• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which is rarer

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
A hole in one or a 2 on a par four?

I got my third, par 4 eagle today on a 385 yd par 4. I holed a 6 utility wood from 165 yards out.

I've never had a hole in one in nearly 20 years of play.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States

I got my third, par 4 eagle today on a 385 yd par 4. I holed a 6 utility wood from 165 yards out.

I think you answered your own question.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I've had one ace and I believe 9 eagles on Par 4's. No question as far as I am concerned. Although I believe a double eagle (Albatross) is likely far more rare than a Hole-in-one. I have only personally known two people to ever do so. One on a par 4 (Ace as well), one on a Par 5 just a few weeks ago.

Sad part is, I only have 1 eagle on par 5's, and it was the last eagle I made.

The longest shot I ever made was just outside 150 yards, unfortunately it was for par after hitting a ball into the hazard on two, dropped, hit over the hazard and then in from around 150. Too imagine a double eagle is just amazing as it would require not one, but likely two perfect shots in a row for the caliber of golf that most of us play. I have come very close to acing a Par 4 on more than one occasion, for which would likely be my best chance at a double eagle.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I agree with the concensus here. I also think a double eagle is harder than a hole in one. I've been closer to a double eagle, though. Driver, hybrid to about a half of an inch. Perfectly pin high, just sitting slightly to the left. I'm not sure how it didn't go in, or how I would have reacted if it did. I'm sure I would have promptly shit my pants and had a heart attack simultanously.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Its a matter of simple odds really. You only have 3-4 chances a round to get a hole in one. Yet to hole out from the fairway you have the remaining 14-15 chances every round. So its roughly 4 times easier to hole out from the fairway. Double eagle is a different story altogether. To this you needs both great length and accuracy and this opportunity presents itself even less than the par 3's.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Its a matter of simple odds really. You only have 3-4 chances a round to get a hole in one. Yet to hole out from the fairway you have the remaining 14-15 chances every round. So its roughly 4 times easier to hole out from the fairway. Double eagle is a different story altogether. To this you needs both great length and accuracy and this opportunity presents itself even less than the par 3's.

Simple math I guess, good point. Yes, it seems that there are simply more chances for the eagle 2 on a par 4.

I've not had an ace yet (also playing for over 20 years). 2 Eagles, one on a par 4, and I holed out within the last couple months on a par5 from about 30 yards I think.

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006

I agree. I figured that out after making the initial post. On my home course I'm hitting 10 shots in to par 4 greens and only 4 to par 3s.

I have had one close call for an albatross. I put a 3 wood two feet past the pin on a par 5 on the Keystone River course. I ended up with a par.:mad:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hole in one for me.

Hole in one is luck, 2 is proper execution on a short 4. For me anyway.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007

its also a matter of generally being closer with the second on a good number of the par 4's, giving you greater odds of it dropping.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
No aces for me, no eagles either, although I have been real damn close twice. Still doesn't count though.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
For me it was more a matter of shorter reachable par 4's, where 8 of my 9 where either on chips, short pitches or putts, mainly putts, and the reason I mentioned I had only eagled one par 5. The other was from about 90-100 yards.

Did play with a good friend of mine that eagled a par 4 from about 80 yards, then on the very next par 4 (2 holes later) hit the stick and left the ball on the edge of the cup from 178 yards. Kinda freaked both of us out.

Actually his wife just eagled a par 4 this weekend from 112 yards out for her first eagle when we were playing together this weekend. She had a hole in one 3 months ago. My wifes only eagle was when she drove the green on a par 4, 20 feet past the pin and made the putt coming back. Had to apologize to the group on the green at the time, but they simply said to make the putt. She has never had an ace.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
No aces for me, no eagles either, although I have been real damn close twice. Still doesn't count though.

Right there with you, brother. The closest I've come was on my most recent round, where the flag and wind completely robbed me of glory. Short shot on a Par 5, the wind shifted and leaned the old raggedy flagstick the other direction as the ball bounced and rolled toward it. Ball bounced off the stick, but if it had stayed where it originally was the ball would've dropped right in the hole. I was happy with the tap-in birdie, but I sure wanted my first eagle. I did pitch one in for birdie (the only other birdie of the round) and get a miraculous skip off a lake in the same round so I can't be mad, but I was SO CLOSE to that first eagle.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I think the fact that people are often chipping and even putting for 2 on short par 4s is the biggest factor. I've never had an ace in 20 years, but I've made eagle 2s ( and 3s ). You rarely get to putt for an ace ;)

_Almost_ jarred an albatross with a 3i, after one of the best drives I've ever hit. Left a huge ballmark 2" left of the cup.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

I have 3 aces and maybe a dozen hole outs from the fairway on par 4's for eagle.

I've come one half of a revolution of the golf ball on a par 5 for a deuce.

That is way more rare than an ace.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.