1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Woods Inc.

Discussion in 'Golf Tournament Talk' started by IrishGolfer, Dec 18, 2020.

1. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

Wow! The mercury has risen in terms of interest in the father / son tournament this coming weekend. I just read a WITB post for Charlie Woods, Tiger's kid. He is 11!!! I've seen the swing and it is silky smooth, but what comes of this media intention?

I know the back story. Tiger was on TV at the age of 2. Earl turned him into a brand and he delivered. Kinda interesting to see how things work out for this kid. I'm sure he will finish school, but does a career in golf beckon? He doesn't need the cash, that's for sure. I get Eldrick will guide him in the right direction, but he has massive boots to fill.

An interesting aside on the tournament. It is for major winners only. Apparently, Paul Laurie (Open Champion in 1999) has applied several times to get into this with one of his two (professional golfer) sons, but to no avail. I guess there are circles within circles.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  2. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

United States United States
    Tiger hasn't 'needed' the money for a long time. If Charlie has the competitive spirit his father has, he will want to win regardless of the money.

3. IrishGolfer

I get that Eric, but what if he doesn't measure up to the shadow of his dad? It's a tough act to try and follow.

4. eclark53520

A blessing and a curse being the GOAT's son.

I'm guessing if he can't hack it, he fades back into ambiguity and lives off his father's fortune or maybe makes his own name in something else. If he has the drive and the passion, I think he can at least make a name for himself. Also, he will probably make it on TV every single shot he makes in a tournament regardless of how well he's doing... I mean, look at how much TV time Tiger gets even when he doesn't make the cut.

BigJim13 and Fairwaysplitter3320 like this.
  5. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

That 11 year old out drives me by at least 10-20 yards. He was just phenomenal on the course today. Got his first eagle on national TV.

6. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    He looks to be the real deal. Super impressed!

7. eclark53520

He's got some game. That's for sure.

8. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I watched the interview with Tiger after the round, it was actually all I saw if it. Gotta say this is a different Tiger than we’ve seen in the past, he got emotional talking about his son playing. He was also pretty adamant that they are going to do their best to keep him sheltered from the media. Obviously easier said than done given that I’m also seeing WITB posts for this 11 year old.

Hard to follow in the goats footsteps and only time will tell. I can’t think of any great father great son combos. There have been some good ones, Griffey’s, Bonds come to mind. I’d say part of it is the longing we will all feel once Tiger fades. Can you imagine the spotlight in this kid though if he does turn pro, holy hell!

9. IrishGolfer

I watched some of the golf yesterday and it looked like a relaxed fun event. Yes, for an 11-year-old kid he has some game and a lot of his dad's mannerisms, he was a little mini-me!! I've love to see him emerge and become a factor, but it happens very rarely. Lightning seldom strikes the same spot twice.

I was also impressed with Kuchar's kid, he seems promising.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and BigJim13 like this.
  10. ualtim

Well, Tiger Inc. is losing it’s CEO again due to back surgery. Could be out a few months putting his best chance to catch Jack in jeopardy. Possibly another missed Master’s and the USOpen at Torrey Pines (two of his best courses) will make it hard to reach 18.

Apparently, Tiger’s back is a ticking time bomb and he never knows which swing could be his last. Master’s 2019 may end up being his final major.

IrishGolfer likes this.
  11. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    I hope not, hope he comes back strong!

IrishGolfer and BigJim13 like this.
  12. ualtim

I just hope he stops before he permanently damages his back. This will be his 5th back surgery, and only a temporary repair at best. Maybe it’s time to sit back and enjoy watching his kids grow up.

IrishGolfer likes this.
  13. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

^^^This^^^ No sport is worth never walking right again, never picking up your kid or grandkid, etc

IrishGolfer likes this.