1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst Courses Played?

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by lamebums, Jul 4, 2007.

1. lamebums

lamebums 300 yards into the woods.

Just something I thought I'd add, as well, here. Tell everyone about the goat farms, billy tracks, and mine fields that you've played golf in your life - or even if it loosely resembles a golf course!

For me, it would have to be Meadowood Golf Course, in Burlington, KY. 6 or 7 years ago, my father's company did some blacktop work there, so they gave us free golf for the rest of the year. It was my first true attempt at golf, and I obviously didn't know any better. You pay for what you get (only $11 on weekdays - great deal), but the place has really gone downhill in the past few years.

The first, second, third, and ninth fairways all run parallel to each other, which means you're better off wearing a helmet, because errant balls will wind up two fairways over, and most of the people there have little to no etiquette. The back nine was sold a few years ago and turned into condos, whose owners can't care less about golf. Deep cabbage and the remnants of construction line the right side of the third fairway, and the fifth hole is a drivable par 5, if you cut the corner over the tree seedlings. The fairways are almost indistinguishable from the rough, and the greens stimp to what, a 2 or 3. It's cut to fairway height at a nicer course, basically.

The pro shop has almost nothing to display, except a few boxes of Top Flites and Wilsons from last year. The bar used to be a nice operation, run by one of my father's buddies, in fact - but they ran him out, and no one's back there anymore. Senior leagues still play there - and it's because of those leagues I don't want to play there anymore. It takes four friggen hours to play nine holes, and they don't let anyone through.

I still go there occasionally, because it's cheap and my buddies like the course (it's easy to post a low score there), but by and large, I try to avoid it. It's a shame the place has gone downhill in the last few years, but with half a million dollars worth of renovation, it could be the place to spend an afternoon.

2. BStone

BStone PGA Class A Professional Supporting Member

United States United States
    The course that I played today is quite possibly one of the worst that I have ever seen/played. It has some sentimental value as it was where I played my first round. They still have two holes on every green and you are told to put the flag in the other hole when you get to the greens. I chipped into the "wrong" hole today since it was directly between the hole that was in play and my ball in the fringe.

3. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

Some "no name" nine hole course south of Hendersonville, NC. It had railroad tracks through one fairway, an old trailer house for a clubhouse, and sssmokin fell through what appeared to be grass chest deep in mud (he he). And we had to wait for the train. All the good courses were booked up and we found this ragweed layout. :D

Ask sssmokin about Marls Lake Farm course by Wautoma... :D

4. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The worst course I have ever played is a private club here in Birmingham called Heatherwood. It is still open today.

Is the course in good shape? Heavens yes...fine bentgrass greens maintained well.

So what's wrong with it? It is on extremely ruggged terrain with the tightest fairways I have ever played. And what's on the edge of the fairway? Rough??? Nope Dense Woods. Any shot out of the fairway is most likely lost...

There is a very interesting par 5 that needs to be played like this:
    1) 5 iron off the tee to a tight dogleg position.
    2) 8 iron uphill to another tight dogleg position
    3) Wedge to green that is so elevated you cannot even see the top of the flag.

Yup - that's a par 5.

I can't believe this place is even open. It has nice homes around it too....

They even have a website and a nice pool. Nobody I know around here would set foot on that place. Bring shag balls to play with.

Diamond Clubs Management

Just to show you how badly private clubs here struggle now due to all of the fine public golf - this one company operates all three of these private clubs and none of them thrive...

5. Bama Duffer

Bama Duffer Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's the worst, but it's the worst I can remember. Mimosa "Country Club" in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Haven't played it since I graduated law school in 1985. I came across a note on the Internet saying it is now closed (Mimosa, not the UA School of Law) and is reopening soon as the Links of Tuscaloosa.

Here are a few on-line reviews I found of Mimosa. The negatives:

"This is our worst course!!! It's run down, cheap, and you need a 4-wheeler instead of a cart!"

