• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What'd You Shoot Today?

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I looked around for one of those threads, and didn't see one, so here goes...

I shot a 68 after 14 holes today, but got thunderstormed the hell out of there. I barely made it back to my car in time before the heavens opened up (I don't have a cover for my clubs...so rain is a bad thing). Was on course for an average but not spectacular round. Iron play was off, and outside-in has creeped back into my drving, but my chipping and putting is better.

Had a 45 after 9 holes, and probably a record-low 20 putts for me.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
39-36=75

10 greens with one birdie and one 3-putt -- didn't have many good birdie opportunities. 5/6 scrambling, one water ball followed by up and down from 140, top out of a fairway bunker led to a bogey.

BTW it was Foxtail north course.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Was visiting my parents for the holiday and went with a good friend to the local muni where I played my first round, it's a short course, par 68 with three consecutive par 3's on the front nine. I shot a 32-33 for a 65, left my tee shot on the 162 yard par 3 fifth hole four inches from the cup. The thing that really struck me was how much shorter the course seemed to me versus the last time that I played there 14 years ago.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Played a short private course today. 71.2/6100. Shot a frickin 98. 50-48. The wheels just completely fell off. The only good hole I played was the #1 cap hole, 450 par 4. Hit my drive right down the pipe, hit my six iron 180 to about 18 feet, and three jacked it. Next hole, I hit it in the water, PUNCHING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BtW, I'm a 6.5 handicap. I nearly cried, honestly. I should have stayed home with my wife and son.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Shot a 79 today and sadly it was my first round in the 70’s this year. Had only one birdie on the 10th hole and missed about 4 or 5 birdie putts inside 10ft.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Played a short private course today. 71.2/6100. Shot a frickin 98. 50-48. The wheels just completely fell off. The only good hole I played was the #1 cap hole, 450 par 4. Hit my drive right down the pipe, hit my six iron 180 to about 18 feet, and three jacked it. Next hole, I hit it in the water, PUNCHING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BtW, I'm a 6.5 handicap. I nearly cried, honestly. I should have stayed home with my wife and son.
That sucks man... When something like that happens I start punching every shot. 140 yards, cut down on a 6 iron and just try to chop it somewhere near the green.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
I played Poppy Hills from the Blue tees (73.0/141) and it was pretty tough. I was 6 over after 3 holes, 12 over after 9 holes, and still finished with a 90. I couldn't hit my driver worth a damn for the first 9 holes. I kept hitting my ball in places where I had no direct shot to the greens. The course has a lot of trees that come into play as well. Yes, I hit a few of those too. I played the back 9 at 6 over.

My best hole of the day was the signature hole, the par 5 10th. I hit a 290 yard drive down the middle of the fairway which left me about 225 yards to the pin. The pin was close to the front of the green with water protecting it. I was already 12 over and figured I had nothing to lose, except maybe a ball, by going for it. I pulled out my 4-wood, in which I have had little confidence in lately, and hit a nice high fade to 8 feet. I missed the eagle putt to the right by 1/4" and tapped in the 1 footer for a birdie.

The course plays harder that it is rated in my opinion. To get decent shots into the greens you need to be accurate with your drives. You can't just go out there and spray them around the fairway. This is the first course I have played where being in the wrong part of the fairway can be as bad as being 20 feet off the fairway.

I would guess that I am a 12 to 15 handicap and felt good about my play. I really shouldn't have played the blue tees but that is where the other three in the foursome were going to play from. I would have scored better if I had some "local knowledge" which I think will shave off a few strokes the next time I play there. Combine that with a normal driver day and I think scoring in the low 80's would be possible. But you never know......

I had the low score in the foursome but two of the guys played Pebble in the morning. Maybe they got tired.

S-

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Played my local course this morning, Donald Ross design par 71- 72.1/132. rained last night so the rough which is already rediculously thick, was monsterous to get out of. Par 71- shot 69. Irons are starting to really perform for me. Decent driving day 11/14 fairways, 15/18 GIR. No 3 putts, nothing worse then a bogey. Finnally brought my cap down under 1 for the first time. Sitting pretty at 0.8 :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I shot 88 from the tips at men's night last night. 6800 yards and a 130 slope, I was still disappointed in playing that poorly. 4 lost balls on the front 9 alone. I can't remember when I lost 4 balls on 18 holes, let alone 9.

I did have a 370 yard drive tho. Elevated tee, tailwind and a perfect (finally figured it out) driver swing. We figured it got about 16 yards of roll.

My irons are solid. My wedge game needs some work, but the short stick is very, very decent. If i would have figured out my driver earlier, I could have shaved at least 7 strokes off my score.

Brutal. That course is very difficult from the tips, but the greens run true.

R35

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
Shot 42 on the front nine at Nile yesterday. Only 16 putts and no 3 jacks, which I felt great about. I only hit one GIR though, which sucked. The good approach shots I did hit were after I'd put one OB off the tee, or something along those lines. I was in scramble mode the whole time and managed to keep it a couple under my course handicap, so I came away fairly happy, slow pace notwithstanding.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
Played in a match play doubles tournament

and my separate score was an even eighty. That is a fair to poor round for me score-wise, but I had three shanks making it one of the most nerve-racking rounds of my life. I have had the shanks three or four times in my fifty years of golf, and the hard thing about it is that my swing feels so good. One hole does stand out as a bright spot. It is a par five, very abrupt dog-leg to the left. There is a large pond all the way across the fairway as you hit a five or four iron to the turning point. I shanked an iron into the mud and weeds at the bank of the pond. I hit an eight iron punch shot perfectly and if I hit a good three-wood shot with a draw, I would carry the second lake and be up the steep hill far enough to have a wedge to the very elevated green. The shot went straight and I was behind a bunch of bushes and small trees that lined a little stream about ninety yards from the green. I could see the pin up on that hill through the leaves. There was a deep bunker on my line just short of the plateau where the green was. Hey, it is match play and we all know that trees are 90% air, right? I hit a punch five iron that went right through eight yards of bushes and trees, hit the bank of the bunker and went on to the back of the green. Now I have a sixty-foot putt coming down a very fast green with a break to the right, then left, and then right again right at the hole. The putt stops on the high side with a third of the ball over-hanging the lip! I tap in the thing for a six and strangely, a push! Unfortuanately, we lost one-up. This hole taught me that you never really know what might happen, if you just keep trying.

It is mighty difficult to win against a team with one player that gets two strokes on every hole, especially the par threes! He parred two of them which was like two aces. And he made boggey on the other two!

Cypressperch

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
shot a 77 today, with only 6/18 GIRS, driver was really off and hit three of my irons 20 yards longer than usual?????? Not sure what happened those three shots. overall was a weak ballstriking day but short game came up big with 6 up and downs.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I shot a 93 today on a 6600 and change 134 slope with some nasty greens and wind. Had 36 putts and that was actually decent considering. My 4 1 putts were offset by 4 3 putts. I burned the edges a bunch of times. Gotta remember to leave it below the hole.

Driver was on but irons were so bad, can't remember them being worse than today. On the very first hole I decided to play it safe and pushed a 5iron wide into a lateral hazard. Without the penalty strokes I would have broke 90 at least.
icon9.gif

🔥 Latest posts