• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Projects??

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Same here, but I want something more precise to get in between the pins. Something more rigid and double edged.
You should look into building a humidor or two. Not sure on the costs, but I know well built end table/cabinet style versions bring a nice price. Especially if you include, or set them up for, some of the higher end humidification systems. Shoot, even nice desktop versions can be expensive.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
You should look into building a humidor or two. Not sure on the costs, but I know well built end table/cabinet style versions bring a nice price. Especially if you include, or set them up for, some of the higher end humidification systems. Shoot, even nice desktop versions can be expensive.
Good idea.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Why not a coffee table? With books?

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1451515698.239361.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Got two new to me Griswold skillets...need to strip them and re-season...they're in the oven getting warmed up for a 2 hour clean cycle as we speak. Didn't get great deals on them...but fair price. I'll post pics once they're done uploading...

A large cross logo #8 flat bottom, and a small logo #5(i think...it's crusty).

I also bought a late model(80's ish) Wagner 11.75" pan...it's casting is pretty rough...but it's taking a nice seasoning. Fried some potatoes in it tonight and it was great.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
First my Wagner...Not bad for $20

The #8 Griswold - This is anywhere from 1920-1940 vintage - A little rust...hopefully the cooking surface isn't too pitted...we'll see once I get time to work on it.

The #6 Griswold - Small logo, this is somewhere closer to the 1950's...not as collectable as the large logo...but it's in much better shape...just a lot of crud on it to burn off.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've always wondered how a well seasoned cast iron skillet doesn't get rancid. You don't wash yours with soap, correct?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I take it those are good skillets?
Large logo Griswold or even before the large logo, basically anything before 1940 is highly collectible.

I'm not interested in collecting them, I'm going to use them. I like Griswolds because of the very nice smooth cooking surface. Higher resale value is somewhat on my mind...which is why I bought the #8 Griswold instead of a wagner that was in better shape today.

There are other not so well known brands as well that are just as nice...I keep my eye open for those as well as they're usually far cheaper than the Griswolds and the Wagners.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've always wondered how a well seasoned cast iron skillet doesn't get rancid. You don't wash yours with soap, correct?
The seasoning should be polymerized...which means it's on the verge of becoming carbonized...if all your seasoning is at that point, it shouldn't go rancid ever. That said, if you were going to store your CI for a long period of time, I would suggest coating them in a layer of peanut, canola, or olive oil(not extra virgin). Those oils won't go rancid.

I use both bacon grease and canola oil to season my pans. I use my pans enough, going rancid isn't an option.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The seasoning should be polymerized...which means it's on the verge of becoming carbonized...if all your seasoning is at that point, it shouldn't go rancid ever. That said, if you were going to store your CI for a long period of time, I would suggest coating them in a layer of peanut, canola, or olive oil(not extra virgin). Those oils won't go rancid.

I use both bacon grease and canola oil to season my pans. I use my pans enough, going rancid isn't an option.
Mineral oil seems like a good option for storing one. I have read that a cutting board will go rancid if you put cooking oils on it.

I have two cast irons and I don't use them much. One is a griddle type and I have used it once. I have scrubbed them with hot soapy water and I probably need to season them but I wasn't real sure how to do it. So they just sit in the cabinet.

Edit: I just checked, mine are made by Lodge. Not sure if they are good quality.

Last edited:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Mineral oil seems like a good option for storing one. I have read that a cutting board will go rancid if you put cooking oils on it.

I have two cast irons and I don't use them much. One is a griddle type and I have used it once. I have scrubbed them with hot soapy water and I probably need to season them but I wasn't real sure how to do it. So they just sit in the cabinet.

Edit: I just checked, mine are made by Lodge. Not sure if they are good quality.

Lodge is just fine. My largest and first skillet is a Lodge. 15" across...it's a beast...but cooks shit ton of bacon like a boss.

The problem with current production lodge is the finish, they are very rough. What I would do is put them in the oven and set the oven to self clean. When they come out, they will be bare cast iron. At this point, give them a good warm bath with soap. Then, get yourself some 120, 180, and 220 grit sand papers OR an angle grinder with some flapper wheels...but be careful, it's easy to make the finish wavy with the angle grinder.

Go at that cooking surface and smooth it out. Don't go much finer than 220, even 180 would be fine. Smoother than that and the seasoning won't stick.

After that, warm the peice up to 300 in the oven, wipe on your favorite cooking oil, then wipe it off. You want a VERY THIN layer of oil...back into the oven for 15 minutes, wipe it off agian. Then back into the oven at 400 for an hour or two. Turn oven off and let cool naturally. Repeat if you feel it's necessary however, cooking bacon a few times is another great way to season a new pan.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.