1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play golf?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by IrishGolfer, Jun 29, 2005.

1. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

United States United States
    This is our last week as members at the course down the street from our 'hood. They do not (and will not) offer seasonal memberships and we're only in VA about 5.5 months, so it doesn't make fiscal sense. It's been a great season of quick and convenient golf. I played in a 3-some today in 3.5 hours and was only away from the house for 4 hours. Now it's back to using my VSGA card and Golfnow to get discounts at local courses. I am looking forward to testing my game at different venues but not looking forward to the driving to and from. Rounds will now eat up 5 to 7 hours of my day. No complaints - we have some decent courses within 20 to 40 minutes of my place and I will still play here at least once/week with my Thursday scramble group. We also have a group of guys in my 'hood that like to travel out once a week. It will be good for my game to play different courses too, then back to FL in the fall.

2. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Do what makes you happy Steve. You've earned it.

3. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

More course pro shops to peruse for new/different/more clubs. More miles to travel where you might spy a garage sale with a Ping bag setting out with the "Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for Dummies" books. More time spent over-analyzing which of the dozens of sets of clubs in your arsenal that will perform best on the specific course you are going to play that day. More likely to not have your membership revoked for a single club when you pat the cart girl on the behind. Lots of "new and exciting" possibilities!!!!:D

PaPaD and Fairwaysplitter3320 like this.
  4. PaPaD

I like the way you think Limp! You got it all correct except I only own three sets of irons - I ho alot, but I sell one set to buy another. Currently I have the G30, ZING, and Acer XV irons. Assorted wedges and 3 drivers - Cobra S3 Max, Callaway Razr Hawk and a no-name component slug.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  5. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Back to playing like a common Geezer.

MCDavis and PaPaD like this.
  6. Libre

Libre Well-Known Member

Why do I play golf?

the beauty of the game itself

the beauty of the surroundings

the companionship and competition with your buddies

it can be enjoyed throughout your life

the test of skill, with so many techniques and areas of improvement

upholding the tradition of playing an ancient game, essentially unchanged for millennia (rules and equipment change, but the essence of golf is, and has always been, to hit a stationary ball into a hole in the ground using clubs, in a minimum of attempts or strokes)

the variety of situations - it never gets boring or repetitive - no two rounds are the same and no two courses are the same

that it is an absorbing and active, outdoor activity

that it can always be enjoyed with friends, strangers, or solo - you can always just go and play golf

the immense satisfaction I receive from playing even one single shot well

the immense amount that I CARE about how well I've played a shot, despite the fact that failure has no actual consequences. I can play well or poorly, but the next day the sun still comes up.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  7. bubblebee

bubblebee New Member

Philippines Philippines
    Some people have put it in here quite nicely, but I play golf mainly for the conversations over business and for the relaxation. There's something about a field of green.

TheTrueReview and limpalong like this.
  8. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

I play golf because it's fun. I like getting out in the fresh air. I enjoy the challenge of hitting the golf ball. I love the satisfaction of a well-hit shot.

9. Old Chuckie T

Old Chuckie T New Member

Back in the days before recorded history and the entire world was in black and white, I started high school and wanted to participate in sports. I had enjoyed early youth sports like Little League, and thought I'd give high school sports a go if I were good enough to make a team.

I quickly discovered, however, that while I enjoyed sports, I hated "jock culture." It seemed that all the preppies involved in school sports had either boorish or abrasive personalities, and often, the IQ of an ice cube to go with them. Thus I eschewed school sports and found something for which I was better suited. I took up amateur boxing at the CYO gym. The less privileged than I juvenile delinquents that I met there were nonetheless more pleasant company than the school jocks. Maybe it was me. I can't really explain it.

Boxing wasn't quite enough, nor was it something that I could do indefinitely, given that my brain had but a finite number of cells to be destroyed. I let my uncle--my mom's older brother--get me interested in public links golf. I took a few lessons, and noticed immediately that the course offered more fresh air than the gym, and one tended to bleed a lot less.

Perhaps not the best reason ever to take up golf, but what the hell--it was my reason.

10. PaPaD

One of my favorite parts of the game. There's always at least one flushed center-struck beauty that brings us back.

11. limpalong

The flushed shots you barely feel leave the clubface are rewarding, that's for sure. What seems to keep me motivated are the missed shots. "Tomorrow, I'll make those short putts I missed today!" "Tomorrow, I'll use the 7-iron to chip instead of the wedge!" "Tomorrow...………" One of these days, EVERY part of the game will sync and I'll shoot my age. Until then, it's those missed opportunities that keep me coming back in an attempt to defeat the beasts in my mind.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  12. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Did someone happen leave their clubs out?

[​IMG]

13. BogeySwine

BogeySwine Active Member

1. When my kids were all at home I couldn't afford the time off work from injuries from contact sports!
    2. When my kids got older we helped them with College costs so I couldn't afford time off work from injuries from contact sports!
    3. When the kids left I was so beat up from work I couldn't play the contact sports!
    4. The only time I saw the two boys after College was if I invited them to play golf.
    5. Turns out after playing golf for 40 years I finally realized I like it more than all the other sports!

14. Uncle Azzhole

Uncle Azzhole Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...

I like the serenity of being on the course by myself, no one chatting with me... thats when I play my best because I dont think about anything but how beautiful the scenery is (ok, when the bear girl goes by I like how that scenery is as well) I just hate cities, I am from a very small town in Maine and I miss the woods surrounding my grand parents home.
    If someone would mow the forest so I could play there without the high cost of the golf course I would greatly appreciate it...

15. limpalong

Does the 'bear girl' s**t in the woods? :D Aren't those paws too big and clumsy for her to make change? If you could snap a picture of her driving the cart...…:D

I apologize! I've gotten so bad about typing too fast and posting before proofing. The English language can be so funny when one letter in a complete paragraph is a little off. No offense meant. Just couldn't pass us commenting about a "bear girl".:)

Uncle Azzhole and TheTrueReview like this.
  16. J.P.C.

J.P.C. Well-Known Member

South Africa South Africa

same as when the husband sends his wife a text: "i'm having a great time, wish you were her"?

17. Uncle Azzhole

Uncle Azzhole Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...

ROFL, It was late and I have been in so much pain.. I usually catch my spelling mistakes but that one is funny so I wont be changing it :p

[​IMG]