• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is a non-competing marker?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
When an odd number of players make the 36-hole cut, the Masters Tournament committee selects someone familiar with the course to even the field.

longiron

May 2, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
When an odd number of players make the 36-hole cut, the Masters Tournament committee selects someone familiar with the course to even the field.
Dumb question but does he play or just tag along?

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I guess it makes sense...I had never seen it before.

The scores today should be high if they get in much play at all. This is a weird storm...it came through here last night at 3. I doubt that many players will complete play today.

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear with about 70 degrees, so it should be a beautiful day for them to finish - if they can.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
longiron said:
Dumb question but does he play or just tag along?

Well since it is called a "Non-Competing Marker" I doubt they are playing. I think their sole reason for being there is to keep the score of the player they are with and to attest the player's scorecard at the end of the round.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
They play.

They use a member of Augusta National. Last year the guy played with Fred Couples. He was a US amature champion once upon a time.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
They play.

They use a member of Augusta National. Last year the guy played with Fred Couples. He was a US amature champion once upon a time.

Wouldn't that be incredible? I guess it makes sense from a pacing standpoint. From Furyk's standpoint, it is probably better because he still has a sense of pace because he has another player with him and he must wait while he hits his shots.

Wouldn't you love to be that Non-competing marker? Not only are you a member but you get to be on stage too...

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
They play.

I'm sure I heard one of the BBC commentators say that the guy marking Furyks card played off 6 at Augusta and had 4 birdies on the front side!! No wonder Jim did so well on Saturday, probably said "No way is this guy going to hand my ass to me!":)

🔥 Latest posts