"I really don't know where to start, but this is quite possibly the worst golf course in the continental United States. Some Tee boxes are marked with plastic cups, while others you can't find because they are covered in weeds. ALso the course is out in the middle of no where. I didn't venture off the fairways because I was afraid I might have a unfortunate "Deliverance" experience with one of the locals. You might have a better golfing experience by going to walmart grabbing some wiffle golf balls and a six pack of the high-life and hitting in your back yard, instead of venturing to this AAA Trailer Park and golf resort."

That's pretty much what I remember. Here are out-takes from the positive reviews:

"i say go to mimosa no tee times required and we all get along,"

"Don't look for country club detail and you'll love it."

"this course is better than sitting in a hotel room for the traveler."

I think they'll put the last one in their slogan: "Play Mimosa. It's better than sitting in a hotel room." :laugh:

6. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

7. socalkid18

socalkid18 Pee Wee champ

I have to say the worst golf course I have played while living here in Utah has to be Stonderidge Golf Course. My buddy and I went there on Monday and they had rocks on the green and the course looked like it had not seen water for a long time.

8. JamesR

JamesR Interlocking Now

Peter Jans Community Golf Course

Yuck!!

A few times the flagsticks were stolen, and they used broomsticks.

Bunkers with gravel instead of sand

and two tunnels filled with grafitti when you walk from hole to hole.

May make for a scary twilight round, last year I "stepped" into "Latin Cobras'" territory.

9. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

I looked at the Satellite photo of the "course" and saw a semi-green blob with nothing that looked like a defined green, sandwiched between two highways. Did the wind from the passing semis blow your ball offline?

What a dump.

10. sssmokin

sssmokin Retired and loving it Supporting Member

Marl-Links GC outside of Wautoma WI near (where else?) Marl Lake. Just tees and greens and woods and fields in between. Tees and greens are the worst ever created. But it's CHEAP to play!!!!:laugh:

11. WMitch6

WMitch6 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt Cobbs Creek in Philly in the mid 90's. I don't know what it's like now, but it was a grand old course that had fallen on hard times. Burnt fairways and greens and tee boxes so hard and dried up we had to pound the tees with an iron.

Pins were pulled at sunset to keep them from being stolen and the clubhouse warned players to be off the course before dark. Apparently, muggings were pretty common.

12. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

Yeah, that sounds about. The worst part was the people I played with were just aweful, stuck up, and even weren't that great of golfers.

13. jmhunter

jmhunter Well-Known Member

Monterey pines is the cheapest golf on the monterey peninsula for a reason, situated at the end of the MRY airport runway, this Navy golf facility can be played for 17 bucks after 2pm.. its just extremely poorly cared for.

14. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

HA! That was the course I learned on in the early 1960's. No exaggeration, I used to kneel down and hammer the tee into the ground with the heel of my club, not a blade of grass to be seen. In those days, it was $3.00 per round, and it was a pretty setting otherwise. In the 1930's, I have been told, the course was considered a very nice place and hosted tournaments. Though I live in California now, it is my understanding that they have made the course nice again... And raised the green fees. Right on the border of Upper Darby, correct?

anonymous golfaholic likes this.
  15. WWBDD

WWBDD Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Canada Canada
    http://alainsandgolfclub.blogspot.ca/p/where-will-this-be.html

16. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Holy necro, zombie man!

17. William Tipton

William Tipton Active Member

National Road Golf Course outside West Jefferson, Ohio.
    Big field with a few trees, no sand, little water, no personality whatsoever.

18. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Lol 2007? Wow,

Anyway, windy acres outside Monroe wi is horrible. Some really cool hole layouts, but its just horribly maintained.

19. J.P.C.

J.P.C. Well-Known Member

South Africa South Africa
    well, since this thread has been saved from archives, worse course i've ever played was Alexandria - green must be cement and painted green! played a PW in, bounced off like a golf ball landed in the middle of the street!:eek:

played short from then on, only took 3 holes to figure playing short was the only way to reach the green from the fairway and not back in the woods trying to recover...:(

20. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    I'll play along, too... North LasVegas Muni.

It's probably not even there anymore, but it was a lighted par-3 in the heart of the ghetto. I remember the tee boxes were driving mats that had actual divots in them and the greens were 70% sand, 20% grass-like substance, and 10% human excretions.