• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which is rarer

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hole in one for me.

Hole in one is luck, 2 is proper execution on a short 4. For me anyway.

What if you jar it on the fly?

R35
Ace_rip.jpg

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I have 3 aces and maybe a dozen hole outs from the fairway on par 4's for eagle.

I've come one half of a revolution of the golf ball on a par 5 for a deuce.

That is way more rare than an ace.

R35

An LPGA player (Stanford?) scored a double eagle in last weeks tournament. One of the announcers commented that it was only the 30th double eagle in the tours history.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
An LPGA player (Stanford?) scored a double eagle in last weeks tournament. One of the announcers commented that it was only the 30th double eagle in the tours history.

30 double eagles in how many holes of golf? Man, that would be interesting to find that out.

R35

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Kind of mind boggling. Figure an average of 30 tournaments a year, 3 rds each tournament, 100 players each rd, 50 years of play. Ballpark half a million rounds for 30 double eagles???

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Extra credit if you can answer without looking it up: If a double eagle is an albatross, what's a triple eagle? (Granted, achievable only in some silly handicapped team event when someone with a big one gets lucky)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Extra credit if you can answer without looking it up: If a double eagle is an albatross, what's a triple eagle? (Granted, achievable only in some silly handicapped team event when someone with a big one gets lucky)
Condor, and I did not have to look it up. Probably no surprise since I knew a double eagle was an Albatross :)

edit 1 - Knew it because I read the story about the guy who had the longest hole in one on record, and how it kinda ruined his life, on a straightaway par 5 in Miracle Hills, Nebraska. Actually, I think it may have been a par 4??? But has been done on some dogleg par 5's

edit 2 - interesting story. I think this may be the one I read from Golf Digest.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_3_52/ai_70888033

edit 3 - ... and I may be wrong, but I believe the first person who had one may have selected the name??? Can't remember where I heard that.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Condor, and I did not have to look it up. Probably no surprise since I knew a double eagle was an Albatross :)

edit 1 - Knew it because I read the story about the guy who had the longest hole in one on record, and how it kinda ruined his life, on a straightaway par 5 in Miracle Hills, Nebraska. Actually, I think it may have been a par 4??? But has been done on some dogleg par 5's

edit 2 - interesting story. I think this may be the one I read from Golf Digest.
THE GHOST OF MIRACLE HILL : The story behind golf's longest hole-in-one and the mysterious man who made it | Golf Digest | Find Articles at BNET

edit 3 - ... and I may be wrong, but I believe the first person who had one may have selected the name??? Can't remember where I heard that.

Well, you win, but I'm not sure what. :p At least it sounds better than albatross. Too much Coleridge there.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Three holes in one for me.

More 2s on Par fours than I could possibly ever remember. I was excited when it happened each time though.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
I agree with the concensus here. I also think a double eagle is harder than a hole in one. I've been closer to a double eagle, though. Driver, hybrid to about a half of an inch. Perfectly pin high, just sitting slightly to the left. I'm not sure how it didn't go in, or how I would have reacted if it did. I'm sure I would have promptly shit my pants and had a heart attack simultanously.

Ah the Shart Attack, that would be my reaction as well.

Y.U.Doodat

Feb 12, 2017
Country

I have been playing golf for well over 40 years and I have five Eagles. One on a par 5; three on par 4s; and I got my first hole-in-one last year on a 115 yard par 3. Paradoxically, the hole-in-one came on the third hole after more than a one-year lay off of playing golf of any kind!

It's certainly a thrill that stays with you for quite a while when you get your first hole-in-one.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Either way GREAT SHOT!!!!
RETRO thread. Some names that bring back memories. As the poster said, though, I've had only two aces but quite a few eagles. OTOH, I would think an albatross... double eagle... would be almost as difficult as the ace. At my age, eagles, aces, albatrosses, and dry farts... all are rare.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I would say that an albatross would be more difficult because the opportunity to get one is rarer. A typical course has 4 par 3's while often one wouldn't have a single opportunity at an albatross.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.