• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Yes or No: Is the Players the Fifth Major?

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
IS THE PLAYERS THE FIFTH MAJOR?

No, not to me. Yes, I'm middle-aged. Yes, I tend to be a golf traditionalist. But no, the Players is not the fifth major. It just doesn't have that major feel, those special major qualities.

Others see it differently.

Listen to the anecdote Sports Illustrated's Michael Bamberger tells in the above video. And surprise, surprise, Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee is on the fifth-major bandwagon.

While discussing the famous par-3 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass with Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo and Tommy Roy during today's media conference call, here's what Chamblee said
BRANDEL CHAMBLEE: I really do think this tournament should be a major. I absolutely think this tournament should be a major. I think one of the things that keeps it from really getting its due is the 17th hole. If you look at the way Augusta National or the Masters become a major, it grew into a major organically. There was a reverence there, an awe there, and over a period of time, people looked at it and went, this is a major. You can't deny the quality of the people and the quality of this golf course. But there's a contrived part of that 17th hole that makes it great TV; that makes it great drama; that I think just makes the feel of the golf course quirky. The rest of the golf course is fabulous. But, like Johnny, I love watching it as an analyst.​
Interesting. What do you think?

afeeds_feedburner_com__ff_ArmchairGolfBlog_90875f527880786621fd034e7fa2f873._.gif

Source: Yes or No: Is the Players the Fifth Major?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
No. IMO, The Players shouldn't even be nicknamed the 5th Major. Who the hell declared that anyway? Some Sports Illustrated writer?

It's a great tournament and I enjoy watching it though.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
No. IMO, The Players shouldn't even be nicknamed the 5th Major. Who the hell declared that anyway? Some Sports Illustrated writer?

It's a great tournament and I enjoy watching it though.
Pretty sure it was the PGA Tour pushing the 5th major deal since its their "major" that they don't split with anybody else, ie USGA, R&A, PGA of America and ANGC.

And no, not a Major. For me on par with a WGC event, maybe a bit higher.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
No, I don't see it as one.

By the same token, I have trouble considering the PGA a major. It just doesn't hold the interest for me that the other 3 hold.

Frankly, I could see a case being made to replace the PGA with The Players.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
No. It's just a tournament with an exceptional field and exceptional benefits for the winner.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

By the same token, I have trouble considering the PGA a major. It just doesn't hold the interest for me that the other 3 hold.

Ill agree with this.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
If I can use the college basketball analogy I would call it a mid major. I would put it the same class as the WGC events and a few of the regular PGA events like Bay Hill.

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
IS THE PLAYERS THE FIFTH MAJOR?

No, not to me. Yes, I'm middle-aged. Yes, I tend to be a golf traditionalist. But no, the Players is not the fifth major. It just doesn't have that major feel, those special major qualities.

Others see it differently.

Listen to the anecdote Sports Illustrated's Michael Bamberger tells in the above video. And surprise, surprise, Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee is on the fifth-major bandwagon.

While discussing the famous par-3 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass with Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo and Tommy Roy during today's media conference call, here's what Chamblee said
BRANDEL CHAMBLEE: I really do think this tournament should be a major. I absolutely think this tournament should be a major. I think one of the things that keeps it from really getting its due is the 17th hole. If you look at the way Augusta National or the Masters become a major, it grew into a major organically. There was a reverence there, an awe there, and over a period of time, people looked at it and went, this is a major. You can't deny the quality of the people and the quality of this golf course. But there's a contrived part of that 17th hole that makes it great TV; that makes it great drama; that I think just makes the feel of the golf course quirky. The rest of the golf course is fabulous. But, like Johnny, I love watching it as an analyst.​
Interesting. What do you think?

afeeds_feedburner_com__ff_ArmchairGolfBlog_90875f527880786621fd034e7fa2f873._.gif

Source: Yes or No: Is the Players the Fifth Major?
What do I think? I think Brandel is a first-class enema bag.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I disagree on the PGA. In the last 4-5 years that major has become the most exciting to watch, on par with the Masters.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
The FedEx Cup points system:

500 - "Regular" TOUR event winner
550 - WGC event winner
600 - Major tournament winner
600 - The Players winner

(not that the FedEx Cup folks are the authority on the subject, but we know where they stand.)

Also, ask Sergio Garcia if he thinks the Players should be a major. :D

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The FedEx Cup points system:

500 - "Regular" TOUR event winner
550 - WGC event winner
600 - Major tournament winner
600 - The Players winner

(not that the FedEx Cup folks are the authority on the subject, but we know where they stand.)

Also, ask Sergio Garcia if he thinks the Players should be a major. :D
Fed Ex is just the sponsor, they don't come up with the points. I believe the PGA Tour does, hence why the Players is equal to Majors.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah so to me the money is the end all. Its paying what compared to what?
NOt sure what you are asking. I meant the PGA Tour sets the points for the Fed Ex cup. The PGA Tour wants us to think of the Players as 5th Major SO the Fed Ex points for the Players are equal to points for Majors.

Not sure how the purses stack up.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.