• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst range session ever....ugh...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
it's because it's close to canada.

Rrrrriiiiigggghhhhtttt.

To be fair, I compared it to the educational systems of New Mexico and California, it was bound to win.

But we are getting off topic. Read my last post on the last page newbs!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm not from VT, I just choose to live here because this place kicks ass.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
on the topic of cell phones...

A man was at the country club for his weekly round of golf. He began
his round with an eagle on the first hole and a birdie on the
second.

On the third hole he had just scored his first ever hole-in-one when
his cell phone rang. It was a doctor notifying him that his wife
had just been in a terrible accident and was in critical condition
and in the ICU.

The man told the doctor to inform his wife where he was and that the
he'd be there as soon as possible. As he hung up he realized he was
leaving what was shaping up to be his best ever round of golf. He
decided to get in a couple of more holes before heading to the hospital.

He ended up playing all eighteen, finishing his round shooting a
personal best 61, shattering the club record by five strokes and
beating his previous best game by more than 10. He was jubilant....
then he remembered his wife.

Feeling guilty he dashed to the hospital. He saw the doctor in the
corridor and asked about his wife's condition.

The doctor glared at him and shouted, "You went ahead and finished
your round of golf didn't you!

"I hope you're proud of yourself! While you were out for the past
four hours enjoying yourself at the country club your wife has been
languishing in the ICU! It's just as well you went ahead and
finished that round because it will be more than likely your last!"
"For the rest of her life she will require 'round the clock care.
And you'll be her care giver!"

The man was feeling so guilty he broke down and sobbed ....

The doctor snickered and said, "Just messing with you. She's dead.

What'd you shoot?"

:laugh:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
It's just like courses like LyleG's that have a seemingly intolerant snobbish attitude. I'll avoid the course, and play one just as good with decent people. Shoot, some of the nicest people, who allowed denim, and didn't mind that I had my cell on, were at the Robert Trent Jones course in Enterprise.

I just can't stand complete intolerance, it seems arrogant.

This seems completely unwarranted Jeff.

You have never met a single member at this course yet you choose to label them, based on, of all things a cell phone policy. The membership here is made up of very good people. In fact they are some of the nicest, most welcoming, generous people I have ever met. Not that it matters, but denim is perfectly fine here.
Back in 1990 next to no one had cell phones. Yet, people still played golf and got on fine without them. No one here complains about the policy at all, in fact it is welcomed. People come here to play golf, and to socialize with other members, not listen to phones ring.
So next time you choose to make blanket statements about people you have never met at place you have never been, you may want to reconsider and realize there are many things more important than a being allowed to carry your stupid cell phone.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Yep, perfect.

You will never convince me otherwise.

Ask DaveE to tell the story of my arrival to Austin. I felt completely out of sorts being the only one of 200 on the plane that didn't IMMEDIATELY check my phone for mail, messages or the like.

It'll be the day that I'm in that dire need that I need a cell phone 24/7. You can't be the center of the universe to a degree that you can't get away from it all for 4 hours?

Nice life. No thanks.

R35

Yep, it seems like everyone here has one and uses them constantly.

As far as having it on the course goes, I always do. I'm self employed and missing a call can be a big deal for me. I do keep it on vibrate though so nobody but me knows if I get a call and it doesn't happen that often.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

You have never met a single member at this course yet you choose to label them, based on, of all things a cell phone policy. The membership here is made up of very good people. In fact they are some of the nicest, most welcoming, generous people I have ever met. Not that it matters, but denim is perfectly fine here.
Back in 1990 next to no one had cell phones. Yet, people still played golf and got on fine without them. No one here complains about the policy at all, in fact it is welcomed. People come here to play golf, and to socialize with other members, not listen to phones ring.
So next time you choose to make blanket statements about people you have never met at place you have never been, you may want to reconsider and realize there are many things more important than a being allowed to carry your stupid cell phone.

I think Jeff was labelling the club rule as arrogant, not necessarily the membership.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I think Jeff was labelling the club rule as arrogant, not necessarily the membership.

The membership voted the rule in, so they are one in the same.

For the record, I am also self employed currently owning 2 businesses. I also routinely play with an accountant, and an eye doctor. We all seem to get along just fine without out phones for 4 hours. After the round, you run to your car, check if you have any messages, return a few calls. Then you come back in, and have a few beers.

I really dont see any problem and quite frankly am very surprised at the amount of people who appear tethered to their phones. As Rock said, I find that very sad.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Hahaha. No, I totally understand for people who are on their cell phones a decent bit out on the course. If you have that many calls, stay off.

But one or two calls, especially in different situations, is fine by me.

