• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play golf?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
It drives me to drink! But honestly the challenge, it is tough game to master in itself and then you throw in different courses and it will drive you to drink. God I love it!

Snoz

Nov 17, 2005
earlier this year i busted my knee playing touch football - after surgery the doc told me i was restricted in what i could do - golf was something i could do so i took it up.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
I had to start playing golf, MY WIFE TOLD ME THAT SEX AT MY AGE WOULD KILL ME.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I play golf for the challenge, the challenge that is brought on standing over every shot that you take. The idea that this next swing could bring the best shot of my life or could land in the water. I enjoy the sportsmanship that the game is based on, the fact that you are playing against the course and that through the handicap system I can play a round with my friend who has never broken 100 and he could beat me.

It makes my day when one of my students hits that shot that they have been struggling to hit for weeks and turns to me with an amazed smile as if to say "did you see that?"

Well, I babbled on long enough here.

Witmaster

Esprit de Corps
Jan 19, 2006
IrishGolfer said:
  • Club ho'ing will not make me play any better. It may enhance aspects of my game and make me feel better, but ultimately the knowledge that the margin between a £10 club and a £1000 club is minimal in the context of the game
This, among so many other things you wrote, greatly encourages me. Being relatively new to the game and on a limited income I don't (yet) have the freedom to go out and drop 2+ grand on a dream set of clubs.

My first set of clubs was an old set of Spaldings. I have no idea how old they actually are but I bought them from an older gentlemen whose arthritis was so bad he could no longer play. The wood are actually made out of Persimmon Wood!!!

I just got a set of Confidence Clubs for christmas. I really no very litle about the Mfg of these clubs but I enjoy playing with them. It just frustrates me how some people won't give you the time of day if you aren't sporting a new set of Big Berthas or what-not.

Anyhow, enough of my long-winded endorsement of your post. Thanks for keeping it all in perspective :)

No Knack Hack

Jan 25, 2006
tmag
You stated the reasons I play golf about as well as anyone can.

I love the game! Nothing is more challenging than hitting that little white ball consistantly. Being a real duffer, I never know what game I'm going to show up with on any given round. But the thrill of periodically hitting a shot every bit as good as Tiger is so cool and rewarding.

I find the game mysterious, entertaining and golf courses beautiful. Is there anything else quite like golf??

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's all those incredible shots I can play back in my mind like a highlight reel. Bombing a drive 10 yds. further than the longest avg. on the PGA tour. Chipping in for a birdie from 25 ft. away.
It is the challenge and the potential for greatness. I have birdied every hole at my home course at some point in the last 2 years. I'm sure a lot of golfers can say the same. Imagine if one day it all came together for one magical round. I could kick Tiger's ass. I'll let you know when it happens.

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
I play because it's a life long journey to get better each time out..at least I try. I like the cameraderie and passion that is shared amongst us. We all can relate to what it's like to miss those 2 footers as well as share in the excitement and glory of a birdie. I love the feeling of standing over the ball after a well struck drive as well as getting up and down. I like the fact that total strangers can become very good friends toward the end of the round.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Our season kicks off fairly soon. The competitive juices are already flowing. This year I want to play my best ever golf. I want to shoot a level par round or better in competitive play. However I will try and live to my original tenets from last year and here's some other stuff I am going to work towards:

• It's a gift playing golf. I will strive to enjoy being out on the course, regardless of weather, score or company.
  • I will try and play every round of golf as if it's my last and just try and enjoy it
  • I will laugh at the bad shots as much as I laugh at the good ones, this is not my living! I will accept the fact that every shot I hit will not be perfect, but I will strive and believe that I have the capability to make it so
  • When I practice it's all about 100 yards and in.
  • Chipping and putting is a wonderful challenge, rewarded by patience
  • I will develop a sound putting routine and then wait for the putts to drop
  • I will learn from my expereinces and try and not make unforced mental errors.

Attitude is so important in this game. What I lack in skill and time, I figure I can counter with a positive mental attitude.

jstanger12

Mar 28, 2006
I play golf because I am 23 years old and was a three sport athlete in high school (baseball, basketball, and football) and a college quarterback. I love playing any sport that I can whenever I can and know that one day when I'm in my 40's and 50's my body isn't going to be able to handle playing football and running up and down the basketball court. The reason I play golf and am so obsessed with being good at the sport is that I've been very good at any sport that I have tried in the past and know that when my body has reached is limits where I cannot run up and down the basketball court, golf will always be there.

TEJAY3806

Apr 2, 2006
I play golf because it is intresting. Its a challenge agains the elements and myself. Its a sport where your always trying to improve your game and you meet some nice people along the way.

brahma05

Mar 27, 2006
The reason I play golf is that after college what can you do that is competitive????You can play Golf until you are 100 years old, and compete in tournaments or against friend, or heck even yourself...

MP4-Eedz

4th Boondock Saint
Apr 9, 2006
Sports is my thing, love all kinds. Each sport has its own persona, Golf just so happens to be very very classy

And of course you can play it for as long as you live at a good level

Major_Hack

Jun 20, 2006
Its:
Tee shots that actually go where you wanted them.
Those 180 yard shots to the green that looked so pretty.
That 30 foot chip into the cup.
The sand shot that stops 2 inches from the cup.
The 20 foot put that breaks twice and drains.
Tryin to break 80.

Keeps you coming back

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.