• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your putting tempo?

Your putting tempo?

• 60 bpm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66 bpm

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 72 bpm

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 78 bpm

• 84 bpm

• 90 bpm

• 96 bpm

• 102 bpm

• 108 bpm

• Who cares?

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
In a continuing effort to improve my abyssmal putting, I am concentrating on tempo and rythym. Seems to work for other important things, so why not for putting?

Pelz in section 11.3 of Putting Bible talks about it in terms of relating it to your walking speed, which I don't totally agree with. After years of marching in the Army, I unconsciously walk at 120 steps per minute, which would equate to a very fast 96 beats per minute on Pelz's putting scale.

Instead, I seem to putt best at about 72 beats per minute, which is kind of slow. Since a true pendulum has an inate period related solely to the length of the pendulum and the strength of gravity (an accepted constant here on earth) , wouldn't your best putting tempo be based on the effective length of your putting pendulum? I.e., the distance between your shoulders and the ball?

Here is a shareware electronic metronome if anyone wants to try it out and find your optimum putting tempo.Seems to work on my PC running XP with no problems.
http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.php[id]80733[cid]201[SiteID]pcmag

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I haven't got a clue, and I have no intention of even thinking about it. That's getting far too mechanical for me. I putt just fine, and all I can do by thinking about that sort of thing is screw myself up...:dead:

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Darn it, I knew I should have put a 10th choice in that poll: who cares? Poll edited so you can tell me I'm a maroon.

Oh well, just trying to bring a little science to the place..............

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
None of the Above as is evident in my results, you try to 42 putt 18 holes with any rythym, it's just not possible.:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Uh, putting tempo?

It'll be the day that my putting is dictated by something outside of my own brain telling me to put the ball in the hole.

I wouldn't have the foggiest. Hell, I couldn't even lie about it if I had to.:D

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I haven't got a clue, and I have no intention of even thinking about it. That's getting far too mechanical for me. I putt just fine, and all I can do by thinking about that sort of thing is screw myself up...:dead:
Ditto, for me it would be kinda like the technique I use when shooting, and trying to slow down my heart rate and putt between heartbeats. Alot of people do use a metronome, and another reason that I will never pick up Pelz's Putting bible. I like his writing, but at this point he would likely only screw up my putting by making me think about things I have putted well without thinking about in the past.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Hey, the way I play, a bogey is a good score.

It's the doubles, triples, and quads that irritate me. A couple of weeks ago, I actually got to use the old joke: How do you make an 11 on a par 5?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I took a 9 on a par 5 once. Windy day, tho. And some water helped.

I also took a 7 on a par 3 last year. That was my worst hole ever I think.

R35

🔥 Latest posts