The problem is, it's all or nothing. I'd rather err on the side of tolerance, but that's just my style.

i agree...

one or two calls, maybe the kids need a ride to somewhere, or your wife needs to ask you to stop by the store, and not lollygag at the 19th hole...

and definately dont hit shots with your cell on your ear... i have seen people chip and putt with their cell on their ear, or even worse, put their Blackberry/treo on speakerphone and set it down by the tee, hit their shot and act like they never left the conference call...

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
The membership voted the rule in, so they are one in the same.

For the record, I am also self employed currently owning 2 businesses. I also routinely play with an accountant, and an eye doctor. We all seem to get along just fine without out phones for 4 hours. After the round, you run to your car, check if you have any messages, return a few calls. Then you come back in, and have a few beers.

I really dont see any problem and quite frankly am very surprised at the amount of people who appear tethered to their phones. As Rock said, I find that very sad.

i frankly couldnt imagine life without a cell phone... i need it to call, not just for fun and to chat, but in semi-emergencies...

as both jeff and i have stated, we rarely if ever will make a call on the cell on the course, and i depending on the caller and situation, i sometimes wont answer it.. but its nice to have it on.. but only on vibe, or a very very quiet ring, quiet enough to only hear while messing around in pockets....

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
i need it to call, not just for fun and to chat, but in semi-emergencies...

My cell phone is they only phone line for both my businesses. I would say less than 1% of the call I receive on it are for anything other than business. My message simply says I will be away from my phone for about 4 hours, I will return you call as soon as I get back.

In the event of a true emergency someone can call the pro shop who can stop me at the turn or send a cart out on the course. You would be surprised at how few emergencies their truly are.

I would also guess that under certain circumstances, like a person who wife is due any day, that an exception would be made. These situations are quite rare however, and I have yet to see anyone with a phone of the course.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
one or two calls, maybe the kids need a ride to somewhere, or your wife needs to ask you to stop by the store, and not lollygag at the 19th hole...

Those calls couldn't be taken care of when you put your bag in your car after the round? That is why they created voicemail. If my wife is not working, I will call her after I get off the course to see if she needs anything on my way home. I do not need that information on the 12th tee box.

Could someone define semi-emergency for me? I was under the impression that either it is or is not an emergency. Either you need to respond immediately or you don't.

I wish there were more clubs like Lyle's. In the event of an emergency contact the club and they will come get you.

Has anyone ever left the golf course due to a phone call? I think I will start a poll.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

Hmmm, perhaps I should have said intolerant, and I find intolerance usually stems from arrogance. My apologies.

I find it difficult to associate technological advancements with golf, saying, "Well they used to..." The bottom line is, it is here, it is helpful, and for some of us, incredibly useful.

I go to the movie theater, they always say, silence your cell phones. Not turn them off, but silence them, vibrate, whatever. I think this rule would be fairly applicable to a golf course. If you need to have it on, and I sincerely believe that some people do, then have it on, with courtesy.

My point is, your golf club has absolutely no tolerance. You boast that some come anyway, but how many do not? How many, like myself, find the rule off-putting?

All your argument is based off of status, hearsay rules, and loose connections. Mine is simply saying, I tolerate that people do, and go through things, that I do not understand. I am one of those people regarding you. To show such intolerance to someone's life outside a golf course, and that, whether you like it or not, the two can, and do, coexist, is absurd and offensive. I am only thankful that I do not have to tolerate such policies that to an outsider, seem offensive.

If you question my seriousness to golf, and my dedication to it, I'd love to play a round with you, not that in reality I need to, to prove that I am just as much, if not more, committed to this game as yourself and your precious club.

Oh, and some of the nicest, welcoming people? That's a hypocritical statement in the intolerant nature of your rule. But perhaps they are warm and welcoming to you specifically, because you are like them.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Those calls couldn't be taken care of when you put your bag in your car after the round? That is why they created voicemail. If my wife is not working, I will call her after I get off the course to see if she needs anything on my way home. I do not need that information on the 12th tee box.

Could someone define semi-emergency for me? I was under the impression that either it is or is not an emergency. Either you need to respond immediately or you don't.

I wish there were more clubs like Lyle's. In the event of an emergency contact the club and they will come get you.

Has anyone ever left the golf course due to a phone call? I think I will start a poll.

You seem rather negligent to the fact that not every golfer out there is a self-sustaining adult. There are minors out there, reliant on their folks, and sometimes need to inform their parents of things while out there.

I have left the golf course due to a phone call, as I will post in your other thread. My mother called me, needed a ride to the doctor, and I was the closest person. Mind you this was completely unscheduled and in the middle of my front nine.

Perhaps I should have wait another 3 or 4 hours to get her to the hospital?

🔥 Latest posts