• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you do?

What would you do

• Play from the whites after buying a new magic driver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Handicap transfers from course to course, and tee box to tee box. However, one of my PGA instructors would play from shorter tees than us, because he was a short hitter.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I've lost distance since I became a senior citizen (an old fart). On my BEST drives, I can sometimes hit 250 (with a strong tailwind). Why should I have to hit a 3 wood for my second shot on a Par 4? Irons are your scoring clubs. If I have to take 3 shots to hit the green on a Par 4, I will give up golf. It has to be fun. I will hit from the gold tees, thank you. And if I outdrive you, too bad.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If I have to take 3 shots to hit the green on a Par 4, I will give up golf. It has to be fun.
We spent our time "in the trenches" earning a living. We're done with the hard work, so have earned the opportunity to have fun with golf. Golf can be difficult and frustrating enough without stretching out the course. If the Rules of Golf insisted everyone play from the tips, seniors would find something else to do. Checkers, pinochle, knitting.... If our course lost the senior citizens who are out there every day, they would close. We need a mix. We need the seniors paying their memberships and playing. Likewise, we need the younger generations. Those folks are still working, have families, and don't have the ability to play a significant amount of golf. Yet, they will be the seniors of tomorrow... keeping the courses going as we are today.
Have fun!!!! If it weren't for the enjoyment of old guys, old jokes, lots of laughs, lots of peeing on trees 'cause the old prostates won't wait until the turn, topped shots that roll down the fairway and end up next to the hole, bounces off trees that end up in the center of the fairway, putts that hit goose poop on the green and turn into the hole, not being able to remember what you shot two holes ago, etc. why would someone even want to meet up and play over 200 rounds/year????

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Nothing wrong with moving up a set of tees. Go for it. I still wonder why they don't have senior tees for women tho. My wife is a pretty good player, but she cannot reach MOST par 4s and 5s in regulation with her best shots. Most of her peers are in the same situation.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Nothing wrong with moving up a set of tees. Go for it. I still wonder why they don't have senior tees for women tho. My wife is a pretty good player, but she cannot reach MOST par 4s and 5s in regulation with her best shots. Most of her peers are in the same situation.
Just tell her ain't no place on a golf course for a female. Women are supposed by be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen... not dragging down the stellar play of us guys!! Just look at one of the top golf forums on the 'net... Shot Talk. We don't put up with none of them females, here!!!! They has their place and it ain't takin' up space on a tee box, no matter the color of the tees!!!:mad::mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Just tell her ain't no place on a golf course for a female. Women are supposed by be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen... not dragging down the stellar play of us guys!! Just look at one of the top golf forums on the 'net... Shot Talk. We don't put up with none of them females, here!!!! They has their place and it ain't takin' up space on a tee box, no matter the color of the tees!!!:mad::mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
That would be my last act on this side of the dirt..........

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Ha.………….love it. Lots of good women golfers. Thank goodness my wife doesn't play. She's not very athletic. So that gives me time with the guys. If she ever decided she wanted to try golf (it'll never happen), then it's time for me to find something else. Golf is too sacred.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Ha.………….love it. Lots of good women golfers. Thank goodness my wife doesn't play. She's not very athletic. So that gives me time with the guys. If she ever decided she wanted to try golf (it'll never happen), then it's time for me to find something else. Golf is too sacred.
My wife has never even hinted she is interested in playing golf. She is not a sports person. And, she says the time I am out on the course is time she doesn't have to put up with me!!

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
For everyone saying it takes three to four shots to get to the green, or I don't want to hit three wood into a green on my second shot. I feel if you are having to hit more than a 5 iron into a green on a par four you are playing the wrong tees. Unless you hit a crap drive, you should have no more than a 5 iron in. Just sayin.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
For everyone saying it takes three to four shots to get to the green, or I don't want to hit three wood into a green on my second shot. I feel if you are having to hit more than a 5 iron into a green on a par four you are playing the wrong tees. Unless you hit a crap drive, you should have no more than a 5 iron in. Just sayin.
Respectfully, would like to argue that just a little. First, how far should an 80 year old hit his 5-iron? On a good day, I can still hit my 5-iron 150 to 155. I'm the longest hitter in our group. We have one in our group who hits his 7-wood from 150. Another hits his 3-hybrid. We have a couple guys who use their 7-iron from 100 yards. When a body gets up in the 70's to 80's, the ability to hit "flat-belly" yardages isn't there anymore. We have a couple par 4's that are 380ish from the senior tees. Another will play almost 400 yards if the greens crew moves the tee to the back of the box. (Usually, it's another one that is right at 380.) How far do these geezers hit their drivers? 200? 220? 230? Most are hitting their best drives barely over 200. A 200 yard drive on a 380 yard par 4 leaves 180 in. That is a well struck 3-wood for some of the guys. I have to hit a really bad drive to have a 5-wood in on a par 4. I do have days when I will need my 4 hybrid or 5 hybrid. My 5 hybrid is good to about 175. 400 yard hole. 230 yard drive. 170 in.

