• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Makes This Putter So Special?

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
For starters, the materials used in this $15,000 putter are not your typical stainless steels or aluminum that is used in the majority of today's putters. This Bruce Sizemore designed and hand made collectible is comprised of 37 individual layers of gold, silver and copper which form a solid billet (Mokume Gane) that is then CNC Milled to less than 1/0000th an inch tolerances.
Mokume Gane dates back to the 1600's and looked upon as true art form. The term means "wood grain". No two pieces are the same. Each piece is unique and referred to by Sizemore as "a privilege of one".
The grip is made of fine silver and copper hand formed over different form stakes silver soldered together with silver butt caps and collets. The grip is finished off with a hand formed silver wire signature.

Every so often I post a an update request for Bruce Sizemore, wondering if he still designs and builds his signature putters. Don't know where he landed, or if he opened his own studio after his short stint with SuperStroke as head designer, before they decided to work exclusively with grips. Any info would be appreciated.

Sizemore Collectable.jpg
Sizemore Collectable.jpg
Sizemore Collectibe Bottom.jpg
Sizemore collectible Grip.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
That's insane. What is up with that grip? I suppose it would be a nice piece to hang on the wall, if I had more money than wits. It is beautiful though.

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
Waste of money, those 3 metals dont live well together, different molecular weights, different malleability, different expansion and contraction properties. It is pretty, though!!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Waste of money, those 3 metals dont live well together, different molecular weights, different malleability, different expansion and contraction properties. It is pretty, though!!
What are you saying? It will blow up at impact or something?

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
Hardly, but it would be hard to keep it true and within the 1/1000 tolerance, if it is, a shape based tolerance as any temperature changes would want to make it twist, warp or bend. Two metals, married, side by side like that is what makes a lot of mechanical, dial type thermometers work, one metal bends and the other one bends less during temperature changes making the needle on the dial move. The silver and copper would get along with each other better than either would get along with the gold. Just saying that that would not be a very practical or functional club! I doubt it was meant to be played though!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

Milling tolerances.

Which is important, in a wall hanger. (Where's the mock "masterbation" emoticon when you need it?)

I have to say, boutique putters don't make much sense to me. I've purchased a Miura in the past, enjoyed it (by using it - I know, WTF was I thinking!) and it did not work any better than my $90 Odyssey.

This putter does absolutely nothing for me. Zero. I'd honestly appreciate a well made Machine or Gauge over this thing any day.

R35

Members online