• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Despite a bogey on the last, I shot +1 for 16 holes in our Winter League. That gave me 36 points, +4 up on par. I played great, held the round together well and was very happy with my game. I figured I might have a chance of a voucher.

Turns out I finished 5th!!! Some dude came in with 42 points (for 16 holes). I checked to see if PapaD had sneaked over for a quick game. I would have needed to have shot -5 and even then I might have lost on the back half. I don't have that game, so I'm faced with the dilemma. Do I even bother entering these competitions when I have really no chance of winning?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Despite a bogey on the last, I shot +1 for 16 holes in our Winter League. That gave me 36 points, +4 up on par. I played great, held the round together well and was very happy with my game. I figured I might have a chance of a voucher.

Turns out I finished 5th!!! Some dude came in with 42 points (for 16 holes). I checked to see if PapaD had sneaked over for a quick game. I would have needed to have shot -5 and even then I might have lost on the back half. I don't have that game, so I'm faced with the dilemma. Do I even bother entering these competitions when I have really no chance of winning?
Why not? I do. :(

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

If I only entered the tournaments I have a good chance of winning, my tournament entries would be ZERO! I don't play a lot of tournaments. Those I do play in are the ones that 1.) support a good cause 2.) have an entry fee that is within my budget, and 3.) are the tournaments that I feel will be fun and enjoyable experiences. Tournaments at our course and in our area seem to run in three price categories. There are still a few really fun tournaments at our home course where the entry fee is around $40. I'll play some of those. We also have some where the entry fee runs from $65 to $100. I will play a couple of those if the proceeds are for a good cause. There are also tournaments that have $250+ entry fees. I will NOT play in those!
Likewise, our daily geezer group plays for quarters. We have a blast!!! Losing 50 cents is like having someone take your left nut! We scream bloody murder when a missed putt costs us 25 cents for that hole. OTOH, there is a Thursday evening group where the players toss in $50 each and there are side bets beyond that. We had to install an ATM at the course because we didn't want to keep enough cash on hand to cover the number of $100 and $200 checks people were writing to cover their bets. Ain't no way I'd tee it up for those stakes!!

Golf is supposed to be fun! Play to win. Play your best. Play for the company of other great folk. Play for the times your boys can accompany you and spend time with 'Dad'. IMHO, those are the reasons to play or not play a specific tournament.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Limp, I get all that. And I love playing competitive golf. But when I shoot lights out and still come up 6 shots behind the winner, I'm thinking what's the point? It feels like I'm making a charitable contribution to the Sandbaggers. If I'd made a mess of things, and lost by a shot because of a missed putt, I would think fair enough, just do better the next time. But I'm not capable of a -6 round.

Of course, I will continue to play. I was just bitchin'! It's about $5 for the weekly entry fee, half of which is a "twos club". I got a two so should receive about $10 for that. So it's not really about the money. It's more about the principle of not having a chance to win. Even if there was a category prize for lower handicaps to compete in. The game gets frustrating.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Limp, I get all that. And I love playing competitive golf. But when I shoot lights out and still come up 6 shots behind the winner, I'm thinking what's the point? It feels like I'm making a charitable contribution to the Sandbaggers. If I'd made a mess of things, and lost by a shot because of a missed putt, I would think fair enough, just do better the next time. But I'm not capable of a -6 round.

Of course, I will continue to play. I was just bitchin'! It's about $5 for the weekly entry fee, half of which is a "twos club". I got a two so should receive about $10 for that. So it's not really about the money. It's more about the principle of not having a chance to win. Even if there was a category prize for lower handicaps to compete in. The game gets frustrating.
Okay! I didn't get the "sandbagger" innuendo. That's an entirely different story. Golf is a game of honor... "honorable" thieves!!! Sandbaggers should be tied to a post on the driving range... 100 yards from the tees... and let folks hit balls at them all day. If they are still alive at dusk... take 'em out and hang 'em!! But, we will never cure the sandbagging issue. It is rampant and ruins competitive golf on the amateur/local course level. Sandbagging is why I won't ever play in our State team match play event again. We were pitted against guys with handicaps 5 and 6 points above us, had to give them strokes, and they would have us beat 10 and 9. One two-man team we played were something like a 10 and a 12 and had 7 birdies, 1 par, and 1 eagle on the front 9. Who do you complain to? In today's lagging golf economy, no one wants to make anyone mad or boot them.. It's too important, I guess, to have them pay up the $100 bucks to enter the next tournament... and sandbag their way to another win.
Again, that's why I pick my tournaments for the cause and the social fun. There is no way I'll ever be able to compete with the sandbaggers... and they aren't going away.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Turns out I finished 5th!!! Some dude came in with 42 points (for 16 holes). I would have needed to have shot -5 and even then I might have lost on the back half. I don't have that game, so I'm faced with the dilemma. Do I even bother entering these competitions when I have really no chance of winning?

Of course! There are no guarantees in golf. The tables can be easily turned next time.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

The winner will get his quota adjusted for the next outing, yes? Stay in the game IG, your day will come.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008

Call'em out! Come at me bro!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
First full round in February, due to the weather. 52 degrees, cloudy, with light north wind. Required a sweatshirt and windshirt, but not all that bad. 40/37!!!! Never would have believed I could play that well after a layoff. If I could have putted, it would have been a lot better. Still struggling with the putter and with making course management decisions. Best part of the day? Came home $3.25 richer than when I left. Cleaned the geezers pockets!! And they've played a couple of times this month, one of those rounds as recent as yesterday. Suckers!!!!! Heck! I hardly ever stole $3 from them when the weather was perfect and I was playing every day.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.