• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's Your Poison?

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
You’ve just walked off the 18th green and you’re headed for the clubhouse for some post-round analysis and libations. What’re you having?

I’ll have a Guinness thanks, that’s my first choice. As far as domestic Canadian brands are concerned, I like Big Rock Traditional Ale and Alexander Keith’s IPA. I also make my own beer at home and have had some good success there. My favourite home brew so far has been a robust London Porter

Although I prefer beer, I also don’t mind a Crown Royal or a Jamieson’s now and again, or a fine Scotch whisky.

The first round’s on me. What’ll you have?
awww.websmileys.com_sm_drink_trink38.gif

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Definitely a Traditional. By far the best Big Rock beer out there.

I like a good Black and Tan as well. Brewster's makes a good Wildhead as well. And the Hammerhead is great too.

I'm not so much a hard alcohol guy anymore. That time has come and gone. I'm sure it will return, but I need some time to recover from Univerity gut rot.

Guiness is terrible. I don't know how people drink that stuff. It's not for me, and if you drink it, my hats off to you, but it's definitely waaaay down on my list with cat piss and Elmer's glue. Just my feelings tho.:D

R35

OP
Big Brother Dunk

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Definitely a Traditional. By far the best Big Rock beer out there.

I like a good Black and Tan as well. Brewster's makes a good Wildhead as well. And the Hammerhead is great too.

I'm not so much a hard alcohol guy anymore. That time has come and gone. I'm sure it will return, but I need some time to recover from Univerity gut rot.

Guiness is terrible. I don't know how people drink that stuff. It's not for me, and if you drink it, my hats off to you, but it's definitely waaaay down on my list with cat piss and Elmer's glue. Just my feelings tho.:D

R35
My wife is Irish and she turned me on to Guinness many years ago at the Irish Pavilion at Folkfest, an annual multi-cultural festival here, and I now realize it's the nectar of the gods.;)

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Not a beer guy myself. Beer in general is way down with horse piss and Elmer's glue.

I prefer a nice regenerating sports drink of some sort, but if it was a bad round, I'll down (dark) rum and cokes and beg a buddy to drive me home. It's actually about all I 'drink' now. Appleton Estates, Cruzan, and something else that we had when I was visiting home last time...sweet goodness.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Actually, on that note, have you guys tried the new Coca Cola Classic Zero?

It tastes so much better than Diet Coke. Couldn't have come at a better time, as I'm trying to avoid drinking non-diet pops in general.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Silver:

The story on Coke Zero is that they tried to formulate something that tastes as close to Coca Cola as possible without any calories. From what I can understand, this was not the case with Diet Coke. I think they did a very good job...

Back to the Thread...BBD...

I am a vodka guy. Frankly I love beers/ales but they really put the weight on me...so I switched to vodka. I used to drink Bass, Harp, Sierra Nevada etc but the weight was a real problem..

I usually have a vodka and club soda with some olive juice...kind of like a "dirty martini" with club soda to stretch it out a bit...

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
B, my understanding is that (longer ago that I can remember), they switched from Coca Cola to "Coke" and also released "Diet Coke" at the time. Apparently, Coke wasn't accepted all that well, so they went back to "Coca Cola Classic", but did not make the same change with Diet Coke.

Coke Zero is apparently on the same formula as Coke Classic, whereas Diet Coke is the same formula as "Coke".

Or at least that's how it was explained to me. Could be hogwash, but that's what I "know".

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm a huge Diet Coke fan. DW came home today with some Coke Zero... I couldn't tell the difference??? She said that Coke zero is just what they were calling Diet Coke now, kinda like the Sprite Zero thing. She might be wrong???

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
she is wrong...in my opinion anyhow...they taste different to me

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I like a cold beer after a round. Well, actually sometimes I like a cold beer during a round.

My favorite local beer is Shiner, either the Bock or Grolsh. My favorite import is Becks.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Silver said:
B, my understanding is that (longer ago that I can remember), they switched from Coca Cola to "Coke" and also released "Diet Coke" at the time. Apparently, Coke wasn't accepted all that well, so they went back to "Coca Cola Classic", but did not make the same change with Diet Coke.

Coke Zero is apparently on the same formula as Coke Classic, whereas Diet Coke is the same formula as "Coke".

Or at least that's how it was explained to me. Could be hogwash, but that's what I "know".

Silver: You are close..

I know a little about the Coca Cola Company...while they are certainly well known worldwide - there has always been a bit of a 'dark side' about them in terms of secretiveness and cunning.

Diet Coke had been around quite awhile before they decided to shelve their traditional formula (Coca Cola) and introduce 'New Coke'. New Coke was modeled in sweetness and taste to be more like Pepsi because marketing surveys indicated Pepsi to be more popular among younger drinkers who liked the sweeter taste of Pepsi. As you know, the whole thing backfired on them as loyal Coca Cola drinkers railed against New Coke. So they reversed their field and did away with New Coke and reintroduced Coca Cola as Coca Cola Classic.

Diet Coke was introduced several years before all of this- of course as a zero calorie drink but (according to my source) was deliberately formulated to 'taste somewhat worse' than Coca Cola. They did this because they were concerned that the sales of Coca Cola would suffer greatly if they introduced a diet version that tasted just as good as The Real Thing. So Diet Coke was (successfully) introduced to taste worse than Coca Cola and it has stayed with this 'taste positioning' since its introduction.

Then - the New Coke/Switch/Switchback debacle came several years later.

Last year, they decided to introduce a zero calorie version of the drink that would taste as close to Coca Cola as possible. Ideally, testers and drinkers would not be able to tell any difference. So this is another 'marketing reversal' of a previous decision. Although I do not drink much Coke, we have both Coca Cola and Coke Zero in the fridge and I cannot tell the difference, whereas I have always thought Diet Coke tasted like tin...

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I see, that makes sense. Although I can tell the difference between Coke Classic and Zero - only because of the Aspartame. Other than that, Zero's great.

Thanks for the clarification.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
S - you're right, the new Zero is sweeter than the original Diet. I still like the taste of diet soda better, call me crazy?!?!?!

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Jack Daniels please! Jack and coke if it's typical hot weather here, if it's cold many time I'll go for a B&B to warm up a bit. I like beer just fine but it really does nothing to quench a thirst for me.

P_102

OP
Big Brother Dunk

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Bravo said:
Silver:

The story on Coke Zero is that they tried to formulate something that tastes as close to Coca Cola as possible without any calories. From what I can understand, this was not the case with Diet Coke. I think they did a very good job...

Back to the Thread...BBD...

I am a vodka guy. Frankly I love beers/ales but they really put the weight on me...so I switched to vodka. I used to drink Bass, Harp, Sierra Nevada etc but the weight was a real problem..

I usually have a vodka and club soda with some olive juice...kind of like a "dirty martini" with club soda to stretch it out a bit...

Yeah, vodka & tonic is a great drink on a hot summer day.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.