• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what golf course has a sand trap on green?

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
I have forgotten and was told by a few friends I was nuts. Earlier this year there was a tournament played on this course but I can't find it.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Hmmm the course they played on in Asia a couple weeks ago on the European tour had a green with a sand trap almost in the middle of it. It was either the China Open or the BMW Open.

The 6th green at Riviera (Riviera) also has a bunker in the middle of it. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a pic of it). They play the LA/Nissan Open there so maybe that's the course you were thinking of.

There are several courses in the British Isles with greens in the middle of them also.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The course they play The International at has a grass bunker in the middle of a green.

OP
ol-crank

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
It was the nissan thanks MGP. I imagine it is

not that easy to putt around it like the note under the pic says. Maybe if your'e Lefty you just use a 60* wedge and replace your divot.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Any course I play on and leave the first shot in the bunker...

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
Yea the PGA used to play at 1 course that was Green bottom left then a bunker then past that bunker there was more green. I remember watching Freddy Couples hitting a pitch shot from that lower part of the green and taking a little tiny divot.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
The 6th hole at Riviera Country Club is the most famous hole I know. The bunker is smack in the middle of the green, making it essential to be on the right side to have any putt at all. Just hitting the green isn't good enough there. :(

There is a Nicklaus course somewhere in the US with a green that is cut in half by a small creek. Hit the wrong side there and you really have a dilemma...

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
The 6th hole at Riviera Country Club is the most famous hole I know. The bunker is smack in the middle of the green, making it essential to be on the right side to have any putt at all. Just hitting the green isn't good enough there. :(

You beat me to it. Thats an amazing hole. I love to have that chip from the one side of the green to the other. Something I've never done, chipping on the green.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
the course the champions tour plays the jeld wen tradition has a bunker in the middle of the green.. well at least the course they played it on 2 years ago... i remember it was a playoff and one of the guys was on the wrong side of the bunker, and he had to chip over the bunker, while on the green... intense stuff while in a sudden death playoff to win a major championship...

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
There are a few courses that place a bunker in the center of a larger green. Not too many public courses would want to introduce the risk of having people chip on the green. I played at a private course in the Charlotte area for a sectional PGA tournament and had to chip over a part of the green where the rough pinched in and I would not have been able to play enough break had I putted the ball. Talk about nerves, I felt like calling the greenskeeper and apologizing.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.