• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Will Phil win in '09

Will Phil win?

• Of course he will, it's Phil we're talking about!

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Nope... 0-for in 2009

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Nope, & hopefully he will drop to about 10th -12th which is about where he belongs. Have never understood his #2 ranking considering he hasn't been consistent nor good.

Using those criteria, you must be really confused about the current number two.

Golfgal

Jul 23, 2008

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Birdie on 18 today will give Mickelson the course record at Riviera and extend his lead going into Sunday's round. This thread could be moot at this time tomorrow evening.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Birdie on 18 today will give Mickelson the course record at Riviera and extend his lead going into Sunday's round. This thread could be moot at this time tomorrow evening.

No doubt. I'll be the fool too cause I said ZJ had a chance to win another before Phil won one. I don't think Zach made the cut.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Wow, all of us including myself who voted no are probably going to look pretty stupid tomorrow. Unless Phil has one of his famous meltdowns this should be a lock for him.

if he does somehow blow it, that's it for the year. His confidence will be shattered & tattered.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
haha... Lefty might make me eat my words tomorrow ;)

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
He was fantastic on Saturday, but my guess is that he'll completely collapse today and finish tied for 5th. Every time I think he's coming out of his hole, he digs in deeper.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
He was fantastic on Saturday, but my guess is that he'll completely collapse today and finish tied for 5th. Every time I think he's coming out of his hole, he digs in deeper.

Yeah... he is setup perfectly for a Phail! It'd have to be a pretty big one though!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

That bunker shot on 17 was just flat out amazing yesterday. I know McCord is a Mickelson apologist, but when he said (before the shot) that if there was anyone in the world you would want to hit this shot for you it was Mickelson; I had to agree. I could drop 100 balls in that same spot and probably never get as close to the hole as Phil did.

Its going to take a Normanesque Augsta collapse for Phil to lose today. Of course, we all know Phil is capable of such a collapse so it should be an interesting round to watch.

I hope he pulls off the win. Better story heading into matchplay if he wins.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Well, through 9, looks like Phil is trying to give it away. Always a good watch wether he is blowing the field away or struggling. :laugh:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I think its hilarious. The whole "Phail" thing. They posted the stats on the broadcast today. After a 54 hole lead, he's like 6-5 after being tied, 3-1 with a 1 stroke lead, 2-1 after a 2 stroke lead, 3-1 with a 3 stroke lead, and 3-0 with 4 or more stroke lead. Not exactly giving it away too often. Although, he just bogied 13 to go one down.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Should I lock the thread now? :D

Gave it away and then clawed back for the win. Phil wins. Poll is now useless. :laugh:

Poll as 22 for Phil and 16 against at the time of his win.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Stricker screwed up 18 & Phil pulled birdies outta his butt on 16 & 17 which enabled him to win.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Didn't take long to answer that question did it?

Stricker screwed up 18 & Phil pulled birdies outta his butt on 16 & 17 which enabled him to win.

Yeah, that's called playing tough in the clutch as opposed to "Phail"-ing... :laugh:

I knew he was going to win (and I think he did too) when he piped his drive down the middle on 17. They said on TV that he had the longest drive of the day there, even longer than J.B. Holmes. Personally, I thought Phil played great today -- he figured out a way to win even though he didn't have his "A" game.

Members online

No members online now.