• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When is too much for backweighting?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I got my super light ported Limey wedges back from my club making friend. He was going to play around with lead tape on the head, but in the end he decided to compensate for overall static weight by simply backweighting.

So I had a 400g wedge that I wanted to be ~450g. He just bunged 50g in the handle. Swinging it feels nice, no longer feels too light, but am I kidding myself? I thought I needed the weight in the head to cope with tough greenside lies / bunkers.

I had a quick play at the range last night. Feels really nice over a good tight lie. Jury still out on shots from rough and bunkers. It says 5 degrees on 60 degree one. The flange looks massive!

Anyone any thoughts?

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
You still have a 300-something gram head swinging on the end of a pretty long stick - that's plenty of angular momentum to rip right on through some grass. It's all perception as far as heft goes, and that backweight gave it to you -- assuming you'll let it. If your head is convinced that the clubhead needs to be heavier to do the job, that may be enough to screw you up. Just believe that it'll work and it'll work. I actually play my wedges 1/2" long because that gives them a greater pendulum feel and they feel like they'll swing through the ball (and whatever junk may be surrounding it) better, but again that's just perception. My standard-length graphite-shafted wedges can do it just as well if I let them -- in fact, probably a little better because I can more easily swing them fast.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have played 20g in my FW's and 30g in my driver for over a year now and they work for me and feel great.

If I were to backweight my wedges, which I am considering, I would likely go 40-50g.

Rockford John

Sep 9, 2020
Country
United States United States
What is the least amount of weight that will make difference in backweighting; driver , fw. woods, irons and putter?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I think it depends on the individual. Some people like 20-30g, others like it a bit higher. Some don’t like it at all.
I think it’s a feel thing that is hard to guess or give general rules of thumb

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think it depends on the individual. Some people like 20-30g, others like it a bit higher. Some don’t like it at all.
I think it’s a feel thing that is hard to guess or give general rules of thumb

Yeah I think you gotta play around with it. I am in the camp that did not like back weighting. It threw my feel for the club head all off. But like most things in golf, your mileage may vary.

🔥 Latest posts