• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what did you shoot today?

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
He’s a loudmouthed ignoramus. Life’s too short to play golf with those types. I couldn’t do it. I’d end up warning him about an impending knuckle sandwich if he continued with the shenanigans. Which sorta spoils the whole intention of playing a relaxing round of golf.

If it were me and my buddies insisted on playing with him, I’d find a new group to play with. Life’s too short.

If you call people on their bad behavior it rarely gets physical since they are embarrassed. One of my favorite people to golf with started out that way. He would get over agitated on every bad shot, slam clubs etc... I sat down with him one day after a round and talked him through the situation. It took him a year or two, but I cannot recall the last time I saw him lose his composure on the course. Every blue moon, I also give him some positive feedback about how much fun it is to spend time with him now. He usually gets a big old grin and both of us are proud of how it turned out.

Last edited:

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
United States United States
42 41 83...Wilson at Griffith Park (downtown LA)...beautiful day, but a pretty slow round - lots of players, lots of beers...saw a family of beautiful deer! Great day with the fellas!
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528591445.671398.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528591476.348327.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528591527.042474.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528591547.527639.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528591578.200014.jpg

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
In LA? Who would have thought.

Griffith Park is 5x the size of Central Park, is a near downrown LA and Dodger Stadium, and has 5 golf courses, including Wilson and Harding - hosts of many LA Opens where Ben Hogan prowled the fairways...they are two of the finest munis around...filled with families and cyclists and drum circles and BBQing and festivals and golfers and the LA Zoo and trains and horses and mountain lions and coyotes and deer and raccoons and birds, it is an absolute LA treasue...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Griffith Park is 5x the size of Central Park, is a near downrown LA and Dodger Stadium, and has 5 golf courses, including Wilson and Harding - hosts of many LA Opens where Ben Hogan prowled the fairways...they are two of the finest munis around...filled with families and cyclists and drum circles and BBQing and festivals and golfers and the LA Zoo and trains and horses and mountain lions and coyotes and deer and raccoons and birds, it is an absolute LA treasue...
I'm impressed. Didn't know LA actually had any safe areas LOL.

Two 40's today. Driver was awesome, chipping and putting great. Irons good enough.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Followed two foursomes today and it was backed up where they were all on the same tee. All old duffers. One skinny gentleman in the group had his shirt tucked in and popping out in the back above his belt were his depends. I immediately thought of limp. I don't know why. :D Anyway, two nice 38's today. One bird and no blowup holes. Played by myself so no one needs to believe it.
I've NEVER worn Depends on the golf course... even if it would have saved some laundry issues!!!!!! :D:D:D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Visiting grandkids the past few days. Only golf was 9 holes with daughter and two grandsons on a pitch & putt course. Longest hole was 90 yards. Youngest grandson thinks he wants to play golf. Took him to the driving range first and he amazed me. He's a natural! Never with a golf club in his hands before, he actually parred 3 of those short holes. His dad picked up a set of clubs for him. We brought him home with us for the week. Will try to get him to the driving range and on an executive course we have here.

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
Just finished Angeles National, the only Nicklaus design in LA county...39 41 80 - kicked away a 70s score with a stupid double on the last par five when I was pin high on the fringe in three...played really well - this course requires staying straight...
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528669433.004067.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528669466.657387.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528669485.441150.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528669541.986309.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528669584.348443.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1528669613.962956.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Our course is closed today through Thursday. We're hosting the state junior amateur. 150 kids 11 - 17 will be competing over a 3-day event. Today, the course is theirs for practice rounds. Competition begins tomorrow with two "waves" of players. Some members grumbling. We expected that. Still, the exposure of our course to many who may well return and play the course later is something we could not pass up.
Our course went through a difficult few years. The Board, back then, hired a lazy, worthless alcoholic as the club pro. His work ethic was drowned in alcohol. Did not know how to run tournaments, if he was even sober enough to show up for them. Took almost 4 years to get enough new Board members that they could get rid of him.
During that same time, they hired a course superintendent that did not have a clue. I usually say it takes a superintendent two years to either kill the course or maintain/improve it. This guy killed our course in about 9 months. He did not know how to grow grass. Would not designate. There were mornings we saw it taking two workers just to dump trash and three workers just to mow tee boxes. Dumping trash, one would drive the cart. The other would ride along and dump the baskets in the barrel on the cart. The driver sure couldn't have dismounted the cart and dumped the baskets himself!!! More than once, we saw a worker in a cart waiting by a tee box for the mower. As the mower approached, he would removed the tee markers and then drive to the next tee box to wait. The mower would mow the boxes. A third worker would then arrive in a cart and replace the tee markers.
A number of our corporate outings either left the course or threatened to. Area wide tournaments would not consider our course. Membership began to drop off.
Today, we have a professional clubhouse manager and a fantastic greens superintendent. We have had compliment after compliment from the outings so far this year. The ability to host this many junior players and have their parents/grandparents/siblings follow them and see how pristine the course has become should be to our advantage.

