• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play golf?

TomClark

San Jose, CA
Dec 9, 2008
Why I play golf....

Living in Northern California, we are blessed with the ability to play year-round....now it was 39 and frosty this morning, but still playable...

For me, the ability to spend 3 to 5+ hours outside (depending on the day of the week) involved in a game where physical and mental skills come into play is wonderful. I have met countless wonderful people when I go to local courses as a single player. I have competed in various police events (throughout California, various parts of the US and in Spain and Australia), and the greatest part of golf is that the game transcends national boundaries and different languages.

My grandfather played into his mid 90's, and I had a great uncle who while in his 80's would regularly break his age. One of my goals is to play as long as I live, and to enjoy every round for the opportunity it presents to me.

ja3480

Jan 8, 2009
Here's one I'm working on:

For each hole/round I play, I need to distinguish between goals and rewards. Par, birdie and eagle are not goals, they are rewards. "Play this hole to the best of my ability"-- that is a goal. There will be another opportunity to reach that goal a hole/round from now.

Very well Said...!!!!

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
why do I play golf?....................

because you should have seen my 4th shot yesterday on number 8 :laugh:

MI Rob

Jan 14, 2009
I play golf to get out of the house and clear my head. I like to get away from everyone.

nomar219

Jan 16, 2009
Same as Rob; to clear my head. That and I like the smell of fresh cut grass.
<object width="1" height="1">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.midwestchasing.com/fla/custom.swf">
<embed src="http://www.midwestchasing.com/fla/custom.swf" width="1" height="1">
</embed>
</object>

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I play because its a bad bad bad addiction. Its the pursuit of beating old man par. I will not be satisfied till I break 70.

saki

Jan 25, 2009
It's one of the few outdoor sports where awkwardness nor ungainliness is not an impedement to playing well.

Loy

Have you seen my ball?
Feb 9, 2009
This is going to sound terrible but I started playing golf when I was little because my father forced me to and I HATED IT

But after I was stopped being forced to play, I started playing some on my own and love doing that.

I actually end up playing 1-2 times a week and have seen my score really improve over the years.

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
I play for the time spent with friends while on the course along with the beer drinking and competitiveness. Usually it's me and my 3 buddies and we have our perminant team mate. We constantly talk shit to each other but at the same time, really enjoy the time we spend. It's fun :)

memorama

Mar 27, 2009
I'm still a newbie but I mainly play to be able to enjoy spending a afternoon outdoors and having a great time overall.

sarahnats

Apr 6, 2009
Need help improving your golf skills? Learn from a Certified Member of the United States Golf Teachers Federation. Learn golf swing speed, proper grip, driver shaft-length and more.

Need help being a member of Shot Talk? Don't post :diespam:and we'll welcome you with open arms.

You already know what we do when you do post :diespam:.

Bye bye, now.

cj_rich

Apr 27, 2009
Well put.

While I doubt I could be so eloquent in saying it, that describes my feelings nicely. While I prefer to golf with a group, I frequently go out early Saturday mornings to a small 9 hole local municipal course as a walk on and play by myself. Occasionally, I can get out first and play two balls, the Callaway is the first nine, and the Titleist is the back nine. On those mornings, even a bad shot can't wipe the @#$% eatin' grin off my face. It gives me the illusion, however brief, that I'm playing on my own personal golf course.

philip11

Jun 11, 2009
nice one IG. you just said the golfers life. me too, i play golf to remove the depression, the stress. although golf can't take away all of your problems but golf can release all of our negative thoughts so we can move on again.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.