1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do tour players pay for?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by nututhugame, Jan 19, 2009.

1. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

United States United States
    I was just reading that last place in the Sony won right around $10,000. So if a player were being picky and only played 15 tourny's and placed last at every one they'd make $150,000. Take some taxes that's still pretty good money. How much of their traveling expenses and such do they have to pay though? Or do their sponsers pay all of that? What about a guy like Fujikawa who doesn't have sponsers, (that I know of), when he gets an invite to a couple tournys now. Does the PGA pick anything up?
  2. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

Good question. I suspect they pay their own travel unless they have some sponsor deal but I really am guessing. :)
  3. rtbrps3383

rtbrps3383 Well-Known Member

I know that the caddy usually gets 10% unless the player wins, which I believe is 15%, and I believe many players pay for the their caddies travel and lodging expenses.
    I would be interested to know if they have to pay entrance fees for each tournament and how much.
  4. MGP

MGP Clubmaking Ho Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure I read that entrance fees are generally around $2500 or so. I wouldn't be surprised if they are higher.

The players have to pay for travel and lodging, meals, and probably a million other little things.

I'm not sure a player could survive on $150,000 a year. Consider that it takes about $850,000 now just to be in the top 125 and keep your card.
  5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Taylormade Ho' Magnet

I know for a fact they pay for travel, unless a sponser picks some of that up..

Depends on the deal I'd assume. Majority of it is paid out of pocket, in some form or fashion.

They also supplement their caddies pay too, so while they might get $10,000 for last place, they give some of that up for their caddy, hotel, rental car, food and travel.
  6. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

Is that what the nationwide tour is... everybody below 125 on the money list. Who keeps the money list? PGA? If i'm 200'th on "the list" am I a PGA golfer? Where am I? Who am I? I'm just wondering how many of these guys are doing good and how many are making what I make, but to golf.
  7. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

From what I've read and heard, they make some pretty big sacrifices to make it on the tour. Barely scraping by, time away from family, ect.......
  8. indacup

indacup Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Players pay all their own expenses....travel, lodging, food, entry fees...etc.

Of course I am sure many find ways to offset charges...but none the less, it's their responsibility.
  9. LBlack14

LBlack14 Enjoy Life! Supporting Member

Gonna research this.
  10. LBlack14

LBlack14 Enjoy Life! Supporting Member

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 9px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; WIDTH: 46px; PADDING-TOP: 6px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" width=46> asite1.wikianswers.com_templates_images_qbar_q._43fd32b2f714751c8de23e351bb52d9d. </TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0px; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" width="100%">Do PGA golfers pay entry fees for tournaments they play in?

In: Golf [Edit categories]

</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">[Edit]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

asite1.wikianswers.com_templates_icons_rc_gray1b._43fd32b2f714751c8de23e351bb52d9d. [Edit] asite1.wikianswers.com_templates_icons_abar_a._43fd32b2f714751c8de23e351bb52d9d.
    <!-- if no answer, let the user know how to contribute --><!-- display answer --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->

Answer

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/print/0,18068,488629,00.html
    PGA Tour members do not pay entry fees to play in PGA Tournaments. Other nonmembers pay an entry fee of $400.
    Also:
    1) The Masters is by invitation only
    2) No entry fee for the PGA Championship
    3) Players pay an entry fee of $125 for the U.S. Open qualifying
    4) An entry fee for the British Open is $162.
  11. ualtim

ualtim Orlando, FL

Thats if you make the cut. If you do not make the cut, you get nothing in most tournaments. If you do not make a cut in a single tournament, your income could be zero for the year.
  12. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

If you make it thru Q-school you get $50,000 from the PGA to get started after that I think you're on your own.
  13. stllefty

stllefty Well-Known Member

Pay your own way

All players/sponsers, pay their own way. Getting to an fro the tournament,food,caddie,hotels ect. The way you make money is to have a good split with your spounsers. Not always easy to do. Spounsers cost =Tournament entry, anywhere from $125 Pro Tour -$650-mini tours transporation, food, Hotel ,(caddie norm $1,000 a week, plus 7- 10 % of the winnings) depends on the deal struck. And you have the make the cut. Or you get nothing. Goose Egg!!!!!!!
    Total cost = approx= $2,500-$3,000. a week. If you take off the cash needed for a payout off $10,000 , (IF YOU MAKE THE CUT) That leaves approx.
    $7,000, if your on a 50/50 split and thats high! That leaves you $3,500. a week for your efforts ,
    If You think their making lots of money on the year , your only looking at the top 125, Look at the rest of the field with $3,000 a week going out.
    Not a very pretty.
    One Good thing is a check from equipment Mfg. for every tournament played with
    their equip. hats,balls,ect quartley checks ,youll be looking forward to.