• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Favorite Ball?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've spent the summer trying every ball out there and have come up with my list of favorites.

These are the "most bang for the buck" and not necessary the best ball I've found. But the best ball for a fair amount of money where with my game I can't see any difference.

1. Srixon Q-Star - a winner for $24/dozen
2. Srixon Z-Star - best ball but too expensive.
3. TaylorMade Penta - really good but too expensive.
4. Titleist ProV1x - great ball but too expensive.
5. Bridgestone B330RX - great ball but too expensive.
6. Strixon Distance - great ball for cheap.
7. Nike Mojo - great ball for cheap.

Flops

1. Bridgestone B330RXs - Horrible feeling ball. This is what Bridgestone recommended for me.
2. Anything Callaway.
3. Anything Nike over $20/doz.

What's your list look like?

:confused:

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Having played several different makes this summer I have the following list:

1. Callaway HX(s) - I am playing to a HDCP of 4 since I started using this ball
2. Taylormade TP Black
3. Whatever ball I find on the course
4 and beyond: anything made by Nike or Titleist, and the Taylormade Penta

I buy all my balls used now so the premium balls are less than $20 a dozen which works for me.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Callaway Tour I(s)
Callaway Tour I(z)
Bridgestone B330RXS, (they work great for me)
Taylormade Penta
Srixon Z Star

All the above balls are to expensive for everyday play, reserved for tournies or days when I'm really hitting the ball good and keeping it in the fairway. Luckily I find a boat load of ProV1's and ProV1x's on my home course, so that is what I usually play on a daily basis.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have 10 dozen Callaway Tour I(s) in the basement and 6 dozen Tour I(z).

I bought a box of Nike 20XI D's in the basement that I will give to my son to bat around in the backyard. Terrible golf balls.

I also played ProVx this year for two rounds and gave them to my playing partner. Same thing with Penta's.

Neither one holds a candle to the Iz/Is in my opinion.

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm currently half way through a box of Srixon Z Star XV (I think that's what they are). Decent balls actually, they have a ton of spin with full wedge shots, maybe too much. Good feeling ball with nice flat trajectory.

Don't care for any of Callaways offerings and don't like the Penta. Other than that, all tour balls are pretty much the same to me.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I guess there is not much to say about premium balls, except Nike balls suck, but for the "low grade balls", here are my choices

1. TM Burner TP: I've always loved this ball. I haven't played the new Tour Burner which is the replacement, but the TP is still on the market and I can understand why
2. Wilson FG Tour: Actually a very nice surprise. I wasn't expecting much, and its an awesome ball. It gets second place to the TP just for the higher price
3. TF Gamer V2: Not the best ball ever, but a very good competitor, and finding a 15 pack for under $20 is a no-brainer

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Co-sign on the V2. When I'm low on funds, I always buy the Gamers...if I can find them. I also like the Pinnacle's in the blue box...not sure what they're called, used to be called Exception but I think that has since changed. They play a lot like the NXT Tour, which are way over priced if you ask me.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The ones with dimples.

Honestly, i don't play enough to see much difference between balls. I've hit the expensive ones, i've hit top rocks.

I stick to Gamer V2's. They're good for the money and the money isn't a lot.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I haven't tried Nike's new ball, the 20XI or whatever it is. I've never been overly impressed with any of their balls, certainly not enough to shell out almost $50 a dozen for them. I'd like to find one and give it a go, but there is no way I'm spending that kind of money on them due to my past experiances with Nike balls.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I haven't tried Nike's new ball, the 20XI or whatever it is.

I've heard that the ball plays really long, and has a ton of green-side spin. I read about a couple tour players that quit using the ball because it messed their yardages up with their irons...they were hitting them too far. After hearing that, I kinda want to try it out.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I read about a couple tour players that quit using the ball because it messed their yardages up with their irons...they were hitting them too far.

I call BS on this. Not that you heard it; that it is true. ANY golfer will adjust their game to increase iron distance with similar control. If control was compromised in place of distance, i can see that. But then "distance" wouldn't be the reason they stopped using them.

Any time you can get a shorter iron in your hand on a shot is a huge plus.

For the record, the 20XI's are not that great a ball. Pretty much the same as any Nike ball. You can throw down just about any of them and they all play the same, IMO.

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I call BS on this. Not that you heard it; that it is true. ANY golfer will adjust their game to increase iron distance with similar control. If control was compromised in place of distance, i can see that. But then "distance" wouldn't be the reason they stopped using them.

Any time you can get a shorter iron in your hand on a shot is a huge plus.

For the record, the 20XI's are not that great a ball. Pretty much the same as any Nike ball. You can throw down just about any of them and they all play the same, IMO.

R35

This might clarify it for you:

At The Barclays, Glover switched back from Nike’s new 20XI ball to the Nike One Tour D ball. Why? Glover said he was hitting the ball “too far.”

What this means is that Glover wasn’t comfortable with distance control on iron shots. He said he would experiment with the new ball and reconfigure his distances in the offseason.

I thought I heard there was someone else also, but I may be mistaken.

But thanks anyway for raining on my parade. Now I'm not excited about trying them too soon. :p

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
My swing just isn't consistent enough to really feel a difference in the balls I play. I live on a course; and find enough balls while walking my dog that I haven't had to buy a ball for the past five years. Initially, I tried to separate the balls by type; but I don't even do that anymore...I just have numerous plastic buckets that I keep them in. I rarely can even tell you what kind of ball I'm hitting. Often, when my playing partners are trying to identify balls in the fairway, they will ask me what I was hitting. I usually just tell them that I don't know; but my ball is marked with a black "N". On any given day, I can shoot better scores with Top Flites than I can with the more expensive balls....on other days, the opposite will be true.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I haven't purchased balls in years. Still have a couple dozen ProV's in the basement, unopened. There's probably 6 dozen 'AA' ProV's in egg cartons in the basement also. Have played ProV's for the past few years, loving them and their performance. This season, I have been somewhat unfaithful to the old reliables.

We have a couple 5-gallon buckets of "experienced balls" in the garage. Another 2 or 3 5-gallon buckets of balls are in the front of our cart shed. Playing the first tee times on Saturday and Sunday, we find an astronomical number of "lost" balls. The good ones... we keep and play. The rest find their way to the buckets.

I have tried almost everything Callaway and cannot find one that feels/performs for me. The new PentaTP balls are fantastic. Won't buy them, due to the price and current inventory. Just don't take the time to play anything else.

This season, I have lost distance. Have gained a litle back with a new, yet un-named, driver in the bag. Will see if it continues to perform and, if it does, may be back in full form with my ProV supply. As the lack of distance became a challenge, I have played some SoLo and NXT Tours. These are in pretty good supply in what we find along the course. They do not have the feel of the ProV, but I can pick up a couple extra yards with them. They change the way you chip to our small greens. But, that adjustment is mainly mental.

It will be interesting to see if Titleist remains the cornerstone of the ball market since being purchased by an Asian firm. There is lots of competition out there... Srixon, Bridgestone, Callaway, TMAG... and they all are quality products.

🔥 Latest posts