• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why you like game improvement irons

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I was lamenting the demise of my cleveland wedges. I have shifted over to
taylor made wedges that have less bounce for no other reason than to try them with the matching rocketbladez irons that I like. This has led me to truly appreciate the 12 degree bounce and smooth dirtsplasher sole on the ex-clevelands.

While I was thinking on how impressively smoother my clevelands went through a shot, it occurred to me how a nice wide smooth wedge sole makes a shot easier, and it fell on me that the wide sole is a hallmark of gi clubs as well.

I dont have a clue how much bounce ya'll got in your wedge sets, but I bet the favorite has a higher bounce

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
That's why I fell in love with the original AP2 irons. They have a chunky sole with a compact profile. I'm a digger so I prefer a lot of bounce...especially in my wedges.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I don't really consider my irons to be game improving, because I can play horribly with them. But I do consider them to be game helping irons. My Mizuno MP-52 may not even be considered that by some, but hear me out. You have to be playing well to get the full benefit of any club in your bag, but I like having the thought in the back of my mind when I play, that a decent swing will work too. I'm anything but a golf pro, but for the most part I can hold my own from tee to green. I don't make perfect swings all the time, but I can make a decent swing more times than a horrible swing. I like that my 52's have just enough forgiveness to make a decent swing do the job.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
We weekend hackers HAVE to play with "game improvement" clubs. It's the law!!!!

Sheesh! I've had two aces in my enjoyment of this game. The first was with a '94 model Callaway Big Bertha iron. Top line one those was wider than a politician's fake smile. The second ace was with a 690mb Titleist blade. Those two sets of irons were about as far polar opposites as you could get. Yet, both had to be hit well to score well.
Some of us will feel more confidence when we look down on a game improvement iron. Others will feel more at home looking down on a blade type top line. It's about confidence. It's about knowing in your mind you can put the club on the ball. A 30 handicapper... Certainly, a wide bottom flange and perimeter weighting may assist them in keeping the ball in front of them. Most who play this game with any regularity, will have definitive ideas about what type of iron they play best.

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I got an idea I.want as much help as I can get going to the hole.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Max GI irons aren't always the answer for "going to the hole". Max GI irons, due to their perimeter weighting, like to make the ball go straight. It does take more work to turn a ball left to right or right to left with a GI iron vs. more of a "players club". Likewise, if one doesn't play a lot, they do want the ball to go straight.
My Eye 2+ irons are perimeter weighted and some would call them an example of GI irons. Put them up against a Nike Slingshot or X Series Callaway and there is no comparison. Put them up against my set of J33 combo blades and they do look oversize and GI.

We have a couple of holes at our home course where you better be able to turn an iron either way. If you can't you have a significantly reduced chance of hitting the green in regulation. Should we all play game improvement irons? Should we all play blades? Should we all play what we are comfortable with and feel we can score best with? I'll take the latter.

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
ahh the score thing..
If one doesnt shoot par but is comfortable with their irons I would say buy different clubs. Unless they are members of Shottalk who have sworn the holy persimmon oath to not purchase new clubs in 2014.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Should we all play game improvement irons? Should we all play blades? Should we all play what we are comfortable with and feel we can score best with?

I really like this comment and it just makes me think "to each there own." If you like playing blades, play them. If you like your GI clubs, play them!! I'm a firm believer that if you like and most importantly are comfortable with your set, you in turn will play better golf.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
ahh the score thing..
If one doesnt shoot par but is comfortable with their irons I would say buy different clubs. Unless they are members of Shottalk who have sworn the holy persimmon oath to not purchase new clubs in 2014.
I haven't heard anyone take that oath... being Shottalk & all. The answer to a better game is ALWAYS new clubs. And even if not... get new clubs anyways.:D

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I haven't heard anyone take that oath... being Shottalk & all. The answer to a better game is ALWAYS new clubs. And even if not... get new clubs anyways.:D
speaking of which, you should get mail on saturday they told me.

🔥 Latest posts