1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

You might as well be brutally honest!

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by EnglishGolfer, Feb 27, 2006.

1. EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer Talks a good game

I filmed this on my cheapo phone so its very poor quality, but nevertheless feel free to give me your opinions http://media.putfile.com/Driver36

I've given enough of you grief over your swings so go nuts (it's only fair you get a chance to give it back I suppose). However if you see any good points, then pointing them out might bring a little smile to a sad golfers face.

Addition: Found this clip too http://media.putfile.com/Wedge

2. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

Anyone else have trouble opening these putfile videos? They always come up with a broken link and freeze up my IE. I have to close internet explorer just to get rid of it.

3. Scotty01292

Scotty01292 Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......

It won't open

4. Davebud

Davebud Crackhead Zebra

me

I can't get them to show for me either.

5. EnglishGolfer

anyone know any other sites I can use instead of putfile?

6. Slingblade61

Slingblade61 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

yeah, you can put it here.

avi or .mov or qt

7. EnglishGolfer

Tried that before but they are 3GP files which are no good here.

8. EnglishGolfer

it seems to be working now if anyone is still patient enough to have a look

9. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

Hard to tell from that crappy video, but hey, that looks like a damned good swing to me! Looks balanced and powerful. I like the rebound at the end of your swing. Shows you are really swinging through the ball on plane.

10. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good to me. I envy the way you keep that left arm so straight. I tend to let mine bend near the top and have straighen it back out as I come down. Do have any problems swinging that hard with the wedge shots?

11. EnglishGolfer

I have had a really crappy day at work today and was in a foul mood, but I've got a smile on my face now after reading yours and Ezra's comments. Ta for that, you've made my day.

However, back slapping apart I do honestly welcome constructive criticism as my consitency isn't very, well consistent i suppose. i'm good off the tee and with 6 iron and up off the deck, but since I changed my swing a couple of years ago I can no longer hit below a 5 iron off the deck with any confidence. They go everywhere, if there is a most commoon bad shot it's that I seem to hit them fat which is a bit mystifying as i am a robot when it comes to my set up routine with every club.

12. EnglishGolfer

Yes I do, so I don't attempt to swing anywhere near as hard with my irons as my driver. there's a big confidence issue which prevents that. I have long legs and average arms so I find that I have to bend my knees a lot to get a good balanced set up with 9i and up, and on regular occassions I slightly clip my right thigh with the butt of the grip on the backswing which is something you'd expect from a beginner really.

13. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem at 6'1". Thats why I don't bother with the long irons. I carry 23 and 25 degree Sonartec MD's. I can hit the long irons at the range but it takes 3 or 4 shots to make the adjustment (and the first 2 hurt like hell). With my 8-PW I take a wider and slightly open stance. With 5-7 I'll take a good 5 or 6 practice swings before even thinking about the shot, then 3 or 4 more after that. Fortunately I usually only hit these clubs on long par 3's or short par 5's.

14. EnglishGolfer

I'm 6'1" also, nice to know I'm not the only one with this somewhat embarrassing problem. Have you got any clips of your swing?

15. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

No, fortunately.:) I plan to coerce my dad into doing a little video this year so I can see what it really looks like. I modeled it after Adam Scott so that is what I am trying to accomplish. Golf digest has swing archives on their site if you want to take a look at his. I have come pretty close to getting a lesson but I am afraid to. I don't want anyone trying to make any real big changes in my swing. I would like a video of what I am doing when I hit the shots I am trying to, that would be nice to have.

16. EnglishGolfer

I too avoided lessons except when I used to get them for free. I like to think that I've got a good knowledge of swing mechanics so I was convinced I knew what was best for myself. An hour on video soon opened my eyes! I had always tried to model myself on Faldo in his prime and then changed this to Els. However with my build (skinny), I struggled to maintain the angles as they do and after years of kidding myself i changed my swing and simplified everything as much as possible (hopefully not too dis-similar to Adam Scott, but that might be wishful thinking on my part).

17. Eracer

You say you have an unusual body structure (short arms / long legs). Have you been professionally fitted for your irons?

I can see why the longer irons might be more of a problem (besides the fact that they are more of a problem for all us hackers out there...) because you swing with a very fast tempo, which demands good timing.

18. EnglishGolfer

I thought my tempo was rather slow really?

19. Eracer

Maybe the cell phone video is the culprit, making it look faster than it really is...or maybe my molasses tempo has me thinking your maple syrup swing is fast. Or maybe the lack of coffee when I viewed it make it look faster. I just watched it again, and you're right, it does seem to be a pretty moderate tempo.

20. EnglishGolfer

I am starting to like you (in a manly way of course, ahem!)