• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play golf?

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
Why do I play golf?

- Golf allows me to indulge my competitive side in a match that involves no one by myself and the course. I can be very happy when my partners make a great shot because it means nothing to my own round. My own inadequacies with the "crooked sticks" will not impact anyone else's overall enjoyment of the round (unlike my softball leagues :) )

- Golf gives me the opportunity to spend 4 quality hours out in the sunshine and fresh air walking some beautiful and panoramic landscapes

- Golf is a "ageless" game. I can play now in my late 30's with my son and daughter (6 and 11 years old) and still play with them 30 years from now (hopefully). Unlike many sports, there is no age limit for golf.

- Golf is one game that gives me the opportunity to make shots as good as many of the "heroes" I watch play. I will never hit a baseball as far as Big Papi (David Ortiz), but I can still hit a 5 iron within 3 feet of the cup from 150 out like Phil does on Sundays.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Why do I play golf?

I'm too stupid not to.
Seriously though, I'd say because it is by far the most challenging thing I've ever done(played baseball, football, basketball, x-country, track all in high school) and it's constantly a challenge.

There is no mastering the sport, which keeps me interested.

stan

Aug 5, 2006
if i didn't play golf i would have nothing else to do on a thursday night

Ulprus

Aug 7, 2006
I just love it when my swing comes together. Shooting below my handicap is what keeps me playing golf. And that is why i play golf.

The fresh air is also a good reason to why i play golf. It's just a great sport!

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I golf because it is an outdoor sport. Almost all other forms of self flagellation occur in stale air. :)

dougo

Aug 18, 2006
I love that I have a club in my hands to hit thing ha! Being able to go out in the open air by yourself or with others to move that little round ball from a tee to a small hole is a joy. If you move the ball for 18 holes in 60 or 160, your the one that post the score. If you play bad, that one good hit sticks in your mind and you can not wait to go out and try to make it fly one more time. dougo

smileyrose

Aug 17, 2006
Here Goes!

Well I don't play golf as such, but if I could I suppose the reason why I'd be playing was to have a bit of peace and quiet away from him in-doors! My men are great companions, but there are times a girl just has to do what a girl has to do and thats to have some 'ME' time!

So, I think I'd love hitting that little old white ball straight down the middle of the old fairway, perhaps even scoring one of those little old birdies...and my, the thrill of putting that little old ball into that little hole and having the thrill of winning just sends shivers down my little old spine.

Oh and having one of those good old handicap scores that makes everyone else go weak at the knees...yeah, such a thrill, thrill, thrill. :D

I think perhaps I'd be using one of those little old ping putters, now i know just a little bit about those pings and yeah a dunlop ball too...for some reason I seem to be able to hit those far better than the rest of the balls out there! Hehe I can't wait to wiggle and swing at the same time too...now that part looks great fun! :D

Oh and If I couldn't play golf, maybe I'd consider being a caddy instead...you see I have great ambitions! :D

....Ok but you have to admit, it beats sitting at home bringing up babies! :)

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
United States United States
Why do I play?

Well.. I grew up doing it. My dad started me at a young age.. so I was always golfing. It was soo much fun, I didnt want to stop.

-I enjoy the striving to make a certain goal number. Breaking 100.. Breaking 90.. Now on to breaking 80.. It is so much fun.

-I love the atmosphere. Golf courses are the best looking places to me. I enjoy just seeing golf courses.

There are so many aspects to the game that I love.. I just enjoy playing.

:)

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
Here's one I'm working on:

For each hole/round I play, I need to distinguish between goals and rewards. Par, birdie and eagle are not goals, they are rewards. "Play this hole to the best of my ability"-- that is a goal. There will be another opportunity to reach that goal a hole/round from now.

That was a really good point.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.