was hitting it all over the course was hard work in itself......

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Nice shooting Gandalf.
Had to Google it. Something about someone named Talking and his video about 'Lord of the Pings' and maybe a movie like Ishtar but that's the neighborhood he lives in.... Am I close?

OP
jhmeg2

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Here ya go Limp! G-Max specs are the lower pic. They do have more bounce and the GMAX are .25" to .5" longer in length and jacked lofts in the longer irons with LIGHT swingweights. Not surprised they would take some adjustment. Personally, I don't like the modern, hot-faced, jacked loft clubs. I tried a set of G irons and could not stick with them. G10s for me.

g20ironspec.png
Ping_GMax_irons_specs.png

I'm right here with ya, I hate that so many companies are loft jacking, and telling people their product is longer... it is longer because you are literally hitting 1-2 club's more. And on top of it the clubs are longer physically. When I bought a set of clubs a little over a year ago, I kept hit it off the hosel.... BECAUSE the damn club was an inch longer! I went backwards with my latest iron purchase. Back to Mizuno MP29s. Where the lofts are not jacked, and the faces all have the same bounce ball wise. I hit my MP29 7 iron 170.... I hit a PXG the other day. 219! A 219 YARD 7 IRON. Ridiculous.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"Loft jacking" has been going on since Delacruz designed the King Cobras strong in the mid-80's. Lofts and club lengths are all over the place. I don't pay attention to what someone else in hitting or how far I hit the irons of another set. By the time I get a couple rounds on a set, I know about where each iron falls in distance. In addition to loft differential we can see difference in distance cause by shaft changes and length changes. My G-Max U wedge is right where the PW was on the Callaway Big Bertha irons I just got rid of.

I've played outta my league the past three rounds with these G-Max irons. 77 today! The last three rounds have been in the 70's and I'm not that good! The short irons are still needing work, but are getting there. My hands/wrists LOVE the G-Max and their graphite shafts.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.