• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you recommend for a beginner to carry in their bag?

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
2i hybrid, 3i hybrid or 3W, 5W

:horse:

No animals were actually hurt in this post.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Well I am still a beginner and I finally broke 100, I carry a 4 wood. When my bag is finished the Hybrid I carry will be the 3i replacement. I hit my 4i just fine. I also have an 11* driver and highly recomend 11-12* driver, I am regularly driving out 280+.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
irons...7,8,9, pitching, sand wedge. putter to start with..
Keep it simple. Good luck

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I jump from driver to 4W to a 23* hybrid. It's supposed to be a 4iron replacement but I hit it about as far as a 3iron. I hardly ever use it much anymore anyway. I play a 5i-PW, GW and SW. I just don't think it's necessary to have that many clubs to cover a 20yd. gap from 220-240 or whatever. As a beginner there should be no reason to attempt a shot that long unless it's off a tee. I often shoot in the low 80's and don't even bother trying to reach a par 5 in two unless I've totally striped a drive and have an iron in on a short one. I'd say you'd be fine with either a 5wood or a 3hybrid.

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
Being new myself, I use a 3 wood off the tee and a 3 & 4 hybrid off the ground. I have 5-9 irons in the bag but have only used 7-9 on the course. PW and SW are a must, imho.

I have completely avoided the driver. I can get maybe 15-20 yards more on the driver if I hit it well, but I just can't control it. Those extra 20 yds mean I gotta go 20 yards deeper in to the woods to find my ball. I can hit the 3 wood on almost every fairway and straight = long in my world :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Being new myself, I use a 3 wood off the tee and a 3 & 4 hybrid off the ground. I have 5-9 irons in the bag but have only used 7-9 on the course. PW and SW are a must, imho.

I have completely avoided the driver. I can get maybe 15-20 yards more on the driver if I hit it well, but I just can't control it. Those extra 20 yds mean I gotta go 20 yards deeper in to the woods to find my ball. I can hit the 3 wood on almost every fairway and straight = long in my world :)

You working today? I have a tee time at 10:48 in RI.
icon10.gif
It's only $18 and I'll give some "pointers", like "Did you see mine? I think your's went over there." LOL.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
If you can hit a driver reasonably well - put one in your bag and keep trying to hit it as well as you can. If you hit your driver in the rough 75% of the time - ditch it and keep it in your garage. Don't put it in your bag and be tempted to hit it.

I would recommend either a large headed three wood or a low lofted hybrid as your tee club. The hybrid head is going to be a bit smaller than the three wood but because the shaft is shorter you should find it to be the easiest club to hit from the tee.

I would get another higher lofted hybrid (or maybe two) for other long shots from the fairway and longer par 3's.

The lowest iron I would put in your bag is a 5 iron and then 6,7,8,9,PW all in the same set.

I would get a gap wedge of 54 degrees and use it from the fairway and rough.

I would get a sand wedge with a high degree of bounce and use it when you are in Saudi Arabia. Try a 56 or 58 max.

Get a putter you feel comfortable with and practice like crazy.

OP
titaniummd

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
If you can hit a driver reasonably well - put one in your bag and keep trying to hit it as well as you can. If you hit your driver in the rough 75% of the time - ditch it and keep it in your garage. Don't put it in your bag and be tempted to hit it.

I would recommend either a large headed three wood or a low lofted hybrid as your tee club. The hybrid head is going to be a bit smaller than the three wood but because the shaft is shorter you should find it to be the easiest club to hit from the tee.

I would get another higher lofted hybrid (or maybe two) for other long shots from the fairway and longer par 3's.

The lowest iron I would put in your bag is a 5 iron and then 6,7,8,9,PW all in the same set.

I would get a gap wedge of 54 degrees and use it from the fairway and rough.

I would get a sand wedge with a high degree of bounce and use it when you are in Saudi Arabia. Try a 56 or 58 max.

Get a putter you feel comfortable with and practice like crazy.

Thanks for the tips. That was most helpful. I just bought a 2i hybrid which I hit well. That should take the place of my 5 or 3 Wood? I am presuming my 3 wood since I cannot hit that off the deck consistently; except one time when I thought I was hitting a 5 W- I set it up a little bit back in my stance and hit it pretty well - as I put it back in the bag, I saw it was the 3 wood. It may be all mental but when I know I am hitting it, I have a hard time. I do feel more comfortable with the shorter 2i hybrid.

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
A pumpkin headed Driver or a generous Spoon
Then irons from Six through Sand Wedge
Putter's a must, mustn't fudge
Play games around the green with one ball
Stroke chips then hole out 'till you greet the moon.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.