• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What exactly does...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
A low spin driver head mean? I have been reading up on Bridgestone equipment, specifically the J33R 420 and see that some say its a low spinning head. I am looking at one now that is 9.5* of loft with an ALdila NV 65. I have been playing a 10.5* driver and hit it real high. So, this leads me to ask, what exactly does it mean when a driver head is low spin? How does this help/hurt a player? Can a low spin head be made to give a higher launch with the right shaft or does that even play into it at all?

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I was always under the impression that a low spin driver will produce greater distance with LESS workability.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
It means it has a higher, and closer to the face center of gravity, thats it.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It means it has a higher, and closer to the face center of gravity, thats it.

That being the case, it would tend to launch lower? Is that correct? So that 9.5* might play like an 8.5 or 9*?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Yes and no, launch angle is the result of loft of the club head, and forward shaft deflection at impact. Spin will affect total shot height and angle of descent.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
That being the case, it would tend to launch lower? Is that correct? So that 9.5* might play like an 8.5 or 9*?
If you are wondering because you are noticing it is launching lower when demoing, the shaft you mention would do such. Figure you probably knew that, but just in case...

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
What you need to be looking for is optimum spin for 'you'. A low spin head is great if your swinging at 110+ and your ball flight is balooning with your useual driver. but be careful as not getting enough spin will hurt you and your carry distance, the correct blend of spin and launch angle for your swing speed and swing path is what your after. Backspin is vital as it is what keeps the ball in the air...too much and the ball goes too high not enough and you'll struggle to get much carry. It maybe you'd be better of just coming down 1 degree on your driver loft than going for a low spin head.

🔥 Latest posts