The yardages that can be assumed "typical" go out the window with the old guys. From mid 60's on, my experience is seeing yardages per club all over the map. To suggest someone is playing the "wrong" tees if he has to use more than a 5-iron for a par 4 second shot would disqualify a number of the seniors at our course from even being on the course. IMHO, rather than specify a certain maximum club one must use... 1.) Play the tees and use the clubs you feel confident and comfortable from the distance you have to the green, and 2.) Play the game to have fun, not make the game unenjoyable because you know you need a 3-wood from 150.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Respectfully, would like to argue that just a little. First, how far should an 80 year old hit his 5-iron? On a good day, I can still hit my 5-iron 150 to 155. I'm the longest hitter in our group. We have one in our group who hits his 7-wood from 150. Another hits his 3-hybrid. We have a couple guys who use their 7-iron from 100 yards. When a body gets up in the 70's to 80's, the ability to hit "flat-belly" yardages isn't there anymore. We have a couple par 4's that are 380ish from the senior tees. Another will play almost 400 yards if the greens crew moves the tee to the back of the box. (Usually, it's another one that is right at 380.) How far do these geezers hit their drivers? 200? 220? 230? Most are hitting their best drives barely over 200. A 200 yard drive on a 380 yard par 4 leaves 180 in. That is a well struck 3-wood for some of the guys. I have to hit a really bad drive to have a 5-wood in on a par 4. I do have days when I will need my 4 hybrid or 5 hybrid. My 5 hybrid is good to about 175. 400 yard hole. 230 yard drive. 170 in.

The yardages that can be assumed "typical" go out the window with the old guys. From mid 60's on, my experience is seeing yardages per club all over the map. To suggest someone is playing the "wrong" tees if he has to use more than a 5-iron for a par 4 second shot would disqualify a number of the seniors at our course from even being on the course. IMHO, rather than specify a certain maximum club one must use... 1.) Play the tees and use the clubs you feel confident and comfortable from the distance you have to the green, and 2.) Play the game to have fun, not make the game unenjoyable because you know you need a 3-wood from 150.

If the yardages get too long, know that a shuffleboard court is only 13 yds.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If the yardages get too long, know that a shuffleboard court is only 13 yds.
There are days I would trade an entire bag of Pings and Callaways for a shuffleboard stick!!! Of course, if I'm no better at shoving those shuffleboard pucks than I am at putting a golf ball.... the 90 years old ladies in their walkers would beat me in shuffleboard!!!!
My wife wants to begin playing Pinochle at the local senior center every Thursday. So far... I've resisted. To me, that would be giving in that we have finally reached old age. One of these days she'll win out. Until then...…….

bigdivot

Feb 23, 2018
Covington LA
Country
I am 70, have a little distance off the tee. I just play whatever tees the group plays...but not the tips....anything more than about 6300 yards is a real challenge.

Last edited:

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
You can play the pink tees if you want to. You have an index, and that determines your handicap from each set of tees. You may have an advantage fro. The forward tee, but your handicap will negate that on the card stroke wise playing against someone. Also, there is no age requirement to play a specific tee. If you're 80 and a long baller you can play the tips, if you're 20 and a long baller you can play the junior tee, your index sets your handicap for the set of tees you're playing. If you are a 5 index, and want to play the blue tees, you may have a 7 handicap, if you want to play the greens, you may end up as a 1. You can play any tee box you want, just be sure that when you enter your scores, you are selecting the corresponding tee box you played, as slope and rating will be factored to calculate your index PROPERLY.

🔥 Latest posts