I do plan to take the grandson to a local executive course a couple of times. Can also use the driving range at our home course. Not any real competition until at least Friday.

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
Our course is closed today through Thursday. We're hosting the state junior amateur. 150 kids 11 - 17 will be competing over a 3-day event. Today, the course is theirs for practice rounds. Competition begins tomorrow with two "waves" of players. Some members grumbling. We expected that. Still, the exposure of our course to many who may well return and play the course later is something we could not pass up.
Our course went through a difficult few years. The Board, back then, hired a lazy, worthless alcoholic as the club pro. His work ethic was drowned in alcohol. Did not know how to run tournaments, if he was even sober enough to show up for them. Took almost 4 years to get enough new Board members that they could get rid of him.
During that same time, they hired a course superintendent that did not have a clue. I usually say it takes a superintendent two years to either kill the course or maintain/improve it. This guy killed our course in about 9 months. He did not know how to grow grass. Would not designate. There were mornings we saw it taking two workers just to dump trash and three workers just to mow tee boxes. Dumping trash, one would drive the cart. The other would ride along and dump the baskets in the barrel on the cart. The driver sure couldn't have dismounted the cart and dumped the baskets himself!!! More than once, we saw a worker in a cart waiting by a tee box for the mower. As the mower approached, he would removed the tee markers and then drive to the next tee box to wait. The mower would mow the boxes. A third worker would then arrive in a cart and replace the tee markers.
A number of our corporate outings either left the course or threatened to. Area wide tournaments would not consider our course. Membership began to drop off.
Today, we have a professional clubhouse manager and a fantastic greens superintendent. We have had compliment after compliment from the outings so far this year. The ability to host this many junior players and have their parents/grandparents/siblings follow them and see how pristine the course has become should be to our advantage.

I do plan to take the grandson to a local executive course a couple of times. Can also use the driving range at our home course. Not any real competition until at least Friday.

While I understand sense of community and belonging to a club, this is why I prefer the munis, resorts and daily fees...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

This sounds like your course is going to be around for awhile. Good to hear. The person that ran our course for the last few years bought the course this year. He had some of the best greens people in the state. Excellent greens and fairways with no dead areas, well maintained sand traps etc. He was going to cut their pay and the best left for Waushara CC, sssmokin's course. So far this year the course is in great condition but we all cringed when these guys left (which I would have done also). No golf today. Another "outing". :mad:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
This sounds like your course is going to be around for awhile. Good to hear. The person that ran our course for the last few years bought the course this year. He had some of the best greens people in the state. Excellent greens and fairways with no dead areas, well maintained sand traps etc. He was going to cut their pay and the best left for Waushara CC, sssmokin's course. So far this year the course is in great condition but we all cringed when these guys left (which I would have done also). No golf today. Another "outing". :mad:
Really difficult to balance outings vs. member/public play. We pay memberships each year to have the opportunity to play when we so want. If the course did no outings, our membership dues could potentially double. We make excellent money on the outside tournaments. And, as said in the original post, our outside tournaments bring new people to the course who may join and assist in annual support through membership dues.
We are an "old" course. IOW, our membership is heavily weighted to 50 and over. The young families have really left golf globally. Difficult to entice them to join clubs. So, we do quite a bit with junior programs, etc. in an attempt to excite the youth. If the youth of today tells their parents they want to play golf, the parents will quite often acquiesce.
We have a constant rumble in the background from those who want less expensive memberships PLUS no outside play that affects their enjoying the course. Simply cannot be done! A contingent of our "geezer group" is playing elsewhere some of these course-closed days. Give them an opportunity to enjoy slightly different venues. If we keep our course green, clean, and in better condition than others around us those who play elsewhere will see how blessed they are to have ours. If we cut corners and let the course run down, folks are liable to forget us next season and join those other courses.
Our membership is sitting at about 225. We really need closer to 300 and use to see that before the "golf bust". Trying hard to get back to that 300 number. Annual membership is around $600.00. If you play 100 rounds/year, that's $6/round. I played close to 200 round last year. Pretty inexpensive golf!!!! Costs me another $600 to rent my cart shed, pay electricity, and pay trail fee. Still pretty inexpensive. We have just initiated an annual membership that includes a rental cart. Had a few take us up on that this year. Discussion beginning about phasing out member owned carts and going to all rental carts. We lose quite a bit of cash each year with friends of members "hitching" a ride with them and paying no cart fees. If we transition to only club-owned carts we would eliminate that loss of revenue.
Never enough money to go around. Need cart path repair. Need parking lot sealed. Need work on cart sheds. Need to get back to rotation of both club owned carts and grounds-and-greens equipment.... without raising dues. Fun times...…...

🔥 Latest posts