1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Favorite Ball?

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by warbirdlover, Oct 11, 2011.

1. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

United States United States
    Im doing well, thanks. Been busy with work and kids...haven't played much golf this year. Congrats on going to IU, that's a good school. Good to see you around ST!

2. PMay

PMay Well-Known Member

I try to stick my head in every now and then but thanks. I saw that you have another one on the way congratulations. I really like it at IU its tough but its good for me.

3. D2Doug

D2Doug Active Member

personally, I think as your game changes, sometimes, your ball needs to change too, even during a season. For me, I am swinging the drivcer harder now than I have in a long time, I am distance gaining and seeking, so I am trying some different balls. But I won't buy over a few dozen at a time of any one ball. I keep a few on hand for different courses, conditions, etc... But I don't like a ball that is to hard feeling. Truthfully, there are decent inexpensive balls like a Precept, but I tend to buy higher end Titleist/Bridgestone ProV1, ProV1X, 300RX, 300RXS. That gives me some variety. If I play a course with a lot of hazards, sometimes, I will go with some cheaper balls on higher risk holes. But that happens less than it used to consistency wise. But with forged irons, that are nice, I won't play damaged balls. So a cart path,they are trashed pretty much unless I am practicing only with my cast irons. (both Mizuno JPX-800 line.) Pro and standard.

4. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

I try some of the top name balls from time to time, but I keep going back to the Top Flite D2 Feel. At a buck apiece, you can't go wrong.

5. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    I have a large (too large) stockpile of premium balls that I've picked up through various sales. One thing though. I also have a supply of the Nike PD Soft (ie. second tier ball) that I use when I'm having an off day or am playing a course with way too much danger b/c they're fairly cheap. Pound for pound, they perform as well as any of the premium balls that I use. Distance off the tee & stopping around the greens are A1. If ego didn't get in the road, I'd probably play the PD soft as my every day gamer.

6. MyBluC4

MyBluC4 Well-Known Member

Bridgestone B330 Tours
    TaylorMade Penta

7. xamilo

xamilo Right Curving Driver.... Supporting Member

I actually hate that ball. The first ball I ever played was a Nike PD Straight, and I used to love them, so my obvious next choice was the PD Soft. I bought a whole box without trying them, but expecting they would be awesome since they were "softer" than the Straight I used. Wrong choice. I couldn't hit one straight hit with them and they felt like hardened popcorn. Never again.

After some time and practice and dropping my HC under 20, I found the remaining balls I had and thought "Hum, maybe I didn't have the game for the ball", so I used them again. Exact same result, so I gave them away immediately.

It's great it works for you, but it was the worst ball for my game ever....

8. usa1950

usa1950 Divots like a 72 Playboy

Reviving an old thread but I can't get over how great the Srixon Z-Star balls are. As much spin off the irons as any ball I've ever played including Pro-V's and all balls in that tier, but unlike most of the balls that will "shred" a little or get groove marks after just a few holes, the Srixon Z-Stars defy physics.

No way a cover this durable can spin as much as they do. I'm amazed EVERY round.

9. BStone

BStone PGA Class A Professional Supporting Member

Contrary to most of the above opinions, I really like the Nike 20xi-s balls, was not a fan of the 20xi-x though. I also like the Bridgestone B330 and the new Penta balls. I strongly disliked the Hex Tour Black and all of the Srixon Z Star balls.

10. usa1950

usa1950 Divots like a 72 Playboy

Never played a Nike 20 ball. What do you like about them, in comparison to others?

11. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

ProV1, B330s, Penta TP

12. MIKE1218

MIKE1218 Top Bloke

TP Red. The Penta is okay but I prefer the old reds. Other than that the B330S.

13. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

ProV1x. All of the tour balls are about the same for me though.

14. cypressperch

cypressperch Well-Known Member

Warbird, you said the Bridgestone was a great ball but too expensive, and then you called it a flop with horrible feel. I was recommended the same ball. It has a different feel/sound to it, but I have come to really like this ball, especially around and on the greens Yes, they are expensive, but it seems that once a year they give you a good shirt or wind breaker when you buy two dozen. That will easily last me a year along with all the balls I find.
    Srixon makes some good cheaper balls like the 333 and the Soft Feel. the Tri-Speed is good but it costs about the same as NXT-Tour. Calloway just don't do anything for me, or Nike or Topflite. Bridgestone, Titliest, and Srixon are the three best companies, also Taylormade,,,,, especially the PENTA, but yes, it is expensive unless you find them. CP

15. indacup

indacup Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Since the topic is best ball for the price...I have to mention one that really caugfht me off guard...after testing so many balls this season (physically and electronically), I had decided that the best one for the price was the new Titleist NXT tour-S

THen, that changed about a month ago.

We got a sample box of the Wilson Duo balls (retail $19.95) and these are AWESOME...extremely long off the driver...very soft feel...stops like a magnet on a skittle and putts true.

I can honestly say that price regardless, I would probably stick with this ball for my gamer.

It is THAT good.

16. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

Blasphemy Indacup! That's not a major OEM ball! How could you?

In all seriousness, i've been wanting to try the FG Tour ball. Never thought about the Duo.

17. cypressperch

cypressperch Well-Known Member

Yes, I said that I find different kinds of golf balls and I do use them. However, I only buy Bridgestone Tour B330 RX golf balls. If I am going to play in a tournament or some important match, I only play that ball. On the practice green, I only putt, chip, and pitch with that ball. Somewhere I read that to truly know a ball you have to play only that ball for quite a while. I think that is absolutely the truth. Try a bunch of different ones, narrow them down to the one that is truly your favorite, and then stick with that one. Your short game will improve quite a bit, enough to be measured in strokes. Sincerely, cypressperch

18. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I too have been wanting to try the FG Tour ball, the Duo though never crossed my mind. Is it a 3 piece?

19. nututhugame

Don't know... I'll have to do some research.

20. nututhugame

Nope, 2 piece with 40 compression.