• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you do?

What would you do

• Play from the whites after buying a new magic driver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you have the distance to play the white tees but are 70 years old and can play the golds (geezer) tees, what should you do? By continue to play the whites you now give the other geezers an advantage. This came up after discussion with one of the rangers who said some members thought I should be playing from the whites.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Sounds like something you work out if there's money on the round. If there is no money on the line, why would you cheat yourself by playing the golds?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't think age, sex, nor distance off the tee makes any real difference as to which tees one plays.

IMO it should go by handicap.

As for your specific situation, play by the rules. If the courses rules say Men play from the whites, and men over a certain age play from golds, then play whichever you qualify for and tell the nosey nellies to stfu. Anyone that's worried about what tee another player hits from can fvck right off. If you're playing for money, then figure it out with whoever is playing.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
You guys forgot to VOTE. :)
Voted.

What do you prefer to do? I guess gold, obviously.

Maybe it's just dumb pride, but I would rather post an 80 from the blues than a 78 from the whites. Hopefully it's not dumb pride. I like to think I enjoy the challenge. (If my skill level gets to the point that I am slowing the group from the blues, though, I'd drop to the whites.)

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Play from where your group plays, but adjust handicaps/strokes to eliminate any advantage if there is a money game. Our playing groups give the option for any of us to move up, but it costs 3 or 4 strokes off the handicap. I stayed put, but our group is about 25 guys and only a handful have moved up (we have a halfdozen guys who are in their 80s).

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Our group plays from the "gold"... senior tees. We have blue, white, gold, and red in that order. The reds are considered the "ladies" tees. We have one person in our group who does play from the whites. He considerably better than the rest of us and hits it a long, long ways.
Once in a while I will play from the whites if not playing with our regular group. It really tires me out. I just don't hit it that far anymore.
We have about 10 of us when everyone shows up. Break into two groups if more than five. Two or three... we play skins, par or better to win. Four... we play partners, changing every three holes. Five... Wolf. If two groups, we play group against group, best ball.
Our take is that the game has to be fun. We play for quarters. On a really good day, someone might win a couple bucks. Most days, it's a 50 cent win or loss. I don't think any single one of us has collected more quarters than another over the time we've played together. We've talked about putting paint on the quarters, each player having a different color. Then, seeing how often the same quarters come and go from a player's pocket.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Basing tees on age is just wrong. I know some 70 year-olds that would be driving the greens on some par 4s. The tees you choose should be appropriate for your drving distance and scoring ability.
This is kind of the concensus at our club right now. I've been playing the golds and 60% of the time I'm on the par 5's in two. :D We were discussing this topic in the clubhouse yesterday and my partner chimes in "he (me) was on the last par 5 in two, 7 feet from the pin". We kind of made up our mind to switch to the white tees. And last year playing with sssmokin I did drive a par 4, 285 yards.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The shortest par 4 from the golds on our course is 278 yards. The hole bends hard right, around a group of extremely tall cottonwood trees. If you try to bend it too soon, you will hit those trees. If you hit it dead straight, you will be in the trees on the left and there is no shot from that location. Not one of our par 5's is a dead straight hole. It's all about shot placement and course strategy. There have been numerous occasions when we've had a young flat-belly join us for a round from the golds. They are all suggesting it will be a boring round... until about the third hole. Pretty quickly, they find we are not a "bomb and gouge" course.
About half of those in our group will be in the 250 range... on a good day... off the tee. Nothing to brag about. But, it's shot placement! I can only think of two holes that have a "bail out" side if you miss the fairway by very much. Every other hole has trouble left AND right. The 100's of squirrels at our course spend more time on the ground than in the trees. It's safer there!!!! On a busy day, it can sound like a rifle range with players hitting trees all around the course!

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The shortest par 4 from the golds on our course is 278 yards. The hole bends hard right, around a group of extremely tall cottonwood trees. If you try to bend it too soon, you will hit those trees. If you hit it dead straight, you will be in the trees on the left and there is no shot from that location. Not one of our par 5's is a dead straight hole. It's all about shot placement and course strategy. There have been numerous occasions when we've had a young flat-belly join us for a round from the golds. They are all suggesting it will be a boring round... until about the third hole. Pretty quickly, they find we are not a "bomb and gouge" course.
About half of those in our group will be in the 250 range... on a good day... off the tee. Nothing to brag about. But, it's shot placement! I can only think of two holes that have a "bail out" side if you miss the fairway by very much. Every other hole has trouble left AND right. The 100's of squirrels at our course spend more time on the ground than in the trees. It's safer there!!!! On a busy day, it can sound like a rifle range with players hitting trees all around the course!
Sounds like fun. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.