• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

why cant I hit my damn PW!

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
:mad:

I swear, I can hit that damn thing...I go to the driving range,..grab my 8 iron..hit it good....grab my 6 iron..hit it good,.....grab my 4 iron,..hit it good........hit my driver a few times, just fine down the middle....

after a short break, I grab my PW and try some 75-100 yard shots and I'm absolutely all over the place with it......one shank, one fat, snap hook one........I pull out my eight iron, choke up, play the ball way up in my stance, and I can hit it 75 yards, 100 yards, whatever I want to do with it...but not my PW :mad:

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
That's curious. The PW seems to me to be the easiest club to hit

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Is the head coming loose/spinning?

Its doubtful, but worth checking. A friend of mine was having the same problem with his 8 iron. We checked it and the head would turn on the end of the shaft, it never flew off, we couldn't even pull it off by hand. But the damn thing would spin around and around. Weirdist thing I'd ever seen.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States

Its doubtful, but worth checking. A friend of mine was having the same problem with his 8 iron. We checked it and the head would turn on the end of the shaft, it never flew off, we couldn't even pull it off by hand. But the damn thing would spin around and around. Weirdist thing I'd ever seen.

I had an old 64* wilson cavity back HL wedge that did that. That thing was a jewl let me tell you.

OP
DaGris

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007

I'll check it out..I doubt it,..I probably just suck!

I'll try to hit some tomorrow..I could have just been tired and wasnt swinging

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
Decelerating?

Take a shorter back swing than you think you need and make sure you are accelerating through the ball.

Yep. Whenever I have this problem with a particular club I go to a 1/2 backswing until I can hit it consistently and then work my way back up to a full swing from there. Hit several balls with the 1/2 swing until you're comfortable with the club, then move up to a 3/4 swing, etc.

gabagoo

Apr 10, 2009
It could be wrist breakdown. I experienced this for a few years and drove me crazy, my wedges could have this awful shank. After 2 years I finally may have figured my wrists were breaking a split second to early causing the shank. May be due to the club being shorter and standing to far away. I still am not sure but I now am very aware of my wrists and have never had the shanks since.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
:mad:

I swear, I can hit that damn thing...

D,

What set are you playing?

I had this same issue when I played my MP-33's. I found that the toe on the PW of that set was very rounded and the offset was alot more than the low irons which gave it an appearance at address of digging the snot out of the shot at hand. Once I switched out to a 48* MP-T wedge, it was nite and day.

See if you can't snag a low lofted wedge to replace your PW. Or, get a 52 bent to 50* and go from there. Or better yet, have a look at some wedges at the shop and see if this isn't the case before buying. It wouldn't surprise me, as alot of PW's in sets are just an different look entirely...

Such a strange game, this is....

R35

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Hit some balls with your feet together and you will figure it out real fast.

OP
DaGris

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
...well,...played 18 yesterday...and played like crap...everything was going right.....sooo maybe I just suck!?!?!...lol!!!!!

I'll figure it out someday...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't know what i would do if my pitching wedge or gap wedge started to fail on me...

Those are the two clubs that when i step over the ball, i know i will hit well.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I suck at golf too. Yesterday I played 9 holes after work. I was hitting the ball so well. Hit 3 wood on a uphill 210 yard par 3, over a lake, landed on and held the green. Played a tight dogleg, over a lake par 5 perfectly: 3 hybrid, lay up 7 iron, 5 iron over the lake to middle of green. Just striking the ball great.

Still shot a 44. :1898_:

Damn short game.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I suck at golf too. Yesterday I played 9 holes after work. I was hitting the ball so well. Hit 3 wood on a uphill 210 yard par 3, over a lake, landed on and held the green. Played a tight dogleg, over a lake par 5 perfectly: 3 hybrid, lay up 7 iron, 5 iron over the lake to middle of green. Just striking the ball great.

Still shot a 44. :1898_:

Damn short game.

I'll take that 44 on a regular basis. That's better than bogey golf.

Members online

No members online now.