• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your balls, Your Score..

al_vorster

"that's a gimme"
Mar 27, 2015
South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
GolfBall.jpg

Why do you prefer the ball you play with or don't you really mind playing with any brand/type? My question: Is the marketing of the ball and the actual feel/result of playing with the ball coming together for you? I don't mind playing with the "not so fancy" ball... I'm wondering how much our games are really improved by the stuff it says on the box.

Small case study: This weekend (social game) I hit a new Pro V1 in the water (par 3) and reloaded with a Titleist PTS that is much harder. Knocked it close and made the four - on firm winter greens here in SA... Wish I made the same swing on the Pro V! :p

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I've played ProV1s since they first came out. I played Titleist Balatas before that and Titleist DTs before that. Not sure why I got hooked on Titleist, but it wasn't from marketing. I don't think I buy anything based on its marketing because I know it's all puffery.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've been playing mid level balls (D2, Q Star, E7, etc.) for years. However, this last round I picked up some Pro V1 practice balls (range balls from the Phoenix Open) and I think I'm beginning to see the light.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've played ProV1s since they first came out. I played Titleist Balatas before that and Titleist DTs before that. Not sure why I got hooked on Titleist, but it wasn't from marketing. I don't think I buy anything based on its marketing because I know it's all puffery.

Just hearing the commercials or seeing the commercials makes you subconsciously know the Titleist name over others. Product recognition is huge. Even if someone knows nothing about golf, but knows the Titleist name, they're more likely to choose their product over another product of unknown manufacturer.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've been playing mid level balls (D2, Q Star, E7, etc.) for years. However, this last round I picked up some Pro V1 practice balls (range balls from the Phoenix Open) and I think I'm beginning to see the light.

I always played mid-level balls because I couldn't really afford the top tier ones. I started buying last years or leftover top tier balls. They're definitely making a difference in my game. I was a huge skeptic that a ball could make a difference, but I have since changed my mind after using them.

I still won't pay >$40/dozen. But if I can get a year old premium ball for < $30/dozen...i'll grab them.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I've played ProV1 and ProV1x for most of my 10-12 year golfing life. This year I decided to give an honest try to the new Bridgestone Tour B330 and Tour B330-S by purchasing 24 of each ball off golfballnut.com (to avoid paying full price). I've been doing this for about 3 months now and have many rounds with both the B330 and the B330-S. I didn't just play it for 9 holes and say "meh, its not for me". I will say this, the B330 is a great golf ball. And it cuts through the wind, now doubt. It actually has a good feel putting as well. Spin is just fine, nothing crazy, definitely less than the V1 from 100 in. Playing the B330 did nothing to hurt my score, and on a few windy days may have helped. However, I played yesterday and put the ProV1x back into play for the first time in months. I can say now and until my next experiment, that it is the ball for me. I can't say exactly why, the sound off the club? The feel off the club/putter? The way it holds greens? I don't know, but I'm comfortable with it, and maybe that's all it is. And what else could you want?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I always played mid-level balls because I couldn't really afford the top tier ones. I started buying last years or leftover top tier balls. They're definitely making a difference in my game. I was a huge skeptic that a ball could make a difference, but I have since changed my mind after using them.

I still won't pay >$40/dozen. But if I can get a year old premium ball for < $30/dozen...i'll grab them.
A place here in town sells the premium (Pro V1, B330, etc.) practice balls for $1 each.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Just hearing the commercials or seeing the commercials makes you subconsciously know the Titleist name over others. Product recognition is huge. Even if someone knows nothing about golf, but knows the Titleist name, they're more likely to choose their product over another product of unknown manufacturer.
That may be, but like I said, I've been playing Titleist since about... 1987? I worked at the golf course and was able to play any ball I wanted, got hooked on the DTs and never looked back. I don't even think I watched golf on tv back then, so I didn't get wrapped up in the hype. I just knew I liked 'em.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like a higher spin ball. I've mainly played the ProV for the last 10 years because I knew I liked them and I don't want to experiment with my 40-50 bucks, just to try another brand. Last year I picked up 2 dozen Z-Stars for $30 and I really like those a lot. Now that I'm pissed off at Titleist, I probably won't ever buy another ProV. Marketing had nothing to do with me finding the Z-Stars...it was the price.

Members online

No members online now.