• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Projects??

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Also, I think I may really suck at installing golf shafts. When I was putting the grips on the heads made a cracking sound. Nothing crazy or too loud, but there was a little bit of a pop. Hopefully the heads don't go flying off the first time I go play.
Did you get the shafts installed with the correct end in the hosel?? The little end goes down and the big end goes up. :rolleyes:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Thanks Limp...that must be the problem!

Honestly, I experimented with the Devcon epoxy and those creaks worry me a bit.

Edit...quick internet search says it might be the ferrules. Time will tell. :/

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Thanks Limp...that must be the problem!

Honestly, I experimented with the Devcon epoxy and those creaks worry me a bit.

Edit...quick internet search says it might be the ferrules. Time will tell. :/
Might have to enlist the retired geezers help if that happens. I'm smart enough and humble enough to know when to call in reinforcements.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Might have to enlist the retired geezers help if that happens. I'm smart enough and humble enough to know when to call in reinforcements.

Don't worry about the creakers.................I had a set of Eye 2 irons (no ferrules) that I reshafted and they creaked a bit when I held the grip and torqued the head with a little twist. Somebody told me that could be air pockets. Bottom line is, the heads were on nice and tight and stayed that way. ;)

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

I just saw that you used DEVCON epoxy for home use. That stuff is not designed to break down under heat like shafting epoxy and I think it dries a little 'harder' than shafting epoxy. Just curious - why not use shafting epoxy? It's formulated for this kind of job.

Golf shaft epoxy has a much higher shear strength than general purpose epoxy. It isn't as brittle as general purpose epoxy when it cures so it takes the torque of the head hitting the ball better and there's much less of a chance of the epoxy bond cracking. The DEVCON stuff might take a LOT of heat to break down if you ever need to reshaft again.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I just saw that you used DEVCON epoxy for home use. That stuff is not designed to break down under heat like shafting epoxy and I think it dries a little 'harder' than shafting epoxy. Just curious - why not use shafting epoxy? It's formulated for this kind of job.

Golf shaft epoxy has a much higher shear strength than general purpose epoxy. It isn't as brittle as general purpose epoxy when it cures so it takes the torque of the head hitting the ball better and there's much less of a chance of the epoxy bond cracking. The DEVCON stuff might take a LOT of heat to break down if you ever need to reshaft again.
I've read (on another site) that the DEVCON 2 ton epoxy is a great alternative to typical shafting epoxy. No other reason than trying something different than the norm.

I'm hoping it's just bubbles or the ferrules creaking and not a failure. I don't have a home shop completely built at this point, so no vice, and I put grips on by bracing the club against the steps and sliding the griping using pressure. When I did that a few of the heads popped and creaked. I waited a full 24 hours, the cure time is 8-12 hours, so I hope the epoxy bond didn't crack.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
You should be fine, but just in case wear a helmet the first time you swing them.
Way ahead of you Greg!

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1452354201.202513.jpg

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Go to the driving range and have one of your buddies stand down range to catch the clubheads.

They'll be fine. Modern epoxy is serious shit.
Ha!!! Target practice.

Fingers crossed on the Devcon.

I can't wait to try these with the Nippons and No1's!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I shit you not the creaking was from the ferrules on the shafts. The only epoxy I used on them was the left over from the heads. I don't think it was enough.

At any rate I read online if you dip the heads and ferrules in soapy dawn water and rinse off, the soap will get between the ferrule and shaft and act as a lubricant and the water will evaporate.

So I gave this a shot and low and behold it worked. No more creak!!!

:D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.