• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Projects??

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
The general contractor that built our house has become a pretty good friend and we got the BSing the other day and he mentioned one of his buddies plays golf and does club repair. He gave me his number and long story short is pulling the graphite shafts out of my irons and wedges for me.

For free.

Winning!!!

Well, heck, I woulda done that for ya. But you saved shipping costs. Next time, just ask. ;)

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I still don't know which route to take. I have a ton of different things I could use for a blade. I'm thinking maybe full tang but I need some pins. Brass would be ideal. Can't wait to get started.

I recently cabbaged a bunch of machinist stuff. We used to rent a space out that was a machine shop. They went out of business 2 yrs ago and left all kinds of stuff. Drill press vises, a small anvil, a bunch of carbide bits for a die grinder, lathe and mill. Got a bunch of round stock. Lots of aluminum(sheets, tubing, angle and round). A lot of odd and ends that will be useful. I was told that I could have what I wanted so I loaded up.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I am toying with the idea of building a set of single-length irons (5-W). The new Pinhawks are designed (weight, lie angle) to be built at a 7-iron length. I also heard a rumor that Tom Wishon might be coming out with an offering this year. Always wanted to try this interesting concept. One length, one lie angle, 5 degree loft increments, ball in same place in stance, same swing, every swing.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I am toying with the idea of building a set of single-length irons (5-W). The new Pinhawks are designed (weight, lie angle) to be built at a 7-iron length. I also heard a rumor that Tom Wishon might be coming out with an offering this year. Always wanted to try this interesting concept. One length, one lie angle, 5 degree loft increments, ball in same place in stance, same swing, every swing.
Do it! And report back your findings.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Do it! And report back your findings.

From Tom Wishon's forum - his reply on 2 SEP, 2015:

Final testing concluded last week on these and it is a go for 2016. Final tooling die work is commencing as we speak and in about a week I should have a forecast for the timing of completing everything. Best case scenario might be early Feb - hopefully the worst would be early March. We're going to do a #5 to gap wedge set with an option of either a 5 hybrid or a 5 iron and then irons down from there to the gap. 5 hybrid, 5 iron, 6 iron and 7 iron are high COR face design to help make up for a possible loss of distance from the shorter single length and high COR faces can launch the ball a little higher as well. Then conventional cast stainless cavity for the 8 to gap wedge. 4* loft gaps from 5 to 6 to 7 and then 5* gaps from 8 to 9 to PW to GW. our S2S iron shafts will be used with the heads so there are 5 choices of graphite iron shafts (Green, White, Black, Blue, Red) and two choices of steel (Superlite and Stepless) for fitting purposes. Clubmakers will have an option to do these in either 36.5, 36.75 or 37" as the single length - whatever they and the golfer are comfortable with.
TWW

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
From Tom Wishon's forum - his reply on 2 SEP, 2015:

Final testing concluded last week on these and it is a go for 2016. Final tooling die work is commencing as we speak and in about a week I should have a forecast for the timing of completing everything. Best case scenario might be early Feb - hopefully the worst would be early March. We're going to do a #5 to gap wedge set with an option of either a 5 hybrid or a 5 iron and then irons down from there to the gap. 5 hybrid, 5 iron, 6 iron and 7 iron are high COR face design to help make up for a possible loss of distance from the shorter single length and high COR faces can launch the ball a little higher as well. Then conventional cast stainless cavity for the 8 to gap wedge. 4* loft gaps from 5 to 6 to 7 and then 5* gaps from 8 to 9 to PW to GW. our S2S iron shafts will be used with the heads so there are 5 choices of graphite iron shafts (Green, White, Black, Blue, Red) and two choices of steel (Superlite and Stepless) for fitting purposes. Clubmakers will have an option to do these in either 36.5, 36.75 or 37" as the single length - whatever they and the golfer are comfortable with.
TWW
I love the concept!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Progress so far on my marking knife.
1451862300184.jpg
1451862327156.jpg
1451862363744.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I did some more shaping on the bench grinder before I hardened it.
1451862561539.jpg
I quenched in water.
Then came the hard part, flattening the bottom and sharpening. Took forever and I could've spent longer on it.
1451862682640.jpg

1451862759014.jpg

I used epoxy and some Milliput to stabilize the blade in the slot.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
1451863453849.jpg
I flattened and sharpened with this 1000 grit stone. Once the glue has dried I will finish the edge with 6000 grit. It won't be something that you will want to keep in your pocket.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts