• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Work to transform swing - Danger Alert!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Man it was a beautiful week-end with almost zero breeze. A great few days to play golf. I played Saturday with my 'new swing'. Scored 34 stable-ford points (40 / 40), so it was not the fairy-tale I'd hoped for. But there were a lot of good shots in there. My putter could have helped me more, so overall I'm happy to persist. In fact I hit a lot of balls on the range on Sunday to the point where my back was going to seize up. I'm using muscles that I haven't used before. I definitely feel like I am compressing the ball a lot more. It's still early days but keeping my head steady and rotating round my spine while trying to stay on my left side are delivering positive results.

I will continue down this road.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'll get some video next time I'm back to see him. He should have the old on file (X-rated!!)

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK, some lab work at the range last night. I've hit a lot of balls since last week mostly with a wedge, trying to groove the feeling of the above changes. Last night I was trying to hit 3 woods and struggled a bit with consistency. Frustrated I started moving the ball position around a bit. At one point I decided to stand closer to the ball. Initially I felt like I was way too close, crowding myself but it made me stand more upright and certainly felt steeper to the ball.

Bang! I hit about half a dozen of the sweetest three woods in a row, lovely flight, good distance and arrow straight. I think I was possibly too far away and reaching a little for the ball. I will continue with my trials and tribulations. But this is positive stuff.

Last edited:
OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Good session at the range last night. Feel that the swing changes are starting to bed in. Going to give it a few more weeks and then get another lesson. I played on Saturday and hit my driver terribly. Last night I struck a succession of beautifully flighted bombs with the very same driver. Go figure!!

On Saturday I was playing with three bombers (all low index players) so maybe I was trying to keep up. Don't know but last night I was swinging within myself and bang! Confidence is a big thing. More range sessions = more confidence.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
OK, he printed this out for me. Differences are subtle. My target is to create a vertical line as per set-up on right, and not at an angle as per set-up on left. Strange thing is that I like the look of the set-up on the left better. But it gets ugly after that, everything moves, even my bowels!
I tried the setup on the right the early part of the summer. Went back to the left pic for the rest. I'm not sold on that.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
OK, some lab work at the range last night. I've hit a lot of balls since last week mostly with a wedge, trying to groove the feeling of the above changes. Last night I was trying to hit 3 woods and struggled a bit with consistency. Frustrated I started moving the ball position around a bit. At one point I decided to stand closer to the ball. Initially I felt like I was way too close, crowding myself but it made me stand more upright and certainly felt steeper to the ball.

Bang! I hit about half a dozen of the sweetest three woods in a row, lovely flight, good distance and arrow straight. I think I was possibly too far away and reaching a little for the ball. I will continue with my trials and tribulations. But this is positive stuff.
I did this exact same thing also this summer with good results.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Had a nightmare on Saturday, couldn't get the ball off the tee at all. Kept hitting low pull hooks about 150 yards. I got very frustrated indeed. One of my playing partners said I was very quick and not completing my backswing, which got me thinking. It was knawing away at me most of the weekend, so I sneaked off the range last night. There was not a sinner there on a perfect evening, not a breath of breeze. Perfect lab conditions.

I got warmed up and then started onto the driver, same old thing, low fast hooks. Hate this fxxxing game!! I had to walk away and have a think about life and what the hell I was trying to do. I was one more poor drive away from getting in the car and going home. I even went and grabbed another driver, Callaway Razr.

In hindsight I think I have been swinging faster in an attempt to get more distance. But I'm way too quick at the top in my transition and I'm implode all power and collapse out of sync when I get to the ball. So I made a deliberate effort to slow down my takeaway, make as full a turn as I can and then pause at the top. At that point once fully loaded then to start my downswing and swing through accelerating onto the ball. Wow, instant transformation!!

I set myself a narrow target between two poles at the end of the range and hit 7 out of 10 good drives, right down the pipe. I hit one out of the heel / sole and two big high hooks but ZERO low pull hooks.

I must have hit 50 drives, never done that and my back was toast, but this is my Achilles heel right now as everything else is pretty good. Anyway I chose to leave on a high after smacking my last ball perfectly. Happy!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Had a nightmare on Saturday, couldn't get the ball off the tee at all. Kept hitting low pull hooks about 150 yards. I got very frustrated indeed. One of my playing partners said I was very quick and not completing my backswing, which got me thinking. It was knawing away at me most of the weekend, so I sneaked off the range last night. There was not a sinner there on a perfect evening, not a breath of breeze. Perfect lab conditions.

I got warmed up and then started onto the driver, same old thing, low fast hooks. Hate this fxxxing game!! I had to walk away and have a think about life and what the hell I was trying to do. I was one more poor drive away from getting in the car and going home. I even went and grabbed another driver, Callaway Razr.

In hindsight I think I have been swinging faster in an attempt to get more distance. But I'm way too quick at the top in my transition and I'm implode all power and collapse out of sync when I get to the ball. So I made a deliberate effort to slow down my takeaway, make as full a turn as I can and then pause at the top. At that point once fully loaded then to start my downswing and swing through accelerating onto the ball. Wow, instant transformation!!

I set myself a narrow target between two poles at the end of the range and hit 7 out of 10 good drives, right down the pipe. I hit one out of the heel / sole and two big high hooks but ZERO low pull hooks.

I must have hit 50 drives, never done that and my back was toast, but this is my Achilles heel right now as everything else is pretty good. Anyway I chose to leave on a high after smacking my last ball perfectly. Happy!!
Retooling ones swing can do that. The hardest 6" on the golf course are between your ears.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Cheers dude. For a second I thought you were going to say "between my legs". Oops, another site I guess!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Best range session in a long time last night. I really think I've found something recently with my swing changes and I cant wait to get out on the course again. My primary focus was to make a slow deliberate wide backswing focusing on maximising my shoulder turn. I deliberately tried to pause at the top of my swing and then started down slowly.

I was knocking out these beautifully flighted baby draws down the middle. I hit the odd push and pull hook but 80% were perfect. I wish I could just "bank" that swing.

The pause thing was interesting as it seems counter-intuitive to creating speed, but it does help me load my swing and create coil which enables me to generate speed coming into the ball.

Too bad it's now end of season / winter. Gotta work on my fitness / strengthening now for next year.

🔥 Latest posts