• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's your glory story?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
We have what did you buy, what did you shoot, what did you buy, what did Lark stick up his butt threads. How about your glory story. Sometimes it's not about the round, but rather that one shot. I'll start. Today was another one of those GolfNow rounds at Wigwam Resort, however the course wasn't worth the $15 I paid for it. I joined a father/son pair on the first tee for the start of a rather forgetful round. At about the 11th hole weather started rolling in. Dark gray nasty clouds and a butt load of wind. My playing partners decided to hunker down and wait it out, but I didn't have time for that. I played on, besides "I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while now". I play the wind pretty well. One hole it's a 175 yard 9i the next is a 140 yard 7i. I come to 14 or 15 and it's a short but guarded par 4. 266 yards to the middle but the pin is back. The green is surrounded with deep bunkers and I have about a 35 MPH wind at my back. I grab my 7W and wait for what seems like a twelvesome finishes up. The wind starts to die down so I grab my 4W instead. Now I normally hit my 4W about 230 yards. I've been playing a slight draw all day and now the wind shifts a little from right behind me to a little left to right. I decide to take dead aim and let it rip. The ball soars right at the flag and just starts to tail off it to the right at the end. I see it bounce but nothing else. I drive up to the green as the rain starts to come down pretty good and find that I'm pin high about 8" right. Arguably my best shot. Missed the putt but fuck it. :D

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
In a muck around last week, the driver was naughty so left it in the bag on the stroke 1 par 4 (390m). longest par 4 on the course, OOB to the right, massive pine trees to the left. Tee shot must be straight or it's gonna be a bad score. Have never birdie this hole due to a 2 tier green. Pin on the bottom tier is make able for a 3, but I've never managed a good tee shot when the pin is there.
So anyway, pulled the 2 iron out of the bag for my tee shot, hit it nicely with a fade to the right side of the fairway. Rolled down the slope into the rough however. Getting close to the ball, it was sitting very nicely. Up high in the rough. Checked distance, had 198m to the middle of the green. About 185m to pin. Have never used the 2 iron from anywhere but the tee so thought why not? It's propped up, easily hittable! Crushed it! That ball flew perfectly. Slight fade again but it bounced off te right ridge on the green, rolled up the tier slope and then back down towards the pin. My eyes were glued to the ball rolling straight down the slope and towards the hole! Instantly I was about to jump for joy thinking it was going in for an eagle. However ended up a foot short. Needless to say a got a few high fives for that shot.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
We have what did you buy, what did you shoot, what did you buy, what did Lark stick up his butt threads. How about your glory story. Sometimes it's not about the round, but rather that one shot. I'll start. Today was another one of those GolfNow rounds at Wigwam Resort, however the course wasn't worth the $15 I paid for it. I joined a father/son pair on the first tee for the start of a rather forgetful round. At about the 11th hole weather started rolling in. Dark gray nasty clouds and a butt load of wind. My playing partners decided to hunker down and wait it out, but I didn't have time for that. I played on, besides "I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while now". I play the wind pretty well. One hole it's a 175 yard 9i the next is a 140 yard 7i. I come to 14 or 15 and it's a short but guarded par 4. 266 yards to the middle but the pin is back. The green is surrounded with deep bunkers and I have about a 35 MPH wind at my back. I grab my 7W and wait for what seems like a twelvesome finishes up. The wind starts to die down so I grab my 4W instead. Now I normally hit my 4W about 230 yards. I've been playing a slight draw all day and now the wind shifts a little from right behind me to a little left to right. I decide to take dead aim and let it rip. The ball soars right at the flag and just starts to tail off it to the right at the end. I see it bounce but nothing else. I drive up to the green as the rain starts to come down pretty good and find that I'm pin high about 8" right. Arguably my best shot. Missed the putt but fuck it. :D
You missed an 8 inch putt?!

The best shot that I have hit in the last couple of weeks was a pitch shot. During my last stroke play tourney, I missed a par 3 long and left. The ball was sitting on hard pan but it was supposed to be rough so there were a few wispy blades of grass there too. Green was elevated and sloping away from me and the pin was as short sided as possible. Layed my 60* open a bit, clipped the balled nicely and when the ball hit the green it looked like it hit velcro. It spun and stopped maybe a foot below the hole.

Also, last Thursday I played in a charity scramble. Par 3 17th was 185, uphill and into the wind. A 10k cash, hole-in-one prize was offered. I hit a 5 iron inside of a foot. That would've been the ultimate first HIO, lol. Maybe I'll ace a hole before I die.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Playing well, this morning. Get to #16, the #2 handicap hole. Long par 4. Sand and trash to the right. Tall weeds to the left. Too far left in the fairway and you have to negotiate trees and a sand trap guarding the green. You need to be in the right half of the fairway.
Tried to steer the ball off the tee and pulled it left. Still in the fairway, but looking straight at the big tree. Clip the tree and the ball will fall into the sand trap... or short of the trap and you have to pitch over it. Tried to draw an iron around the tree and trap. Afraid the draw spin would carry too far, so hit one iron less than I should have. Ball lands just short of the putting surface, on the upslope. Pin is way back and I'm probably 35 feet away. I carry putter and wedge to the green. The fringes had been wet from dew and almost unputtable, early. By now, the grass has pretty well dried. All I want to do is get the ball close enough to have a chance at my par.
My cart buddy says, "Sink it for your birdie!" Huh?? I'm off the green, "miles" from the hole. Close... Just get it close.
I decide to play the odds and use the putter off the fringe. Have a better chance of stopping it close than with the wedge. Step over the ball and give it a roll. Yep... Ball rolls towards the left of the hole and gently curves back to the right... center cup! Birdie!

