1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter & driving range mats

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by Wi-Golfer, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

United States United States
    is there anyway to avoid them? Don't want to get rusty over the winter layoff & I don't mind using the mats for my woods, but is there any alternative out there for irons? I despise hitting irons off those evil mats, feels similar to what I imagine striking a ball off a cart path might feel like.

2. zaphod

zaphod Well-Known Member

Get a beater set of irons and woods. Not forged. And no need to be cosmetically appealing. Blades my be good as forgiveness may be a deficit for practice sessions. Maybe some softer graphite shafts to get rid of the harshness of the mats and the Top Rock balls they use at Vitense Golfland.

Times of mat golf are better than times of NO golf.

Sun goggles also to follow the ball flight and avoid snow blindness. And a fat wallet. A Big George Bucket is not cheap.

My issue is trying to find an imbedded mat tee the right height. And getting over the crappy feel hitting a ball of those tees.

And a creative practice session routine. Hitting shot after shot gets boring. Practicing swing faults to perfect them seems to be counterproductive. I need to break the pattern up or I get really good at the swing fault Du Jour.

3. Wi-Golfer

The newer mats they got last year were pretty nice at first but they quickly got beat to crap & no longer are nice & lush. Thinking of hitting up Chula next thursday, sure it's a dome so you won't get the whole flight but as you mentioned, at Vitense I can't see the ball past 150 yds or so due to snow blindness anyways. Plus maybe being indoors where it's warmer I can wear a normal golf style shirt & my swing won't be impeded by a sweater or hoodie?

4. indacup

indacup Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Indoor Simulators are great for Winter conditioning.

5. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

I played an event at one of the most exclusive courses in the NorthEast in October. Their practice area and range was the nicest I have ever seen. In addition to the grass t-s they had an area where instead of the typical individual mats we are used to the entire area about 80 yards long was covered in mat material. It had the normal mat material for where you are standing but you were hitting your balls off of a different material that was just like hitting off of real grass. They had this material in two different lengths so you got the feel of taking a divot off of the fairway and then you could hit balls that felt just like you were hitting out of the first cut of rough. It was amazing. I don't know where you would get this material though.

This thing is also increadible. I have practiced off of one of these a coule of times. Its great practice.

asecure.techxpress.net_golfshoplive.com_images_uploads_pages_Image_Hill_20Shot_20Golf_about.

6. Pa Jayhawk

Pa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Not sure how much it is worth to you, but when I went to demo wedges at Golfmith they had the mats that give a little that I believe were either designed or just endorsed by Vijay. They do ease the impact and feel alot better. If you have a Golfsmith in your area, you may ask if they have them set up to try. They are Pretty expensive though at around $229. Not sure I would pay that amount, but from what little I used the one, I doubt I would be hesitant to hit my irons on them and worry about them hurting the loft or lie. Which I have simply refused to hit off mats in the past. May be cheaper to just buy a beater set or use clubs you have lying around.

Golfsmith.com: National Golf Products The Golf Mat - National golf products

7. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

Move to Florida or San Diego.

Duh.

8. Wi-Golfer

9. Pa Jayhawk

Actually I have a $20 one I picked up at Dicks and it works well for me as long as it is laying on a soft surface like turf.

The difference in the one I linked is that it has an air pocket below and is raised to simulate turf for things like fat shots and things. Here is a better link to show a little more (check the technology tab to see).
    the Golf Mat for Consumers - The Golf Mat by Vijay Singh

Again though, even though it plays different and more realistic it is entirely to much money for me. I believe this is the one I own and just lay it down on grass so that it will not alter the club lie or loft.
    Izzo 1 x 2 Chip and Drive Mat - Dick's Sporting Goods

I have a hard time believe the simulated rough will be of any benefit after having played on some of the simulators with such.

10. MIKE1218

MIKE1218 Top Bloke

I confirmed today that I have no options as to hitting balls this winter. The range I've always gone to was bought out by a competitor and they are liquifying everything and the range is closed. This competitor has a range, but I will not go there. Bad business practices; I really do not agree with the owner.

So I went and got a 3x4 mat from Dick's to use in the garage. Set up a net and put some extra carpeting underneath the mat and now I'm good to go. Can even swing a driver in there, but it will go through the net if I hit a ball.

11. Pa Jayhawk

Since you really are not concerned with distance or ball flight in a garage, you could try these.

Dave Pelz P-3 Practice Ball: Golf Equipment Pro Shop

You can usually find them at Dicks or any golf store. I have the mat and got the balls as part of getting the book damage control. I will probably just pick up the cheapest net I can find or something similar and do this during the winter. I have an old set I can use, although a 7w is about the longest club I can use because of our Garage door openers. Last year I would just swing with no ball and videotape. At least if it goes under the net it won't end up chasing you around the garage.

Although we also have a launchpad simulator that hooks up to the laptop for weekends. While not the most accurate, still more fun than the garage.
    http://www.electricspin.com/

edit 1 - Here is the review from a while back.
    http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-reviews/9594-electricspin-launchpad.html

12. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

I found a great deal on some quality mats on eBay back at the beginning of summer. Go look up this eBay store:

eBay Store - chipping mat: golf mat, driving mat, turf

They have some quality thick mats in several different sizes to meet almost any size/need. Thick enough so that your club will get caught up in it if you hit it fat. Supportive enough that you can stick a tee in it an avoid having to use one of those rubber tees. It is by far the best value in golf mats that I found when I was searching for one.

13. Wi-Golfer

Very nice, they look perfect.
    I was at Fleet Farm today & was looking at some plain rubber mats, these were maybe 3/4" thick & I was thinking they would work pretty well but be great if they were a bit thicker.

14. LongGolf

LongGolf Well-Known Member

I make a good mat that moves downward on springs, but it's only available in Europe unless you want to spend a fortune on shipping. One thing you can do, if you don't mind learning it, is to hit your irons off a short rubber tee in the evil mat and hold the clubface in the air behind the ball. This is better than hitting off a hard mat and comes in useful anyway.

15. Manavs

Manavs Bodybuilding Golf Pro

I remember seeing a mat that had a gel filled impact area at the pga show a few years ago at the tracman booth. i wish i remember the name.

16. LongGolf

LongGolf Well-Known Member

I saw one here too, but it was very expensive, very small in area, and had a kind of cloth fabric that seemed to be wearing out. Otherwise it worked.

17. Manavs

Manavs Bodybuilding Golf Pro