1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the biggest flaw in your golf game?????

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by fisher, Feb 20, 2011.

1. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

Getting up and down. I used to live in a condo next to a golf course and I would go out in the evening and practice after work for hours into the dark. Fast forward 7 years and two kids and my short game which was once my strength is now the weakest part of my game

2. floggerrushmd

floggerrushmd Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Without a doubt it is putting. I put myself in position to make a decent number of birdies and up and downs for pars puttin from inside ten feet and I find ways to miss the putts. I have worked with two coaches on it an spent countless hours practicing, but it remains my Achilles heel.

3. twogreen

twogreen Well-Known Member

I envy you guys who can identify a single flaw. I can't narrow it down that much; because the weak part of my game will vary from day to day. Sometimes it will even vary between the front and back nine. I don't try to play fancy golf. I just try to hit the ball as straight as possible without intentionally trying to hit a fade or a draw. At my age, I know I will never be as long as most people with whom I play; so I am content to just keep the ball in play.

There are some days where I will stripe the tee shots right down the middle. There are some days where the irons are rock solid and the putter tracks as if it had eyes. My flaw is that none of these things seem to happen on the same day. It is rare that all facets of the game come together during a single round. There are few things more frustrating that striping a tee shot right down the center of the fairway; and then slicing the second shot out of play; or hitting it fat and advancing the ball only a few yards. Of course, I do have those days where the driver is working, and the irons are solid. These are the days where my putting goes completely awry.

I play 3-4 rounds each week. My score is almost always between 90-95. However, when I replay the round in my mind, it is never the same flaw that costs me strokes from day to day. I can also be equally inconsistent from nine to nine. For example, I played yesterday and shot a 43 on the front nine; but I had a 52 on the backside. I have had other days where the scores would be reversed from front nine to back nine. My best round ever was a 49 on the front nine followed by a forty on the back nine.

If I ever get it all together, I will be seeing the eighties more often....it just hasn't happened yet.:1898_:

4. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

United States United States
    Sounds just like me.

5. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

If you play 3-4 times a week and are shooting 95, I would venture a guess that your weakest part is prob the short game. By this I mean from 100 yards until you hole it out. I wouldn't worry too much about fade or draw, but spend some serious time chipping and putting.

6. twogreen

twogreen Well-Known Member

The scenario you mention is often true; but not always. Let's use a par 4 for example. Sometimes, I don't reach the green until the third shot. Then, comes the dreaded three putt for double bogey. I am equally capable of slicing the drive into the woods. Then, after stroke and distance penalty, I need only four shots to finish the hole. Unfortunately, the math is the same in both cases...double bogey. I suppose what I was trying to say in my original post is that I just don't have enough consistency to narrow my problems down to just one flaw....unless, consistent inconsistency is a flaw. :biggrin:

7. bwildered

bwildered Active Member

If I grew tomatos they would come out sliced. I spend most of my game recovering from my tee shot. Although last year I started to straighten it out by working on my release. it's maddening, but I keep coming back to this game.

8. Bakemono36

Bakemono36 New Member

For me its hitting a push on my full swings. Ive been taking lessons and working a lot of my swing though and I think Ive got that flaw pretty much fixed. After that, Id say its my bunker play and short game.

9. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I'm driving the ball probably as well as I have in my whole life, hitting my irons more consistently, hitting my 3-wood and hybrids decent and putting all over the damn green. I've tried everything. I AM hitting the ball on my line. I just CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT the damn ball is going to do. It might just be because the greens are extremely slow this time of year (cut long due to the cold). I'm hoping that's it. I could be putting up some nice scores if I could make putts.

10. shep3470

shep3470 Well-Known Member

And the day the putter is on fire all the other shots go. Isn't that how it usually goes? LOL

11. monzter

monzter Well-Known Member

Tee box....I'm a hacker, have been playing for about 3 years now and was down to a low 90's when playing once a week last year. Now that I get out only once or twice a month, getting off the tee is my biggest problem.

I can shoot 95-105 if the driver is in the bag, but will always score 90-95 if I leave the driver at home. If I could figure out how to hit it straight off the tee i'd shoot in the high 80's all the time.

Once i'm off the tee, i'm decent with the irons, a little better around the green, and am usually b/w 29-32 putts a round on average.

12. Golfanatic

Golfanatic Active Member

You and me both.
    When I leave the driver at home and use a 2 hybrid or 5 wood to tee off with I do a lot better.
    Better to hit 180-200 down the middle than 240 into the trees.

13. LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges I've got the pants that'll make you dance! Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Not enough birdies (I know you're all thinking this too).

But with the amount of fairways I'm hitting right now, my GIR is not showing the results of that. And if I am hitting the greens I'm not hitting it close enough consistently enough to easily make the three or four birdies a round I should (and need) to be making.

Plus I have a mental block on birdie putts. Give me a 10 footer for par and I'll make it 6/10 times. Change that to a birdie putt and I'll make it maybe twice. Can't figure out what difference it makes but something is awry there...

14. brentski

brentski Member

Definitely the woods,cant hit em dont want em!Maybe one day after i go from the mids to the back ill learn how to hit em again,in the meantime doin just fine with my irons.

15. brentski

brentski Member

no doubt couldnt have said it better!

16. brentski

brentski Member

funny you should mention not getting it going until 4 or 5,i do the same thing regardless if i am warmed up or not!:mad:

17. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Without a doubt the mental game. I keep having great front nines & bad back nines. I'm trying everything not to think about the wrong things when I turn the corner for home.

18. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

For me, quitting drinking sure has helped that problem a lot!

19. J.P.C.

J.P.C. Well-Known Member

South Africa South Africa
    something that has helped me a lot not to add up my score at the halfway house. play 18 and add up with a cold beer!!

makes the score much better, no stress that one has played a 48 on the front 9 and now the stress start on the back 9 to keep it low for second nine.

played 18 yesterday, first nine 44 and second nine 43! cold beer to celebrate with....;)

well that works for me,

my 2 putts worth...:D

20. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

The biggest flaw in my game is that I start hooking the ball when I'm under pressure.

Throw me into a tournament on a course where every hole is a dogleg right with all the pins on the right and I wouldn't be able to break 100.

It's something that I'm aware of, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot hit a fade when the tension is on. I turn into the king of the double cross.