Bird on #16 puts me 1 up on the son-in-law and he's fuming. #17 is a short, 137 yard, par 3. My bird gives me the box. I step up and promptly hit a chunker about 110 yards, even short of the sand trap that fronts this hole. Worst iron shot all day! So much for following up a birdie. Grab my lob wedge and walk over to my ball. It's sitting down in a hole and there's no way I could get a wedge under it. Kick the toe down on the wedge, just wanting to get it over the trap and onto the green. Ball flies over the trap, hits the green and heads straight for the hole. The SIL is already cursing. Ball stops on the lip. One more 1/4 roll of the ball and it would have holed for a second straight bird.

SIL so torqued, he pushes his drive on 18 into the trees and I beat him by 3 strokes. Solid day of ball striking. But, those two back to back holes made the day.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
New-er local course, short 9 holer I play a lot because it's fairly cheap, and they keep the course very nice.

3rd hole is a 450ish par 5 playing almost all uphill unless you hit to the right side of the fairway as it slopes away over there. There's 30-40 pines on the left side of the fairway which were at the time young enough to fly over.

I hit driver, messed it up and ended up about 225 out, in the middle of the pine tree's. I have a nice opening back out to the fairway, could just chip out and head up to the green. Not this guy. I decide I'm going to hit the club I can't hit for crap(my hybrid), and hit a huge bending hook and attempt to put it up by the green. So I set up, about 45º to the right of the flag. Give it a mighty rip and off it takes, bending hard left. I run out of the pines to watch it, bounces twice on the up slope and rolls onto the green.

HO LEE SHIT. Those were my exact words as I watched it roll up out of view onto the elevated green.

Ended up about 10 feet for eagle. Missed. 3 feet(heavily down hill) for birdie. Missed. Par made. Gross.

That was my single best shot ever that I planned and executed to almost perfection.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
New-er local course, short 9 holer I play a lot because it's fairly cheap, and they keep the course very nice.

3rd hole is a 450ish par 5 playing almost all uphill unless you hit to the right side of the fairway as it slopes away over there. There's 30-40 pines on the left side of the fairway which were at the time young enough to fly over.

I hit driver, messed it up and ended up about 225 out, in the middle of the pine tree's. I have a nice opening back out to the fairway, could just chip out and head up to the green. Not this guy. I decide I'm going to hit the club I can't hit for crap(my hybrid), and hit a huge bending hook and attempt to put it up by the green. So I set up, about 45º to the right of the flag. Give it a mighty rip and off it takes, bending hard left. I run out of the pines to watch it, bounces twice on the up slope and rolls onto the green.

HO LEE SHIT. Those were my exact words as I watched it roll up out of view onto the elevated green.

Ended up about 10 feet for eagle. Missed. 3 feet(heavily down hill) for birdie. Missed. Par made. Gross.

That was my single best shot ever that I planned and executed to almost perfection.
The two most hated words when putting for eagle... "Nice par!"

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Posted this in the what did you shoot thread but it's definitely my glory moment in golf...Towards the end of last summer I played Saddle Creek on a beautiful day. Number 11, dog leg right 501 yard par 5. Tee'd it up and put a good swing on the drive, I was a bit right of where I'd like to be but still safe. 220 yards out and over water/marsh if I wanted to go for it. Pulled out the 5 wood and grooved it! But couldn't see where it came down. When we got up to the green I was 10 yards short but in good shape. Grabbed my gap wedge and....chipped it in for my first eagle!!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Posted this in the what did you shoot thread but it's definitely my glory moment in golf...Towards the end of last summer I played Saddle Creek on a beautiful day. Number 11, dog leg right 501 yard par 5. Tee'd it up and put a good swing on the drive, I was a bit right of where I'd like to be but still safe. 220 yards out and over water/marsh if I wanted to go for it. Pulled out the 5 wood and grooved it! But couldn't see where it came down. When we got up to the green I was 10 yards short but in good shape. Grabbed my gap wedge and....chipped it in for my first eagle!!!!
Lame missing eagle putts is way more glorious

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
When I think of glory hole, I think of a shot under pressure...either that or a hole in a bathroom stall.

I posted this before in another thread but I couldn't find it. A few years back, my friends and I tied for first in a 4 man scramble. I had several beers waiting on all the teams to finish. I assumed they would do a scorecard playoff. Nope, sudden death playoff. Everyone in the banquet hall headed to the 10th tee(a short 338 par 4). By this time, a lot of people had left but there were still 40-50 people and a lot of them were actually standing around the tee box. Our team had first honors on the tee. When I stepped up to the plate, my head was light feeling from the beer and I could hear people whispering as I stood behind my ball. I won't deny that I was nervous. My plan was to just make solid contact, lol. Well, I did. The ball took off dead straight, when it landed it took a big bounce and when it finished rolling my ball was pin high, maybe 10 yards right of the green. I had never hit one remotely that far on that hole before and haven't since. I felt like a stud.:cool: The other team didn't make it within 80 yards of the green and we won easily. Because of the pressure and all the people watching, that drive was one shot that I will never forget.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.