• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you think of the "No women members allowed" at Augusta

Golfgal

Jul 23, 2008
Hi Everyone
I am writing an article about the Masters for Inside Golf and I want to include in it some thoughts on the "no women members allowed" rule.
I don't want it to be my opinion in the article, but a collection of opinions by avid golfers like all of you.

So...care to share your thoughts on this hot topic?

thanks
Gayle

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hi Gayle,
I'm wondering if you have the actual text regarding the rule?

Without that I think I am divided on the issue. On the one hand, it seems archaic. On the other hand, men and women should be able to associate freely even if that means to the exclusion of the other group.

You won't see me trying to gain access to NOW, for instance.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I think Augusta is a paleolithic instituion that needs to relax on the ridiculous rules. I am against it basically becuase I am 100% against pompus asses who for some reason think they are better than everyone else.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Personally, I see no problem in men and women having clubs that are exclusive. Granted, maybe Augusta is rather high profile to be exclusive. But if a group of wealthy women wish to start up a Golf course/Club that is exclusively for women, more power to them.

And yes, I am married, and love my wife, but me and her both enjoy time apart from each other occasionally.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Well, that's it then.
If Wi is against it them I am defiantly for it! :D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Well, that's it then.
If Wi is against it them I am defiantly for it! :D

Shit, i'm against pretty much against all private clubs. Can't stand pricks who think just because they were born into a family with money that they are better than us lowlifes. I want to burn their clubhouses down, steal their clubs, & do burnouts with my motorcycle on their greens.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
I think it is OK to have clubs that are exclusive. The P.C. groups have gone way overboard in their attempts to open everything to everybody. As far as Men's or Women's clubs why is that some want all the boy's clubs to be open to women, but then turn around and close doors to men simply because it is said to be for privacy. "Curves" health clubs come to mind in this respect. Spanky was well within his rights to start the "He-man / Woman Haters Club".

OP
G

Golfgal

Jul 23, 2008
Hi Gayle,
I'm wondering if you have the actual text regarding the rule?

Without that I think I am divided on the issue. On the one hand, it seems archaic. On the other hand, men and women should be able to associate freely even if that means to the exclusion of the other group.

You won't see me trying to gain access to NOW, for instance.

The rules are not public, so I can't site them. Everywhere I've read that it's "invitation only" and no women have been invited to date. So perhaps "rule" is not a good word - maybe "practice" is better. Sites like Wikipedia say stuff like this below (I know...Wiki is not a valid source).

"Augusta National Golf Club has about 300 members at any given time. Membership is strictly by invitation; there is no application process. It is expected that annual dues are low (less than $10,000 per year) given the Masters Broadcast on CBS earns the Club millions per year.
Amid much criticism of exclusive and discriminatory admissions, Augusta accepted a black member in 1990.
There are currently no female members of Augusta, although women are able to play the course as guests of a member. The club's lack of female membership received national attention in 2002 when Martha Burk, chairperson of the National Council of Women's Organizations, publicly challenged the club's stance. Pressure placed upon corporate sponsors of The Masters over the 2002 controversy led the Club to voluntarily broadcast the 2003 and 2004 tournaments without commercials."

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008
Augusta is a private club and such has the right to make any rules it chooses on it's own property. Why does everything have to be open to everyone?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Augusta is a private club and such has the right to make any rules it chooses on it's own property. Why does everything have to be open to everyone?

This is pretty much where i stand.

If i owned a golf course, and i just wanted hot blonde women between the height of 5'4" and 5"6" between the weights of 110 and 120 with a bra size at least a D and wearing only thong bikini's...well...its my course, i own it and i can make all the rules on it i wish...

Although i too strongly dislike anyone with a 'holyer than thou' attitude, its their club, their land, and their rules. And thats the way personally owned land should be.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
My wife used to go to Curves, a women only gym, monthly membership type place. She liked it mostly because she felt more comfortable around just women, and I bet that is a major selling point for Curves. Augusta and Curves are similar in my mind, in that they are private and have a right to cater to certain groups.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It's ridiculous. But Augusta is a private club. So I support their right to make policy as they see fit. I still think it's ridiculous.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If i owned a golf course, and i just wanted hot blonde women between the height of 5'4" and 5"6" between the weights of 110 and 120 with a bra size at least a D and wearing only thong bikini's...well...its my course, i own it and i can make all the rules on it i wish...

I want to join this course Clark, put me down for a lifetime membership, :laugh:

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Well, as a rule, I say piss on all the elitist people who think they are better than me because they have a shitload of money.

That being said... it's a private club, they have the right to do what they want with it. For me personally... I wouldn't have any interest in being a member of a club where my wife and daughter were not welcome. ;)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.