• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Work to transform swing - Danger Alert!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
SPOILER ALERT - THIS COULD ALTER YOUR MIND!

Wow. I went for an impromptu lesson last night and have now seen the light!

I was in Derry (about 30 miles from me) for a meeting yesterday and had a couple of hours to kill last night so decided to go to a driving range. I was chatting to the pro and he said he was free to give a lesson and would give me 60 mins for the price of 30mins so I thought why not.

To begin with he got me to hit a bunch of 7 irons, 3 woods and drivers and got them all on video. I hit a few decent shots and a few poor shots, I wasn’t really fully warmed up.

Once he got me on his software he picked up on a bunch of faults that add up to me have a very shallow swing and a lot of lateral / head movement, sliding my hips, flipping my hands etc. I know all this, I just never been able to figure out what to do about it.

He said he appreciated that I was a decent player but I relied on good timing to hit good shots. My poor shots, blocks and hooks are typical of a shallow 2-plane swing. He said the 3 wood would be the hardest shot for me to get airborne as I’m not compressing the ball properly. Yip, that’s me.

So apparently these two planes correspond to my shoulders and arms at the top of the backswing. I over-rotate my shoulders and my right elbow flies a bit. My spine is tilted away from the ball at address, he used the term reverse K which means I have to rely on exceptional timing to get it all back through the swing.

His solution? He wants to get me to steepen my swing and move to a one plane swing and to do so would require a number of changes.

1st lesson: objective is to keep spine straight throughout the shot.
  • Narrow my stance by about 30%
  • Instead of cocking in my knees, to do the opposite. Picture a beachball between my knees.
  • Level my shoulders. So instead of having my left shoulder higher at address, it is now neutral.
  • 70% of weight on my left side throughout the swing. This is a massive change for me as I’ve always believed it to be the complete opposite.
  • On the take-away drop the left shoulder to point about three feet beyond my target ball. And keeping my head rock steady. I found this the hardest. He had a club at my head and it took me several attempts to avoid hitting it.
So I hit a lot of half wedges and slowly got comfortable with the new set-up / swing. It certainly is contrary to a lot of stuff I have previously thought, but I did notice that I was compressing the ball a lot better.

Afterwards I went to the range and decided to hit more shots, including the 7 iron, 3 wood and driver. I hit some poor shots but I also hit some stunning shots, enough to really get my interest. I was crushing the three wood, a very good sign. It’s still early to try this but I couldn’t resist.

I think this guy is onto something revolutionary (for me!). He said he is not going to get me more speed but by compressing the ball I will get better distance, flight and a lot more consistency. It’s going to take a few more lessons, especially working on the rotation element to the swing, taking out my hip slide, but I have a good work plan over the next few weeks to weave the set-up into my swing. It will happen in stages and it’s a good time to work on it over the winter.

This is more of a note to myself, but happy to share with anyone else that’s interested.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
That is basically how I setup. Not much for big distance but works great for scoring. Solid contact in the center of the clubface is way more critical to me than clubhead speed. Thanks for sharing!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
How could you possibly have your spine tilted away from the ball at any point? That's pretty much impossible if he's referencing vertical...unless you're literally bending over backwards...Even Charles Barkley doesn't do that...

Could you explain that part more?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
How could you possibly have your spine tilted away from the ball at any point? That's pretty much impossible if he's referencing vertical...unless you're literally bending over backwards...Even Charles Barkley doesn't do that...

I assumed he meant leaning away from target......to the right for a right handed.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I assumed he meant leaning away from target......to the right for a right handed.
That would make a lot more sense.

The biggest 'A-HA' moment I ever had was watching a YouTube video that told me to 'rotate around your spine' and I had heard that before, but how they showed it really clicked in my mind. I went to the range the next day on lunch and it was like I had found the holy grail. I went from super inconsistent shots, some fat, some thin, some heal, some toe, to fairly consistent ball flight and contact.

I'm still no good golfer....but that made a massive difference in my golf game.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK, he printed this out for me. Differences are subtle. My target is to create a vertical line as per set-up on right, and not at an angle as per set-up on left. Strange thing is that I like the look of the set-up on the left better. But it gets ugly after that, everything moves, even my bowels!

Attachments

• SwingOct15.jpg
    SwingOct15.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 112

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country

It's exactly what I do, narrower stance by a bit, shorten my swing, and focus on contact not power

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
He mentioned Stack and Tile, but my eyes glazed over. It sounds too much like DIY.
This shit seems to work through, for me anyway. What's exciting is that it will stop my head moving and me sliding. So now I understand the principles, despite the fact that it goes against my instinct, I'm happy to play it through to see what the results could be. I've been fighting consistency for ages now.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The biggest 'A-HA' moment I ever had was watching a YouTube video that told me to 'rotate around your spine' and I had heard that before, but how they showed it really clicked in my mind. I went to the range the next day on lunch and it was like I had found the holy grail. I went from super inconsistent shots, some fat, some thin, some heal, some toe, to fairly consistent ball flight and contact.

I'm still no good golfer....but that made a massive difference in my golf game.

My teaching pro emphasises this. [emoji106]

Aren't these some of the Stack And Tilt principles?

I started to smell stack and tilt also.

He mentioned Stack and Tile, but my eyes glazed over. It sounds too much like DIY.
This shit seems to work through, for me anyway. What's exciting is that it will stop my head moving and me sliding. So now I understand the principles, despite the fact that it goes against my instinct, I'm happy to play it through to see what the results could be. I've been fighting consistency for ages now.

IG, I'll be interested in your journey. Some of what you've described seems to be at odds with my teaching pro.

He emphasises a relatively flatter swing to pick the ball off the turf. He says that a flatter swing will get the right compression at impact rather than the inconsistency of a steep swing slamming down on the ball into the turf. A flatter swing promotes consistent strikes, in his book.

How flat was your swing?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
My teaching pro emphasises this. [emoji106]

I started to smell stack and tilt also.

IG, I'll be interested in your journey. Some of what you've described seems to be at odds with my teaching pro.

He emphasises a relatively flatter swing to pick the ball off the turf. He says that a flatter swing will get the right compression at impact rather than the inconsistency of a steep swing slamming down on the ball into the turf. A flatter swing promotes consistent strikes, in his book.

How flat was your swing?

I don't thing I was massive flat. It was move the lateral sway back, meaning I was manipulating everything to get back to the ball, meaning I was coming in shallow. I think it is more the two plane gig to one plane.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.