• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the best

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
GOLF BALL RETRIEVER!!!

I'm getting old and just realized that I'm supposed to be carrying an extendable golf ball retriever and spend time around the ponds like all the other old guys.

Which is the best one?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
GOLF BALL RETRIEVER!!!

I'm getting old and just realized that I'm supposed to be carrying an extendable golf ball retriever and spend time around the ponds like all the other old guys.

Which is the best one?

If you're ever fishing balls out of a pond while I wait to tee off behind you i'm going to be so pissed. That sh!t should be illegal.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think the telescoping kind works best.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I use this one. It's a little more expensive, but it's the best.

awww.underwatergolfball.com_picDivers.jpg

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
If you're ever fishing balls out of a pond while I wait to tee off behind you i'm going to be so pissed. That sh!t should be illegal.
nututhugame

Yeah, but I have lot's of time while the other old guys I'm playing with putt for 20 minutes per hole.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Actually there's two groups of old guys that are usually on the course before me in the morning. They make the putting part of the game a "ritual". They want you to play through but I hate playing through group after group. Before you know it you're all done and didn't even get to enjoy the golf. I will just sit behind them from now on.... waiting.... waiting..... and hopefully driving them nuts. And nope. There's no one that can or will enforce faster play.

I just brought up the ball retriever for fun. Mainly because I don't think there's anyone in this forum that hasn't had to wait for some old guy to fish balls out of a pond with his extendable ball retriever.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
You know me WBL. You know I don't mind taking my time on a shot. It's all the in between stuff that guys could just use their head on to save themselves steps and everyone time. I'll grab a ball from the edge of the water if I can get it easily, but generally if I hit one in the drink it's not retrieveable so I don't even bother. Drop one and hit. If I hit it on the green I grab my putter when I put my iron away and I go and park in between the green and next tee. So on and so forth. Retrieving as many balls as possible any time unless you're the only person on the course is just not acceptable to me. It's one of those issues that should be way higher on the list than teeing it forward.

Feb 9, 2013
Country
Actually there's two groups of old guys that are usually on the course before me in the morning. They make the putting part of the game a "ritual". They want you to play through but I hate playing through group after group. Before you know it you're all done and didn't even get to enjoy the golf. I will just sit behind them from now on.... waiting.... waiting..... and hopefully driving them nuts. And nope. There's no one that can or will enforce faster play.

I just brought up the ball retriever for fun. Mainly because I don't think there's anyone in this forum that hasn't had to wait for some old guy to fish balls out of a pond with his extendable ball retriever.

I find that the single biggest delay of play at my course is people -both older and younger- who are clearly hitting from the wrong tee box. They hit from the "Tips" (aka furthest back) when often their driving distances clearly indicate that they would be stretching it to hit from the men's "middling" boxes. Consequently they are swinging out of their shoes and playing military golf...left-right-left-right and add untold time to every hole searching for their constantly errant tee shots, or hitting multiple mulligans etc. No one in their group will break 100 and they will back up the course for multiple holes all day long.

If golf is serious about growing the game it needs to get more clubs and courses on board with the fabulous "Tee It Forward " Program which provides logical course distances based on honest assessment of one's average driving yardage. I have posted the chart in the past and it should be posted in every golf cart at every club -period . And strictly enforced by rangers. We simply must over ride the testosterone laden fantasies of some regarding their true driving distance off the tee!

Here is the chart again for those unfamiliar with this outstanding program:
Driver Distance Recommended 18-Hole Yardages
PGA Tour Professional 7,600-7,900
300 7,150-7,400
275 6,700-6,900
250 6,200-6,400
225 5,800 -6,000
200 5,200-5,400
175 4,400-4,600
150 3,500-3,700
125 2,800-3,000
100 2,100-2,300

TEE IT FORWARD received great feedback in 2012 from golfers nationwide who reported:
  • 56 percent of those who used TEE IT FORWARD played faster
  • 56 percent indicated they are more likely to play golf more often
  • 83 percent hit more lofted clubs into greens
  • 85 percent had more fun
  • 93 percent continue to TEE IT FORWARD
Tee It Forward along with the new "While We're Young" (AKA speed it up, Bud!) campaign are two essential components to rejuvenating and growing the game. Particularly new and young golfers need to be brought up into the sport through these programs in order that the next generation of golfers does not commit the "sins of their fathers" (and mothers).

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I'm a fan of the tee it forward program. However, a number of guys I play with have the mentality that "If I'm paying for the whole course, I'm going to play the whole course."

I personally prefer to play in the 6100-6400 yard range.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I'm a fan of the tee it forward program. However, a number of guys I play with have the mentality that "If I'm paying for the whole course, I'm going to play the whole course."

I personally prefer to play in the 6100-6400 yard range.

Lol
Yes but bring this heat when they talk through their balls....

Oh you made par from the front already?...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.