• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What exactly is grip solvent ?

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Idiot question but ....What is it? Is it an everyday household product? I think at my club they use pain-thinner but I'm really not sure. What do you use ?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Grip solvent is, well, grip solvent. Golfsmith and Golfworks sell it.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I have some of this grip tape that is activated by water and soap how awesome is that.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Idiot question but ....What is it? Is it an everyday household product? I think at my club they use pain-thinner but I'm really not sure. What do you use ?
I use either mineral spirits or charcoal lighter fluid. Either work quite well with the traditional grip tape.

Jun 24, 2006
Craig, the solvent is just used to slip the grip over the tape. It dries and then the grip sticks to the 2 sided tape.

I use paint thinner in the shop now, after I told the pro to get rid of the gas he was using.

Put paint thinner in a spray bottle I find that works best.

JS

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
To the original question, I think it is just a mineral spirit with a more pleasant smell. I don't really know, its been a while since I used it. (Air compressor, baby!)

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I still prefer to use grip solvent (I use the stuff from Golfsmith) for a variety of reasons:

1) It's non-flammable. I really don't want to blow up my basement workshop (or at least start a nice fire). :D

2) It smells nice as it's a citrus based solvent.

3) It works great for cleaning epoxy from shafts, hosels and ferrules when doing shafting work. It also works great for removing shaft stickers and adhesive residue.

Since it doesn't cost any more than mineral spirits or lighter fluid I can't really see using something flammable when you don't have to.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I use air also...but there are times where solvent is needed...the "Labeled" solvents as mentioned are a bit safer...usualy are of mostly a blend of Napthia.

However, we go to Wal-Mart and buy lamp oil for pennies on the dollar and you get to choose the aroma!

OP
FKA19

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Craig, the solvent is just used to slip the grip over the tape. It dries and then the grip sticks to the 2 sided tape.

I use paint thinner in the shop now, after I told the pro to get rid of the gas he was using.

Put paint thinner in a spray bottle I find that works best.

JS

Joel, I know WHAT the solvent does and how to use it. I do my grips at the club all the time i just wanted to know what everyone used.
Thanks everyone, I'll probably just use paint thinner as that's what I've used at my club before and know how it works.

Members online

No members online now.