• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

You just never know what you will find - when you look.

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
United States United States
Saturday, February 15th I sold a couple guitars. One fellow wanted me to meet him at this obscure flea market kind of inbetween my town of Cleveland, TN and the entrance to the Smokie Mountains just East of here. I got there first, and since I had just sold three golf club hat racks, decided to walk through this very old indoor flea market to see if I could score a few clubs to make racks out of.
Right away I found some nice Golfsmith clubs, and in that mix was a Malty Sand Slider. Picture below. What an odd club. Just a triangle with a hosel, really. It had seen some use, but it seems like some kind of Alien knockoff, or a club that actually would slide over the sand to chip your ball out. Just strange.

Then I was walking around looking for more, and this guy kept yelling to me, "Hey Mister", Yeah, you". Apparently he picked me out since I was carrying the Golfsmith clubs. I finally turned, since the place was pretty deserted, and he said take a look at this: He reached behind a chair against the wall of his display area and pulled out the Banjo Putter in the picture. I had JUST barely heard of these, certainly never saw or held one in real life. He didn't seem to know what he had, but knew it was rare. We went 'round for a while, settling on $15. When I got home I cleaned it up and started looking on the Net. Much to my surprise, the company was started right here in Cleveland, TN, by a retired engineer named Gene Yost. He made it all the way to getting stainless steel bodies, chrome shafts and SS wire from Asia, got a trademark and patent, but as far as I can tell, there is no way the USGA would ever, ever approve this thing.
This must be a very early one, made here in Cleveland. He started out, according to one article, with brass solid bodies but the final product sold on the Internet and in golf shops was Stainless. This one has not only a brass body, but a simple painted black shaft, and an old Tacky-Mac putter grip. Prototype, maybe??

I found an article about Arnold Palmer's putter collection, and it mentions a Banjo Putter. It notes that the putter works well.
I can tell you, the putter pops the ball off those wires. My little indoor putting surface, it just propels the ball way easier than any other putter I own. I can see this thing shrinking a large green easily, and that is why I am sure the USGA never approved this thing. Gene Yost died in 2009, and his company folded sometime between its start in 2002 and 2009.
You never see any on eBay, and the only one I could find for sale was a 2006 posting from a guy in Canada.
Just another lost design! Now safely in my collection...

The Maltby Sand Slider
DSC04990.JPG

The Banjo Putter
DSC04991.JPG

DSC04992.JPG

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Amazing!!!! What a find!! Now I have even more desire to go "dumpster diving" in the near future.

OP
Tennessee

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
Wouldn't you think I have to play at least a round with this thing? I mean, how can you resist???
I may sneak it in as a 15th club if I go alone next week. GOTTA putt this thing on a large green!

OP
Tennessee

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
YES...I plan on a first round next week here in SE Tennessee. For sure, my bag will contain...a Banjo Putter.

Andy C

May 31, 2015
Country
I bought my banjo putter new from Banjoputter.com many years ago for $75. I can't remember the exact year but I know my father in law at the time had one and after using it I had to have it as well. It is the only putter I have had in my bag for many years. One of my friends I golf with has asked me when I am going to get a real putter. My reply is when I start putting poorly with this one. I was asked recently in a amateur golf tournament if it was legal. My search for the answer is what lead me to this site and post. All I could tell him was I could not find anything that said it was illegal, and if I ever make it to the PGA I will ask em.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.