• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do you need a shaft-puller.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I just got done reshafting my irons a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too hard getting the old shafts out at all. So why do you need a shaft puller for graphite shafts?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Because when you heat the hosel and epoxy and twist the shaft it will unravel the carbon fibers in the shaft. Once that happens, the structural integrity of the shaft tip is ruined. By pulling the head straight off the shaft, the fibers stay in place. Obviously with a steel shaft there are no worries about that.

Graphite shafts are really nothing more than woven/twisted carbon fibers molded into a resin base. The variations in the weave/twist, thickness of the fibers and resin is what makes each shaft different. The strength of the shaft comes from the carbon fibers -- once you mess that up the shaft loses it's strength in the tip.

Carbon fiber race car and airplane parts work the same way. Stronger than steel until you crack the outer resin coating or break some of the the fibers.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I just got done reshafting my irons a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too hard getting the old shafts out at all. So why do you need a shaft puller for graphite shafts?

LOL....you just go and try.....and report back.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Let's clarify; you only need the shaft puller for graphite shafts if you have any desire to re-use them... :D

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
A shaft puller is also pretty handy when you pull 200 shafts a month.

irfan

May 6, 2007
what kind of shaft puller do you prefer? i was thinkin about getting one if i could find a used one for 40 bucks. do you use the ratchet type that u put in a vise?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
what kind of shaft puller do you prefer? i was thinkin about getting one if i could find a used one for 40 bucks. do you use the ratchet type that u put in a vise?

This is the one I've got: CLUBMAKERS VISE SHAFT EXTRACTOR

I got it on sale new for about $60 (20% off tool sale a while ago). I've only used it a few times but it worked great. If I did more shaft pulls I'd consider getting a better one but this one has worked well for me so far.

🔥 Latest posts