1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by warbirdlover, Apr 10, 2019.

?

What would you do

Poll closed Apr 17, 2019.
  1. Play the whites

33.3%
  2. Play the golds and continue to kick your partners butt

11.1%
  3. Play from where your group plays

55.6%
  4. Play from the whites after buying a new magic driver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

United States United States
    If you have the distance to play the white tees but are 70 years old and can play the golds (geezer) tees, what should you do? By continue to play the whites you now give the other geezers an advantage. This came up after discussion with one of the rangers who said some members thought I should be playing from the whites.

2. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Seems like you would have the advantage by playing the golds, so playing the whites would be an equalizer which is exactly why there are multiple sets of tees.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  3. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

Sounds like something you work out if there's money on the round. If there is no money on the line, why would you cheat yourself by playing the golds?

4. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

I don't think age, sex, nor distance off the tee makes any real difference as to which tees one plays.

IMO it should go by handicap.

As for your specific situation, play by the rules. If the courses rules say Men play from the whites, and men over a certain age play from golds, then play whichever you qualify for and tell the nosey nellies to stfu. Anyone that's worried about what tee another player hits from can fvck right off. If you're playing for money, then figure it out with whoever is playing.

5. warbirdlover

You guys forgot to VOTE. :)

PaPaD likes this.
  6. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

Voted.

What do you prefer to do? I guess gold, obviously.

Maybe it's just dumb pride, but I would rather post an 80 from the blues than a 78 from the whites. Hopefully it's not dumb pride. I like to think I enjoy the challenge. (If my skill level gets to the point that I am slowing the group from the blues, though, I'd drop to the whites.)

7. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

Tell the ranger they can **** off. It's not your fault they suck.

8. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

Play from where your group plays, but adjust handicaps/strokes to eliminate any advantage if there is a money game. Our playing groups give the option for any of us to move up, but it costs 3 or 4 strokes off the handicap. I stayed put, but our group is about 25 guys and only a handful have moved up (we have a halfdozen guys who are in their 80s).

9. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    If the rules are 70+ play the golds then that’s the answer.

Wi-Golfer likes this.
  10. PaPaD

Basing tees on age is just wrong. I know some 70 year-olds that would be driving the greens on some par 4s. The tees you choose should be appropriate for your drving distance and scoring ability.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and TEA Time like this.
  11. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Our group plays from the "gold"... senior tees. We have blue, white, gold, and red in that order. The reds are considered the "ladies" tees. We have one person in our group who does play from the whites. He considerably better than the rest of us and hits it a long, long ways.
    Once in a while I will play from the whites if not playing with our regular group. It really tires me out. I just don't hit it that far anymore.
    We have about 10 of us when everyone shows up. Break into two groups if more than five. Two or three... we play skins, par or better to win. Four... we play partners, changing every three holes. Five... Wolf. If two groups, we play group against group, best ball.
    Our take is that the game has to be fun. We play for quarters. On a really good day, someone might win a couple bucks. Most days, it's a 50 cent win or loss. I don't think any single one of us has collected more quarters than another over the time we've played together. We've talked about putting paint on the quarters, each player having a different color. Then, seeing how often the same quarters come and go from a player's pocket.

sssmokin likes this.
  12. warbirdlover

This is kind of the concensus at our club right now. I've been playing the golds and 60% of the time I'm on the par 5's in two. :D We were discussing this topic in the clubhouse yesterday and my partner chimes in "he (me) was on the last par 5 in two, 7 feet from the pin". We kind of made up our mind to switch to the white tees. And last year playing with sssmokin I did drive a par 4, 285 yards.

13. limpalong

The shortest par 4 from the golds on our course is 278 yards. The hole bends hard right, around a group of extremely tall cottonwood trees. If you try to bend it too soon, you will hit those trees. If you hit it dead straight, you will be in the trees on the left and there is no shot from that location. Not one of our par 5's is a dead straight hole. It's all about shot placement and course strategy. There have been numerous occasions when we've had a young flat-belly join us for a round from the golds. They are all suggesting it will be a boring round... until about the third hole. Pretty quickly, they find we are not a "bomb and gouge" course.
    About half of those in our group will be in the 250 range... on a good day... off the tee. Nothing to brag about. But, it's shot placement! I can only think of two holes that have a "bail out" side if you miss the fairway by very much. Every other hole has trouble left AND right. The 100's of squirrels at our course spend more time on the ground than in the trees. It's safer there!!!! On a busy day, it can sound like a rifle range with players hitting trees all around the course!

14. warbirdlover

Sounds like fun. :)

15. ejdahl21

ejdahl21 Never Lay Up Supporting Member

They're on the ground cuz that's where all the "nuts" are.

limpalong likes this.
  16. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

Handicap transfers from course to course, and tee box to tee box. However, one of my PGA instructors would play from shorter tees than us, because he was a short hitter.

sssmokin likes this.
  17. sssmokin

sssmokin Retired and loving it Supporting Member

I've lost distance since I became a senior citizen (an old fart). On my BEST drives, I can sometimes hit 250 (with a strong tailwind). Why should I have to hit a 3 wood for my second shot on a Par 4? Irons are your scoring clubs. If I have to take 3 shots to hit the green on a Par 4, I will give up golf. It has to be fun. I will hit from the gold tees, thank you. And if I outdrive you, too bad.

limpalong likes this.
  18. limpalong

We spent our time "in the trenches" earning a living. We're done with the hard work, so have earned the opportunity to have fun with golf. Golf can be difficult and frustrating enough without stretching out the course. If the Rules of Golf insisted everyone play from the tips, seniors would find something else to do. Checkers, pinochle, knitting.... If our course lost the senior citizens who are out there every day, they would close. We need a mix. We need the seniors paying their memberships and playing. Likewise, we need the younger generations. Those folks are still working, have families, and don't have the ability to play a significant amount of golf. Yet, they will be the seniors of tomorrow... keeping the courses going as we are today.
    Have fun!!!! If it weren't for the enjoyment of old guys, old jokes, lots of laughs, lots of peeing on trees 'cause the old prostates won't wait until the turn, topped shots that roll down the fairway and end up next to the hole, bounces off trees that end up in the center of the fairway, putts that hit goose poop on the green and turn into the hole, not being able to remember what you shot two holes ago, etc. why would someone even want to meet up and play over 200 rounds/year????

sssmokin likes this.
  19. PaPaD

Nothing wrong with moving up a set of tees. Go for it. I still wonder why they don't have senior tees for women tho. My wife is a pretty good player, but she cannot reach MOST par 4s and 5s in regulation with her best shots. Most of her peers are in the same situation.

sssmokin and limpalong like this.
  20. limpalong

Just tell her ain't no place on a golf course for a female. Women are supposed by be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen... not dragging down the stellar play of us guys!! Just look at one of the top golf forums on the 'net... Shot Talk. We don't put up with none of them females, here!!!! They has their place and it ain't takin' up space on a tee box, no matter the color of the tees!!!:mad::mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

sssmokin and PaPaD like this.