• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's For Dinner?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Carlo Rossi Blush, $3.49 for a gallon jug at Walmart:D

Or cheap assed Grapa direct from Italy.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
My wife & I when we were 1st dating picked up a bottle of that Carlo Rossi crap. We drove around mixing it with 7-Up & we both got pretty screwed up.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
We're buckin' the system for Thanksgiving and having Enchiladas, Chorizo Rice, Black Beans and Key Lime Pie. All of course after conquering what Golf Digest considers one of the 10 toughest courses in the US. We will make our own decisions, although I do expect to score the same or better than I do on my home course even though this is the first time. :)

Granted I won't be playing the tips, but from the forward ftees I will play it is both longer and a lower slope. The last course I played of similar difficulty, I believe I had my best round of last year.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Since we are talking wines:

A good wine for the chicken/mushroom/pepper dish, in my opinion, would be a Savignon Blanc. Since this is a golfing forum, I would recommend the Nobilo Savignon Blanc from the Marlborough region in New Zealand (Frank Nobilo is a cousin to the family that runs the vineyard.) Can be found for under $15.

Traditional Thanksgiving Wine: Beaujolais Nouveau. Finally found some Domaine Droughan this year, but also got a couple bottles of the old stand by Geroges Dubouef. Its only around once a year and is meant to be drunk young. Its not what you would call a sophisticated wine for the traditional palate, but pleasing enough for new wine drinkers to enjoy as well as a change of pace for the average wine consumer.

Hard to find wine that I love: Pinotage. Only produced in South Africa and next to impossible to find in the states. I found some in the local ABC a month ago and now they are all out with no date of return on the next shipment. David Frost Wines (golf forum :D) produces an outstanding Pinotage, but I have yet to find it in a local wine seller.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Buy Yellowtail wine, lots of it.

They are a customer of ours & the more they sell, the more work we get.
I have 2 bottles sitting in the dining room, i'm a little afraid to drink it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Buy Yellowtail wine, lots of it.

They are a customer of ours & the more they sell, the more work we get.
I have 2 bottles sitting in the dining room, i'm a little afraid to drink it.

I have had it, but as wirehair would say, it just doesn't blow my skirt up. :D

Its not bad, but for a few more dollars a bottle there is some killer stuff from Australia.

What in the world do you produce, for an Australian wine maker, in Wisconsin?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
What in the world do you produce, for an Australian wine maker, in Wisconsin?

We manufacture their slip sheets, basically it's a heavy gauge polypropylene sheet that they use to stack bottles on pallets with.

We make them for Anheiser Busch, Coke, Pepsi, Modelo, Gallo wine, etc etc. Replaces cardboard & it resuable, washable, recyclable, etc.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks.

I'm not really buying any wine right now. I need to drink some of my older stuff before it starts declining. If I see a bottle of the Fianchetto I'll give it a taste.

$40/bottle around here. Probably less than that your direction. A steal at that price.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
$40/bottle around here. Probably less than that your direction. A steal at that price.
Thanks - I'll go find it.

Here's one for you: 2004 St. Clement Orropas. It's a blend from a great vintage (85% cab/15% merlot.) About the same price - maybe a few dollars more. Amazing wine for the price, and very drinkable now. Competes with some $100 bordeaux I've had.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks - I'll go find it.

Here's one for you: 2004 St. Clement Orropas. It's a blend from a great vintage (85% cab/15% merlot.) About the same price - maybe a few dollars more. Amazing wine for the price, and very drinkable now. Competes with some $100 bordeaux I've had.

Hmmm... all the local wine store lists as carrying of theirs is Chardonnay (spare me the oak!) and Merlot, both 2006.

Oh--and for that silly chicken nonsense last night. Opened my spice drawer and started at the rosemary. Duh. Good thing, too, because we were so rushed I couldn't do anything fancy.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Claire, ugh....

One of these days I'm going to have to teach you that not all food is supposed to taste good! A chef's touch can ruin some meals! :)

That said, I had another bottle of Cline Cashmere last night, I love the stuff.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Claire, ugh....

One of these days I'm going to have to teach you that not all food is supposed to taste good! A chef's touch can ruin some meals! :)
I get the distinct feeling that Claire is one heck of a cook!

And a meal doesn't have to be complicated to rise above. The "chef's touch" is what can elevate the simple to the sublime.

One of the best meals I've ever had was a simple broiled lobster at Emeril's. The chef really knew his business, and using good technique, and a simply amazing sauce, created a memorable meal. I mean, how much can you do with a lobster tail?

Not taking anything away from you, Jeff. You sound like a pretty good cook yourself. But I think Claire has the edge.

By the way, I'll endorse Emeril's as one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Pretty pricey, but worth it. We have one here in Orlando, and I know there are a few more scattered around the country. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever near one and want a top-notch dining experience.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I get the distinct feeling that Claire is one heck of a cook!

And a meal doesn't have to be complicated to rise above. The "chef's touch" is what can elevate the simple to the sublime.

One of the best meals I've ever had was a simple broiled lobster at Emeril's. The chef really knew his business, and using good technique, and a simply amazing sauce, created a memorable meal. I mean, how much can you do with a lobster tail?

Not taking anything away from you, Jeff. You sound like a pretty good cook yourself. But I think Claire has the edge.

By the way, I'll endorse Emeril's as one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Pretty pricey, but worth it. We have one here in Orlando, and I know there are a few more scattered around the country. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever near one and want a top-notch dining experience.

I hope she is a better cook than myself. :D I actually only cook once in a while, or go on tangents. Otherwise I just toss something together, my wife's and I schedule are so wacked that sit down meals aren't really doable right now.

Anyway...I guess I was saying is that its not always even about sublime. Perfection is the lack thereof. It is appealing to something different than purely taste. Look at sloppy joes, or a somewhat bland casserole, they might not be the most elegant of meals, but they can inspire something different.

I'm all for good food, but believe it or not, a somewhat bland casserole I freakin love!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hope she is a better cook than myself. :D I actually only cook once in a while, or go on tangents. Otherwise I just toss something together, my wife's and I schedule are so wacked that sit down meals aren't really doable right now.

Anyway...I guess I was saying is that its not always even about sublime. Perfection is the lack thereof. It is appealing to something different than purely taste. Look at sloppy joes, or a somewhat bland casserole, they might not be the most elegant of meals, but they can inspire something different.

I'm all for good food, but believe it or not, a somewhat bland casserole I freakin love!
I'm with you.

Members online

No members online now.