• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windows 10 Question

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Upgraded my HP G72 laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Seems to run slower now, and the fan seems to run more.

Laptop specs: Intel Core i3 M350 @ 2.27GHz, 4 GB Ram, 64 bit X64 based, I use Chrome.

Windows 7 was the factory set up.

Should I not have upgraded due to the age of my laptop? Any advice OTHER THAN buy a new laptop?

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm thinking @eclark53520 has some knowledge on this topic, possibly a few others. I know Glark has given computer advice in the past...seems like there were some conversations about building a laptop vs. buying one.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
What bloatware did it come with? Quite often, what's downloaded comes bulging with extras that aren't needed. Try snooping around, see what fat you can trim.

That said, many people have experienced issues with the first run on Win10. If your machine is more than a couple years old, you might be on the outside looking in. Your specs here fit the bill, but that doesn't mean much.

I'm waiting for a bit to upgrade. A few too many horror stories at this point for me to dive in. I'm pretty happy with how things are running right now.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
4 gigs of ram is going to be rough especially if you have a few chrome tabs open(chrome is pretty ram intensive)...but shouldn't be a huge issue but throwing another 4 in there(assuming that's possible) wouldn't be difficult or expensive.

The fan running all the time could be a couple things...
  • possibly a bios setting that got wacky(not likely...but possible) if you check out #2 and CPU isn't being taxed by something and the fan is still running constantly, we can discuss how to fix that
  • Something is running in the background soaking up processor...check out the task manager processes and see what's hogging system resources...could possibly be a rogue virus scanner or something...
Another possible issue is that you're soaking up all your RAM and it's writing to the paging file...which depending on your HD could be extremely slow...especially if it's a mechanical drive that's over 3/4 or so full

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
(Didn't want to start a new thread.)

My PC is really pissing me off. This problem started a few days ago. When you right click something it brings up a box with all the available options, copy, print, inspect, etc. Now that box is transparent more often then not. You can see the outline of the box as if it's a window in front of the monitor. Sometimes by moving the mouse around the options will appear but not often. It also happens with my bookmark tabs.

I'm begging to suspect my video card. I've done a virus and malware scan but they have come up clean.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
device 01.jpg
device 02.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Does it clear up for a bit after a restart? Let it come all the way up after a restart and do nothing other than right click the background.

If it doesn't change, I would also suspect video card, but usually you see other artifacts and weirdness with a video card going bad, not something that specific and repeatable.

If it does clear up and only returns after you do some other stuff:

I'm guessing 4 gigs of RAM might have something to do with it, but that's a weird problem. I've seen context menus taking a long time to load due to overloaded systems or systems lacking required hardware for the OS, which, 4 gigs of RAM is what I would consider absolute minimum for a modern system on Windows 10 with modern browsers. If you're running any type of productivity app beyond word or excel along with a few chrome tabs, you're probably smoking your page file constantly. If you have a regular HDD and it's old or nearly full read/writes on the page file can be slow.

Also could be something corrupted within Windows 10...which may be fixed with a repair. Download the windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, there should be a repair function in there somewhere. Give that a shot.

EDIT: Also, when this is happening, open task manager. See if your system is being taxed (CPU, Memory, Storage).

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online