• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is it about this place?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Having been involved and sponsored forums for well over 10 years now, I feel I can make a couple observations...all positive of what the mods and admin here are doing.

Many golf forums had the same consideration, respect that we show eachother here...but we are also a small population compared to other forums....what I saw killed every forum that degenerated was due to the same thing...

They went out and attracted so many new members in such a quick time, that all of a sudden they were bombarded with all these new people, many with attitudes who wanted to mark their territory and be looked upon as the top dog.

That resulted in harsh words, bad attitudes, fighting...and the admin was not PREPARED for such a huge influx so their systems could not adjust in time....and before ya knew it, the lunatics took over the asylum.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with Dog Fish's approach...he is taking in all info, digesting it and making (what I feel) are very level headed decisions on the direction...not jumping the gun and making rash decisions...but thinking things out...plus the software improvements made have been phenomenal!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Having been involved and sponsored forums for well over 10 years now, I feel I can make a couple observations...all positive of what the mods and admin here are doing.

Many golf forums had the same consideration, respect that we show eachother here...but we are also a small population compared to other forums....what I saw killed every forum that degenerated was due to the same thing...

They went out and attracted so many new members in such a quick time, that all of a sudden they were bombarded with all these new people, many with attitudes who wanted to mark their territory and be looked upon as the top dog.

That resulted in harsh words, bad attitudes, fighting...and the admin was not PREPARED for such a huge influx so their systems could not adjust in time....and before ya knew it, the lunatics took over the asylum.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with Dog Fish's approach...he is taking in all info, digesting it and making (what I feel) are very level headed decisions on the direction...not jumping the gun and making rash decisions...but thinking things out...plus the software improvements made have been phenomenal!

What a well reasoned and insightful post!! Particularly the comment about the problems associated with an explosion of membership. With such an influx, I perceive that a forum would vulnerable to a migration of "rotten apple" types who have blotted their copy book elsewhere and are looking for another place to continue their pattern behaviour.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
What a well reasoned and insightful post!! Particularly the comment about the problems associated with an explosion of membership. With such an influx, I perceive that a forum would vulnerable to a migration of "rotten apple" types who have blotted their copy book elsewhere and are looking for another place to continue their pattern behaviour.
Thank you for the compliment.

I know the admins at a few of the golf boards started feeling "heat" from advertisers to get the population/readership up and often, the overall quality of the boards were compromised to a certain degree.

Plus, I found it funny you would see members dropping in who had been suspended or in some cases BANNED from other websites, try to move into the new one.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I think its a mutual respect that does come with a lot of the members here meeting face to face on multiple occasions.

I have met almost all the Wisconsin members and several non Wisconsin members. All great guys, and one of them sadly is no longer with us. RIP MdDubya.

Meaning this isn't anywhere near as anon as most forums.

Plus, WG weeds out anyone with thin skin, lol

What happened to mddubya? I haven't been around in a long time :(

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Yeah, he was actually making plans to do things and then he was just gone. I guess we never know... maybe he didn't want to lead on that things were as bad as they were or something. Good dude though. He is missed.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah, he was actually making plans to do things and then he was just gone. I guess we never know... maybe he didn't want to lead on that things were as bad as they were or something. Good dude though. He is missed.
Every day he is missed!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Every day he is missed!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Okay, I'll admit it. I like this place because I'm here. o_O

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Okay, I'll admit it. I like this place because I'm here. o_O
LOL...we have a guy in my wifes family who "REALLY" likes himself more than anyone...in his mind he is the best at everything, the best dressed, has the nicest car, best hair, best businessman....etc

Every Christmas we draw names in the family on who we buy for...and whoever got his name gave him a hand mirror as a gift so (as the attached card said:) "You can admire yourself 24/7"...when he opened it up his response was (honestly) AWESOME!

We all busted up!

PMay

Jul 7, 2009
Bloomington Indiana
Country
United States United States
This is absolutely a great place! I feel like we all kind of know each other, even though many of us have never met. I also belong to a forum concerning my county and they are the rudest people you could imagine. I for one really appreciate the feeling I get around this place

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.